main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm getting it child

http://www.jazmaonline.com/interviews/interviews2007.asp?intID=432

Lucas shot down the original idea for DE and approved it's current premise, it's contradictory weather Lucas came up with the cloning or just approved it

2. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    That's why it is not clear. People should stop saying that George Lucas came up with the idea, when it's not even clear.

3. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He still approved the idea of cloning the Emporor and denied the origonal idea of having some smuck dressing up as Vader as the antagonist. Indicating he was aware of what was in it. Ergo it's irrelevant

4. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I assume that this is the only place I can say this, so here it goes:

I do not think that any EU will be used in the ST. Perhaps little cameos kinda like Dash Rendar's ship being seeing the Ep. IV Special Edition, but no major role.

Personally, I have always looked at the EU stuff as nothing more than "What ifs". That not to say that its not good stuff. Some of it is. That being said, I like to believe that the ST is going to be a very thoughtfull continuation of the Skywalker story with the political subplot that we all know and love. That in and of itself doesn't exclude the EU stuff, but I think at the day of the day the EU "What if" status will still be intact.

Just my opinion....

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just saying if it was a what if why bother keeping consistancy between it and the movies? Or why bother with separate levels of continuity. Speaking of which if they were what if's they would be infinities. Not EU

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    What if the ST actually takes place far enough in the future to be independent of the EU while allowing it to remain intact? I've been laying out my theory in my own thread, "Do not assume anything...", but unsurprisingly I'm being met with a lot of resistance. It's as solid a theory as any though, and it would totally solve this whole EU dilemma.

8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't mind this in the slightest

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I would mention Heir to the Empire, Shatterpoint

Garth Maul likes this.
  10. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Shadows of Mindor....

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  11. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    One thing to keep in mind especially if you're en EU fan -- Bob Iger, when making the Disney announcement, specifically stated that the SW universe consisted of 17,000 characters. Most of those exist in the EU, so Disney is NOT just going to completely trash it.

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Which is precisely why I'm speculating that they might set the ST in a time period where they can steer clear of the EU entirely.

BonhillBhoy likes this.
  13. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Hard to say.

We know Pablo did a bunch of research for the treatment, and Lucas has confirmed they are going to be original stories.

So why the research?

- Lucas wants to know if anything similar to his ST idea has already been done;
    - Lucas is interested in some EU characters/ideas and wants to know more about them
    - Lucas wants to find a time in the chronology where there's space to maneuver .

kainee, Mystery_Roach and Echo-07 like this.
  14. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    YES! I think that's exactly it.

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I find it hard to believe people want the next Star Wars movies to obey completely to everything post-ROTJ EU, there's some good materials, mostly in the novels, but I find it harder to believe some people expect it too.

The ST will draw on the EU, just like the PT did with the existing materials. But they will not adapt or continue those storylines, regardless of your views on 'canon'. The only storyline being continued here is what happens after Episode VI, simple as. Ideas will be adapted as I said, such as the many planets introduced, and some characters from the EU will more than likely be introduced into the ST, mostly minor characters my guess, and maybe the Solo twins. Besides to a lot of people, hardcore fans not included, and people who've are only casual Star Wars fans (never read an ounce of EU, which is most of the people who sit down at watch the movies), the only canon is Star Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI, and to add that in the future - Episode VII, VIII, and IX.

Chewbacca's alive, unless stated otherwise, Luke never got married, Thrawn never existed, the Vong never invaded, and Jacen Solo never became Darth Caedus.

The story so far has stopped at the party at Endor, in three years we'll find out what happens next.

Don't take me wrong, I love the EU novels, well not all of them, but I respect them for what they are. However, in 2015 I'm not going in expecting to see a storyline post-Crucible, but like said, an original story.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Then why bother researching anything?

17. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    To mine for nifty concepts?

kainee and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Let me re-phrasse slightly......

The movies (Ep Numbered ones at least..) will always stand alone in the sense that they are telling one main story, and at no point in that story would you be lost if you didnt read the books and such.

As far as calling them "What ifs" goes, I meant that more like "What if we wrote a story about Hammerhead". This way, that story CAN be official cannon, but not conflict with OR influence how you see him in the films.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    And why is that "wrong"? It's a distinct possibility.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Because you could just google for it

22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    You cannot be serious. Do you really think Lucas, Kennedy and Arndt are going to trawl through Wookieepedia during their story meetings when instead they can get someone like Pablo to give them reports on the EU tailored to their needs?

kainee likes this.
  23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    My vote obviously goes to number 3 :)

24. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    I think we have to realize that the six Star Wars films all are telling the most important part of the particular story George has wanted to tell. Episode I portrays the beginning of Anakin Skywalker's journey and the rise of Palpatine as Supreme Chancellor. Episode II portrays the beginning of the Clone Wars, furthering down the evil path of Palpatine, Anakin's continuous descent towards the dark side and his love for Padme. Episode III portrays the end of the Clone Wars, the Rise of the Empire and the Rise of Darth Vader. Episode IV portrays the beginning of Luke Skywalker's journey, A major battle won by the Rebels, and the beginning of Darth Vader's Redemption, when he realizes that a pilot strong with the Force destroyed the Death Star, and becomes obsessed to find out how he is. By Episode V, we get to see Luke Skywalker's continuous training to become a Jedi, Darth Vader's search for the Rebel pilot, and his eventual confrontation to reveal their parentage. Episode VI shows the victory of the Rebel Alliance over the Empire in Endor, Darth Vader's redemption, the fulfillment of the prophecy of the Chosen One and the destruction of the Sith.

If the next three movies-are going to tell the important part of the story-Do you honestly think that the writers are going to jump over a 40 year time period- leaving it ''intact'' and somehow create a story that is more important than anything that has happened in the EU, and tie it with the other six films? Having an event like the Vong War, which according to Wookiepedia, it was the costliest war in the galaxy's history, greatly undermines the point of the first six films, and will undermine the story of the other three. I am sorry, but their is now way it will survive.

kainee likes this.
  25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    That's like saying World War II undermines World War I. It's utterly irrelevant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.