main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Meh, reminds me of r/explainlikeimjive.

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    You remember those Star Wars Snowflakes that Coffee showed us a while ago?

[​IMG]

I was feeling crafty today.

Gorefiend, cthugha, Ulicus and 4 others like this.
  3. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Did that really necessitate four pieces of tape? :p

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Yes. Yes it did.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  5. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Zuckuss: "Hey guys, take a gander at my snowflake. Get it? GANDer!?"

I'm not sorry.

6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    This is now canon in my mind.

[​IMG]

7. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:_| So cute....

Darth_Kiryan and Point Given like this.
  8. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn became available on DVD yesterday.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Bah, marking time for Dragonborn on PC. And Bioshock Infinite.

RC-1991 likes this.
  10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    The long version?

11. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    So, what do you all think of the trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness? Just released and it is packed with alot of stuff to see.

IMO, it looks like a great sci-fi action movie... but that isn't what Star Trek is suposed to be. The spirit of the JJ Abrams timeline just doesn't mesh for me. I will still see the movie, but I do lament and miss the old hey days of Star Trek. :(

--Adm. Nick

12. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Yes, the 90 minute version.

13. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    I love Christopher Nolan movies as much as the next guy, but this and the poster are a travesty. Starring Benedict Cumberbatch as Raoul Silva starring as Bane. And not ONE shot of space in the whole thing. [face_not_talking]

14. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Cool. May have to go by Best Buy then.

15. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I know we all had a good laugh about Angry Birds Star Wars and the EU, but as it happens...

...is that the first evidence that Hoth has bodies of ice water?

16. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sometimes I still hear that terrible 8-bit music in my brain... and I still see that giant horrific wampa boss eating me. :(

18. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wouldn't that be 16 bit? ;)

I recall some artwork of Walkers on Hoth passing by frozen geyser plumes.

Might get space shots in the full teaser trailer next week.

Also, it appears Booster goes all-out for Life Day...

[​IMG]

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [face_laugh] That is brilliant!

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm, I had thought the audio on the SNES was 8 rather than the 16 of the video, but it looks like you're right.

21. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Now we have visual proof of the ill fated attempt by Blizzard 4 and Nevar's group to go a different direction than Veers...

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Urgh. I want to play SW Angry Birds to clear my system. Worst final ever (40% of a final on material not covered in class? wtf!! It's a good thing I read the whole textbook this week just in case, but...) + less than 24 hrs to write a 26 page paper = not a happy Jello.

That's right. I'm unhappy enough to fling Rebel birds at Imperials.

.....actually flinging Rebels into walls sounds really fun. Dammit, now I really do need to finish this paper.

CooperTFN likes this.
  23. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    FWIW, I think people forget that Star Trek TOS as well as Star Trek II and III were rather dark. As silly as some of the episodes of the original series looked, they actually dealt with some serious and sometimes dark issues.

I think it works better as this being a new timeline rather than trying to make the existing characters fit into darker storylines such as they did in the last few Next Generation movies.

And I remember people being upset that Jean-Luc Picard wasn't punching out foam headed aliens and shagging green skinned women and preferred TALKING differences out, but to many, THAT became Star Trek.

In some ways...maybe this hews closer to what Star Trek originally was? It might not be the Star Trek we watched as kids, but it'll be someone's Star Trek; not unlike the difference between the OT, the PT, and now the ST...there will be plenty who say this or that one isn't "true" SW.

24. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    The new Star Trek trailer is really growing on me. Yes, it's obvious that the marketeers are trying to play it off as Nolan-esque, but if you look at the actual elements in the trailer, you've got some stuff that could be potentially quite awesome.

As for the tone, DS9 is my favorite Trek series, and it gets pretty darn dark at times, so that doesn't worry me too much. What Star Trek has always been about is mature friendship, a "family" of a crew whose relationships and character are tested and proven by what they encounter out in the Great Unknown. In other words, in the best Star Trek, the characters are primary, and whatever sci-fi elements there are exist primarily for the sake of these characters. I think this film has the potential to do that quite well.

Cumberbatch's villain also intrigues me. His comments on family are interesting, and I like the idea of posing him as a kind of dark mirror-image of Kirk. There are overtones of "Heart of Darkness" in the trailer, with Cumberbatch having gone "up the river" and inviting Kirk to follow; and that's an idea that could be very effective in the Star Trek format. With the "family" comments in the Japanese trailer, there's also the potential idea that Cumberbatch's character may have lost his own "family," and is now going to deliberately push Kirk to see how much he's willing to give for his crew, and whether he's willing to sacrifice himself for them; which is also potentially an awesome idea, which goes to the heart of Star Trek's perennial focus on the burdens and responsibilities of command.

As to who he is, at this point, my theory is that he's a genetic Augment created by Starfleet secretly to fight the Klingons, who has gone rogue and wants revenge on those who created him. That's potentially a pretty dark idea, but not too different from the Section 31 plotline on DS9, and could have a lot of power if executed properly.

Essentially, good Trek is defined not by tone, but by content; and that means relationship, which necessarily includes both humor and peril. If this film can pull that off, it will be good Star Trek. Nolan-esque sound-effects in trailers or a dark tone have little significance for me.

25. CaptainPeabody

CaptainPeabody Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 2008
    Oh, and as for space battles (which I admit the trailer has a significant dearth of: SHAME ON YOU JJ ABRAMS!), there is the shot of the Enterprise rising out of the water and another ship crashing into it. An underwater battle between starships would be incredibly cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.