main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I honestly think the Nightsisters came out of TCW pretty nicely.

[face_devil]

2. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I agree I love the Nightsister's in TCW I guess my problem was the Zabrak thing. Not really familiar with the Galaxies or Empire at War so I based my view on books and that woman from Ewok's movie [face_skull]

3. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I liked the way the Nightsisters were potraited, but I didn't like the idea of having 'Nightbrothers' living next to them. Darth Maul should have been an Irodonian. I love Irodonians!

If Filoni remains in command of the Star Destroyer TCW, he will change the backstory of every villain and make them all Nightbrothers.
    Palpatine, the Nightbrother. Dooku, the Nightbrother. And even Boba Fett the Nightbrother. :eek:

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You joke, but when I suggested Nightsisters as the antagonist in the Disney thread, it crossed my mind how easily someone with no interest in the EU could twist Sith Lords into just the masculine parallel of Nightsisters and make them the same group ruled by the Lords and Sisters. :p

5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Cronal likes this.
  6. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    It isn't very often that you actually see hazards in hyperspace. A nice touch I think.

7. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Huh. Didn't know this one was a part of the droids arc. But I've been looking forward to it ever since Filoni mentioned that it was Moebius-inspired.

...hopefully in more ways than just the use of gradients. :p

8. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    I love how the official SW site links to Wookiepedia with its articles.

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    ...even when the wook page has essentially zero information.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    "Check out Wookieepedia for more information about A Sunny Day in the Void."
    *click*
    "A Sunny Day in the Void was the eleventh episode of Season 5. Check out StarWars.com for more information."
    *click*
    "Check out Wookieepedia for more information about..."

11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Moebius-inspired and a Möbius strip of links to boot.

12. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I'm pleased to see that Carida will be used to host a defense conference. Makes sense, with the Academy in the system.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    In fairness, what haven't you liked about TCW?

14. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    In all honesty, a great majority of the stuff that has been introduced... well, I don't mind it. Anakin having a Padawan in Ahsoka? I don't mind Ahsoka actually and kind of like her as a character. Peaceful Mandalorians? Ok sure, we can easily have them exist in the setting and they provide a different facet for the society. Nightbrothers? Well, ok, maybe the dialogue can be twisted a bit for a good retcon. Don't have much problem with the Nightsisters and in fact think they are a good improvement. Only thing EU wise though is we never see a regular Witch of Dathomir. Darth Maul's return? A bit iffy about that to be honest but one thing that excites me is it brings a new development for the Clone Wars instead of the constant Republic/Separatist conflicts. Whilst fun, it gets a bit repetitive and something needs to be done to shake things up. So, a third faction in the Clone Wars? Very interesting and very Sith-like for Maul.

But all in all, for me, I think some of the stuff I just tend to nitpick. Example being like the recent droid story. It didn't blow me away like say the training of the younglings one. Those I felt were superior. Onderon... well, nice to see the name but I just didn't feel as wowed about it as I did Geonosis, Umbara or Mon Cala (I know, I know, Dac...) The other stuff that kind of kills the EU also is a bit problematic like Adi Gallia's death or Piell's. It just felt like a pointless need to kill them and have it diverge from the EU. Very least, either copy the death they had in the EU or just don't use them and kill someone else off thats established. Also, I think Boba's revenge arc was a bit of a disappointment also. But thats just my view. Oh, and of course the dialogue that contradicts the prequels tend to be a recurring problem (not major but something to nitpick about):

General Grevious: I thought someone with your reputation would be... taller!
    Kenobi: My reputation? Taller? You just saw me last week!

:p

Officer: Is the planet well guarded? Beause the conquest of Carida could be disastrous!
    Caridan: Hah, the day that happens is the day our sun explodes

Would be hilarious if someone said that :D

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    It was Anakin that thought Grievous would be taller.:p

16. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Darn... I was typing that I thought 'Was it Kenobi or Skywalker?' and just was too lazy to check again. Well, you know what i mean anyway :p

17. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    I was wrong too, it was Anakin that thought Grievous would be taller.

