main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Timing of Episode VII and the 3D releases of the OT

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Dec 5, 2012.

1. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    What a marketing dream for Disney.

2014 will no doubt feature the 3D releases of the OT as by fall 2013 the last two prequels will have been released.

I can't think of a better way to build up the hype for Episode VII.

They can even debut a special teaser trailer for VII that will only play during showings of ROTJ 3D. Makes total sense considering VII is the sequel.

"...this is where the fun begins."

Echo-07 and fistofan1 like this.
  2. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Since the same thing happened with the 1997 special editions—the originals brought back into theaters to whet the public's appetite for the prequels—I'm wondering whether this ST has been in the planning for a while now.

KED12345, DarthRelaxus and Echo-07 like this.
  3. DV75

DV75 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2001
    Could very well have been.

Its just too perfect for it NOT to have been planned this way.

4. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    Are there release dates now for Episodes II and III 3D? Just went and looked up the Sept 20 and Oct 4 release dates. Good.

I thought of this timing and how perfect it is and I think I agree with Count Yubnub. This seems like Lucas may have had an inkling long before the official announcement.

5. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    hopefully after this trilogy it wont be another decade before we see new star wars movies.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Yes it would be a great marketing tool but I'm not so sure I want the OT in 3D .

7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Not sure if this was planned out from the start, as I recall Lucasfilm originally said each 3D SW movie would come out a year after the other until 2017. They have since changed that, presumably because they realised it would conflict with the release of Episode VII.

I have no problem with seeing SW in the cinema again, whatever format it is in. But the 40th Anniversary of ANH is in 2017 so they need to do something special for then.

kataja likes this.
  8. HankSolo

HankSolo Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    I agree.

9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I really hope they keep up with the 3D re-release of the OT cuz if 2 3D Star Wars re-release movies in theatres in 2013, plus 3 star wars re-releases in 2014, then a new Star Wars movie in 2015 that's superawesome.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  10. Static_Knight

Static_Knight Jedi Youngling

Nov 28, 2012
    I would rather them re-release the films in cinema in the normal format. No more of this 3D. It gives me a headache costs so much. I love the fact that I can re-experience the films in the theater, but the 3D experience really ruins it for me.

11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    It kind of sucks that the TPM has already had its turn. I guarantee it would probably have made twice as much money in 3D after the ST announcement. At least i would've seen it.

Fear not. Disney already annmounced that after Episode 7 they plan on releasing a new SW movie every 2 or 3 years (kind of like the James Bond plan.)

12. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    *might* have had an inkling?

Are you serious? It was a $4 billion dollar deal, he's probably been working on the deal for years.

kataja likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Being familiar with corporate M&A , I would speculate that Disney's planned buyout didnt become very serious until no more than a year ago. Its hard to keep a secret in the financial markets, and we didnt hear a single rumor of the buyout until it occurred. So while, Disney may have dreamed of acquiring LucasFilm for years, I am not sure that any serious negotiations occured much beyond the start of 2012.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  14. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    The initial releases were meant to be once every year. I think the reason they changed this schedule was once they knew the ST would be going ahead and Ep 7 coming out in 2015. Ergo, they didn't know about the ST when they initially planned the 3D releases.

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Personally, I believe the reason they released the movies in 3D and the Blu-Ray Star Wars was to get money to make Star Wars Episode VII - IX, with Episode VII coming out not long after Episode VI hit theaters in 3D. It was only when the Disney/LucasFilm deal was finalized that this changed, and Episode VII was moved up to 2015 instead of being in like 2018. I think Episode VII has been in the works, at least in GL and a few others heads, for at least two years.

FinleySlade likes this.
  16. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    Well of course he knew for months, that's why I said "he may have had an inkling long before." As Bazinga'd pointed out these types of deals have to move quickly. My company recently merged with another multi-billion dollar company. The CEO said that from initial discussion to announcement was about a 5 month process, and that was a lot bigger deal than $4B. I think GL may have tested the waters long before, but I think his timing of the releases indicates how much of an inkling he had. Though as anyone who has worked with M&A knows, Lucasfilm would have to be extremely careful, you're not allowed to significantly alter business plans in light of a potential merger. As the SEC says, "it must be business as usual."

17. Julius Vernon

Nov 7, 2012
    I find this scenario highly likely. I think GL may have started having ideas about the film and may have felt overwhelmed by the amount of work he'd have to put in again. He probably knew at some point he'd sell Lucasfilm and thought the timing couldn't be better.

18. my kind of scum

my kind of scum Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2002
    TPM was also released in 2d at the same time as 3d. I see no reason they wouldn't continue the trend with the others.

19. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    As I said in another thread, I was wondering why they sped up the release schedule, until the ST news hit. Now it makes perfect sense. What I am wondering now is if they will make further adjustments for the ST. Some speculated that Anakin's force ghost was altered, so that Hayden could play the part in the ST. Since many want Ewan as Obi's ghost as well, they could easily alter the whoöe shot, so that we would see Shaw, Guiness and Yoda, who then morph/transform in their younger incarnations... Oh and the should finally fix that Greedo BS and the damn NOOOOO (in both ROTS and ROTJ).

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This going to be the Special Editions all over again. A new era of Star Wars is just around the corner.

21. Ron Fett

Ron Fett Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    This is a great way to boost interest among people who have never seen the OT. RotJ better have an awesome teaser for VII.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Yes, by the time ROTJ is in theaters again, this would make perfect sense.

23. Frank_TJ_Mackey

Frank_TJ_Mackey Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2000
    Before this Forum, people who had an urge to talk about SW would do it on the usenet system.

I started there in 1996 and at that time, we were hundred on fans bickering about the past and future of SW. It was called RASSM.

During those years, I became friendly with some of the SW authors. We exchanged hundred of emails. Since the www was not as massive as it is now, trusting people who were sharing the same passion was natural.

Since then, I've lost all communication with all of them......since I've stopped going there around 2002.

However, I can tell you that all the authors with whom I exchanged emails told me that "It's pretty clear that there is a plan in place for Episodes 7-8-9)". Under the seal of confidentiality, they told me some vague things about the "plan" and "rules" regarding the ST.

During those discussions, I was always surprised by how "sure" the authors were that Episodes 7-8-9 would get made.

Now, I don't pretend to be an insider......since some things I was told at that time by the authors have been contradicted. Example, Luke Skywalker was not supposed to get romantically involved with anyone.

But some things about those rules still make sense today.

I'm sure that the plan in 1995 was to make a ST down the road. I also think that Lucas may have been tired of SW after the prequels and decided to trash the plan/rules for the ST.

There was always a plan to make the ST trilogy down the road and Lucas decided that he would not be the guy at the front row this time.

I know that people will throw apples at me, since I may sound like a guy who has inside knowledge about the ST.

Nope, I was simply at the right place (RASSM) at the right time (before the prequels).

kataja and Count Yubnub like this.
  24. yggdrasil311

yggdrasil311 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 7, 2004
    Agreed that the build up with be very suspenseful.

Including the removal of the Vader NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and the restoration of older anakin.

/better happen
    //stab animals.

25. aguywithabiggun

aguywithabiggun Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 1999
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Here kitty kitty[face_skull]