main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Where was the first reference to the first Obi Wan / Vader duel?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Ferder, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Ferder

Ferder Jedi Youngling

Dec 6, 2012
    Long before even the Phantom Menance was released I remember hearing about how Anikan Skywalker had turned into Darth Vader after Obi Wan dueled him and pushed him into lava. This is of course more or less what happens in Revenge of the Sith, so I was wondering how this was already common knowledge before that film was released. Where was this originally explained? The books? The expanded universe?

Sith_Lord_Sam likes this.
  2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    First I know of was in the Return of the Jedi novel. I haven't read it, but apparently Obi-Wan comments that when Vader came out of the lava, his good side, Anakin, was completely gone.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Star Wars (ANH) novelization.

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    First public reference to the Duel was in an interview with GL in Rolling Stone, August 25, 1977:

http://starwarz.multiply.com/journal/item/10/1977_Rolling_Stone_George_Lucas_Interview

Some other discussion here:

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-volcano-planet-battle-so-long-ago.31980756/

It's not in the SW novelisation, only in the ROTJ one.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, the first non-interview would be the ROTJ novel. Hamill also described it in 1983 in some interview or another.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars Poster Monthly basically copied the info from the interview and put it into a detailed Vader article, shortly afterward.

7. FStop7

FStop7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2012
    I remember it being depicted in a comic book, too. Late 70s / early 80s.

8. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Really? Never came across that, just the interviews & the mentions in the novelisation. I've got a heap of unread downloads of the Marvel SW comics, but based on what I've read about the Marvel series, there's no actual references to the Duel itself that I'm aware of. There's material in the later (post-ROTJ) Marvel comics which feature Anakin's ghost, plus references to "Owen's brother", i.e. Obi-Wan, but don't recall anything about the Duel.

Wouldn't be surprised if something slipped through the cracks in some other obscure official channel, however. The infamous SW Poster Monthly #4 outlining the development of stormtroopers as clones is a prime example.

9. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    It might also be something like Mad or Cracked presenting something like it - I remember an issue where they have a joking article about the tons of episodes SW has. I even read it at a time when I knew there were only three (I think) but I still "remember" the feeling of there being more.

10. zodiac brave

zodiac brave Jedi Youngling

Dec 11, 2012
    its funny...growing up, im sure id have to have read it somewhere, but cant remember for the life of me. it was just one of those things that was. lol...just materialized in my head along with tons of other knowledge. weird! but obviously, it REALLY came from some of those places mentioned above.

11. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I remember that, it was reprinted a few years ago in a MAD SW special. IIRC, there were a lot of references to stuff not included in the films that only fanboys would know, the Duel might have been one of them. That would make sense, I really don't think the Marvel series touched on it.

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I only remember that one of the joke sequel titles was "MAKIN' WOOKIEE". :p