No continuity problem unless they have Anakin and Grievous meet before ROTS, which they haven't...yet.

18. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    I actually think that was the only cool part of Shadow Warrior, how they did the Anakin and Greivous not seeing each other.

19. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    They should just have them meet, already, redub Grievous' lines in RotS to be all "We meet again, bwahaha!" and retroactively make Anakin's "You're shorter than I expected" into a joke referencing having cut off his legs the last time they met. Easy.

I'd be all for prequel special editions. There ain't nothing sacred about those movies.

Zorrixor and Cronal like this.
  20. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Heh, fair point. Top of my head?

2/3 of the first season, mostly due to CG asset issues.
    Anything with Jar Jar.
    Almost anything with Padmé.
    Almost anything involving politics at all, which is usually the opposite of how I feel.
    Aryan Mandalorians.
    Moustache-twirling, angry toddler Grievous.
    That Mortis ultimately amounted to nothing, which it had to, because they can only develop Anakin so much in this timespan.
    Savage, entirely.
    Maul, philosophically--though I think they've done it as well as it could possibly have been done.

And, of course, I hate the continuity problems as much as anyone; I just have the ability to separate that from the inchoate merits of any given episode. Like I said once before, I think we need to work harder on differentiating capital-E Errors from New Information. I'm not wild about pacifist Mandalorians or cube cities, but the canon can support them, so whatever.

Really, my biggest complaint about TCW is that a lot of it is middling and forgettable. Sitting here right now trying to think of things that bothered me, I can't think of a lot, because I can't really remember more than a smattering of stories--and the ones that do stick out are the ones I liked a lot, like Umbara, Ryloth, and the Nightsisters. If you were to add up all the TCW episodes I have fully-formed positive opinions of, you'd have maybe a season and a half of material; the rest might as well not have happened. Maybe I come across here as being overly supportive of the show because when I don't enjoy something, I mostly just can't be bothered to engage with it.

21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Well thats fair, because thats completely normal. Most people are going to have likes and dislikes.

I personally like almost all of Season 1 because I feel that the story telling, and writing was far better than it now is. Rookies was amazing, Jedi Crash worked on a number of different levels, Grievous Intrigue was problematic but could still be worked with and even Bombad Jedi, I thought, was a brilliant use of Jar Jar and comedy in a serious setting. Even epsiodes like the Ryloth trio had a lot of depth to them, like Clone Troopers presented with the moral question of saving small children at the risk of completing their mission.

I'm kinda surprised that issues with the CG would turn you off of those stories just because I find the writing for Season 1 was so much better than what we are getting in the last couple Seasons and even most of Season 3.

While I don't like it, the continuity stuff doesn't turn me away from episodes as much as one might think. Some of my favorite epsiodes are the Mandalorian ones from Season 2, despite how much they changed the landscape of what we knew before hand.Things like poor writing, unnuanced villians and frankly predictable plots do that way more to damage this show. That said something like Maul, a straight marketing ploy that has nothing to do with story telling, really frustrates me to no end.

Thats why I look towards some of these most recent episodes, in particular the the one with the droids and the sprout, and wonder if this is the best that TCW can do. There seems to be a growing trend from TCW to decide on episodes based upon how cool something would look and how cool of trailer it will make. Instead they should be concerned with story first and let the visuals look after themselves.

For instance I really feel that they came up with the visual of Maul in a Mandalorian helmet, thought it looked cool and decided to wirte a story around how he got the helmet - rather than figuring out Maul's story first. Just speculation, but thats the vibe I get from the show now. The forward planning is solely about marketing and visuals - storytelling is just a minor problem they have to deal with after the fact.[/spoilers]

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

23. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    [​IMG]

BWAHAHAHAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa*gag*

Cronal likes this.
  24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Are we sure that's RoboMaul and not one of his flunkies? Because... :oops:

25. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    It's - unfortunately - been confirmed in a book.