main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Species Bias

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Chewbacca89, Dec 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    So are there any species that you are biased against based of the actions of a few? Any species that get a bad rap because of one or two people?

The Neimoidians come to mind for me. I kind of write the whole species off because of the trade federation. I'm sure there are noble and kind beings of that race, but haven't seen them portrayed that way.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Type "Sentepeth Findos" into Deviantart.

I dare ya.

Heck, try "Nute Gunray..."

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    All of them.

4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Humans.

Those vermin are worse than Hoojibs, breeding all the time, getting everywhere.

We need a Human cull to bring the numbers down and equalise things, yes, that's what we need, yes.

5. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    GrandAdmiralJello is largely correct here. The overwhelming majority of species in the Star Wars universe are represented by a single character, most of the rest by a mere handful. There are perhaps a few dozen species that have a sufficently large sample size in the universe that they aren't afflicted by inherent bias. Those species are essentially the common NPC species in KOTOR, Galaxies, and TOR. Of course, given the way the setting is developed, that's exactly what we should expect.

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    And they're hideous. But, Arkanians are even uglier! Their skin is too white and their teeth are too straight. Horrible, horrible soft-bodied things.

Gorefiend and Zorrixor like this.
  7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    They even give those Telosian men a run for their money.

TrakNar likes this.
  8. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Lets see, coming to mind right away outside of Nemiodians the next one that comes to mind right away is Rodians, then Trandoshans, Quarren, so on. Even Zeltrons are viewed as being a certain way by many people. On the flip side I don't know that we ever had a Mon Cal or Wookiee villian of much reputation.

9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    It might be interesting to look at this from the opposite angle... what non-human species can we think of that we have seen both positive and negative examples of -- or that are not presented as entirely one-dimensional, like the Noghri who are neither good nor bad IMO, but merely fiercely loyal to whichever side they choose.

Bothans come to mind. Near-humans of all sorts, obviously. Other than that... well, we've seen some Wookiee pirates and stuff, but not really as developed, front-line characters. I'm sure there's more, but can't really think of any right now. Anyone else?

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    [​IMG]

The pin-up star of species trait diversity right there. [face_love]

11. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    Jool is a great example of a good Hutt. I think they are probably the species that I look on with the most bias. They are usually evil/self centered gangsters. Jool being the exception of course

12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    No, Scourge had a good Hutt(well two if you count the Papa). So they are trending towards the good guys right now.

13. TychoCorde

TychoCorde Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 3, 2012
    yeah I remember that now, good book.

I would say the only other two species I have bias against then would be Red Sith, but now that we have Dawn of the Jedi that's bias is changing too, and the Neimoidians.

14. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Well lets see here Weeqay, Rodian, and Nikto, always seem to be bad. There are cases of them being good Jhoram Bey. Dugs seem to be slimy.

If anything I would claim that certain species trend toward a modern sterotype of a nation. Neimodians=Asians, Corellians=Italians

TychoCorde likes this.
  15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Perhaps not of much reputation, but villainous Wookiees don't seem to be uncommon: Chewie's albino rival, his cousin turned slaver, that slaver Wookiee chief and his guards from kotor, the crazy bounty hunter in kotor 2, that Wookiee slaver that worked for that four armed guy, the Wookiee bandits that threatened Bothan space, the crazy Wookiee criminal that worked for that evil Zeltron.......

I wish I was better with names.

16. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    There are alot of warped wookiees but most of the time, they are used as good characters. Granted Hanhar in KOTOR 2 was bad, but Zalbar in KOTOR was good. Look at the wookiee for the smuggler class in TOR. Not to mention wookiee senators, Lowie, Waroo... Mostly good, id give wookiees a 75/25 good/bad ratio

17. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    Funny, I always thought of Corellia as the Texas of the GFFA...

Silas Allender likes this.
  18. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    You have a good point, I guess the Hutts are kind of like the Itallian Mob. I love Corellia. I think anyone who has connections to there is infitily more cool. Look at Corran Horn, he is just a Jedi. But when you read I, Jedi, his character become more than another human Jedi and he has a history beyond himself. Green cloaks, jedi coins...

19. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    Twi'leks are an easy one, simply because we see more of them than almost any other. Unless you were counting them under near-human, but that's a whole 'nother debate.

[​IMG]

Gorefiend, cthugha and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  20. Silas Nightstalker

Silas Nightstalker Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Corellians=Texans

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Squibs

22. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Stackpole clearly established Corellians as the Irish-Americans of the GFFA.

23. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ahem.

"Ooryl is token Gand."

That is all.

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    What is the proof of this, please don't say Green Robes=Irish

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wondered if the big list of "Corellian slurs" he throws at Remart before Remart can think of many, were based on something- but I didn't think of Irish-Americans.

"Why's the most famous Corellian named Solo?"
    "Because no Corellian will ever trust another Corellian."

"How many Corellians does it take to change a lightbulb?"
    "None- if the room's dark you can't see Corellians cheating at sabacc."

"Why do so many Corellians get caught and sent to Kessel?"
    "Because they're lonely for the rest of their family."

Valin__Kenobi, Zeta1127 and TrakNar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.