main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I spent $10 to see Lincoln. No popcorn or soda; just makes me pee in the middle of the film.

I think I spent close to $20 to see Harry Potter 7 part 2 in IMAX 3D.

2. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I would rather spend money to see The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey next Friday, but here's this weekend off the top of my head:

Rise of the Guardians
    Skyfall
    Lincoln
    Anna Karenina
    Life of Pi
    Silver Linings Playbook
    Killing Them Softly
    Wreck-It-Ralph
    The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Here in Portland it's generally $7.50 or $10.50 for showings, back home in Modesto it ranged from $5-$10.50

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hate to be that guy, but not loving the trailer. Doesn't feel like Star Trek to me. But I'm a ST:TOS guy all the way. :p

Benedict Cumberbatch is great though. He could be Gary Mitchell (ST:TOS he had psy powers, which got super-amplified and made him crazy) or Garth (yeah!) of Izar (former Starfleet captain).

I'm wondering, based on this trailer, if the Khan thing wasn't a bit of a red herring and maybe he's like Son of Khan or something? I.e. geneticaly altered super guy but not Khan himself?

And the stuff with Spock on the volcano planet could be a reinterpretation of the Genesis device....I dunno.

CT-867-5309 and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    My grandmother was a Leonard Nimoy fangirl. I had to sit through the original series at least a dozen times. This theme still haunts me in my sleep....[face_worried]

(but yeah, ST is awesome! Just not ST fans. They're dangerous.)

EDIT:

Oh god -- terrible thought! What if Cumberbatch is playing dual-universe Kahn?!?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  5. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I ususally don't do popcorn or a drink. Its just way to expensive and knowing myself I'd choke to death during the movie on popcorn,

I'll keep those movies in mind, tough pick. I'm planning to actually dust off my pretty much wasted annual pass for Universal this Saturday and I'm thinking I'll see a movie at City Walk's big state of the art theater while I'm at it. My annual pass does give me a discount on tickets and food/ drink there. Would be a good one go see The Hobbit so maybe I should wait a week.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I usually pay around 10 bucks to see a film where I live.

My sister recently saw Wreck-it-Ralph and said it was good, and she's usually a reasonable critic (as in, not afraid to say when something sucks, which isn't rare for her).

8. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
    In terms of the Harry Potter films, I've spent so much money on them I'd rather not think about it...

Seerow likes this.
  9. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've seen two movies all year... so...

I'll take lots of pics for you Akash. Maybe I can't peak at the Harry Potter expansion that's going on.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    J.J. Abrams I believe has admitted that he wasn't much of a Star Trek fan but was an avid Star Wars fan, and the 2009 film has a making of documentary where they even mention how they went to great lengths to Star Wars-ify Star Trek. With Abrams again at the helm, I expect another action film more in the vein of Star Wars, but with more attention to emotion and a bunch of nods to the series (the writers are still huge ST geeks). I like both the TV series and the films including the 2009 film, as well as Star Wars films obviously. The 2009 film felt different, but a Star Trek film that adopted many of the lessons of Star Wars was still win for me.

Paramount handles the films while CBS deals with the TV shows. So, some people have voiced the idea that there might be a new TV series that is part of the rebooted universe, but I feel that is unlikely since what J.J. Abrams does with the films is off limits to CBS. At best I'd hope that the success of the films would inspire CBS to make another series, that I would hope to take place in the prime universe, post DS9. There have been the occasional rumblings about pitches for a new series following the 2009 film, and AFAIK they have all been completely unrelated to the films, would recapture the "feeling of TOS," and take place in the prime universe of the previous series.

If Into Darkness is a hit, hopefully CBS will pick up steam and one of those ideas will get off the ground.

In other news: I finally got around to seeing The Dark Knight Rises. I heard a lot of positive things about the film at first, then a lot of people complaining about it. I was pleased that I liked it and it was a very sound and strong conclusion to the trilogy, IMO.

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  11. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, I've seen 25 movies this year. And I bought popcorn for almost all of them. My wallet... my poor wallet. :p

Seerow likes this.
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I've done plenty of damage to my wallet in other ways. Why are all my hobbies so expensive?

13. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    It's better than my hobby, which apparently involves thinking about TCW every day.

(y'all think about that the next time you look in a mirror, got it? because I'm not the only guilty one here.:p )

AkashKedavra_93 and Valairy Scot like this.
  14. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    I don't know why I still buy telescope stuff when I next to never stargaze anymore.

And I think about TCW alot as well...

15. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    For some reason Benedict Cumberpatch reminds me of the guy who played Michael Eddington on Deep Space Nine. I think it's the stretched skin and the piercing eyes that does it.
    [​IMG]

16. AkashKedavra_93

Jan 8, 2011
  17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    NP Akash. -hug.-

18. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I watched TDKRises in the cinema with no popcorn or soda and I still felt like pissing in the middle of the movie. :p

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    TCW? Get off my Disco!
    [​IMG]

dang women : P

CT-867-5309 and Seerow like this.
  20. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Stupid mixing up the Challenger Shuttle Disaster and the Columbia Shuttle Disaster on the exam......

21. QuangoFett

QuangoFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 11, 2011
    Rise of Cumberbatch...

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ouch. Hope that didn't mess you up too badly.

I remember where I was when I heard about each of them.

23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    I only got the names mixed up. One exploded on reentry and the other exploded during takeoff. I just got the names reversed.

24. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
  25. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Earth: Hazards and Global Change. I needed an environmental science credit, so I took the one with hurricanes, earthquakes and volcanoes.

eht13 and Garth Maul like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.