main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do not assume anything...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Obviously I was just using a quote from Yoda to illustrate a point. You must admit that most everyone seems very sure of things that they have no good reason to assume. But please, feel free to make assumptions for the sake of discussion if you like. Especially ones about me being right. :p

Count Yubnub and Saurion-Fett like this.
  2. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    I like the debate

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Consider Dune, which was one of the major original inspirations for Star Wars. Frank Herbert took some huge leaps in time between those books, while still making it a part of the same continuing narrative. It can be done effectively.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "Dune"—and also Asimov's "Foundation" series—is a good argument, but IIRC in "Dune" there was still the Duncan Idaho ghola to connect it all.

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Star Wars has Artoo and Threepio. Throw in some Luke and Leia cameos along with their posterity, and you have plenty of connections.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Sounds like the ST may be similar to the PT in that it will not be what anyone expected, the only difference (I hope) is that there won't be so many people who end up disliking the ST. As an EU fan, I'll look at the bright side (even if I don't like the idea at first glance), assuming the ST is set centuries into the future beyond RotJ, it probably won't mess with the EU at all. It's sort of a win-win for those who love the EU and those who hate it.

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's exactly what led me to this line of thinking in the first place.

8. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    It's true that everything we're doing right now is just making assumptions. We've all thrown out personal theories and it's fun. I mean, some theories may make a bit more sense than others, but we're so far out from the truth so who knows. I think, If they're calling it EP 7, then I see it as a direction continuation of the saga we know. The ST may take place 35, 40, 100 or even 500 years down the line, but still continue the story and what these characters have done in some way. It would be a hand off to a new generation and Luke, Leia, Han, and the Droids would play a limited passing of the torch role.

I think the one thing that I don't understand is the viewpoint that Ep 7 is going to be a brand new saga, taking place after the events of RotJ, but a brand new saga/story/characters the whole shabang - with nothing to do with Ep. 1-6. That Disney will just name all new movies Ep. 7, and on.

But we'll see.

9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    This is exactly me as well.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Two out of three ain't bad...

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I totally agree with everything you said, except that I think the droids will continue to play the same role that they always have, and I'm not sure how they could work Han in to this idea.. I'm sure they could find a way if they really wanted to though.

12. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Your OP jives with what rumors I've heard before on another SW forum or in a GL interview, I don't remember which. But your starting this thread jogged my memory a little and it clashed with what I had begun to think the ST could be. I'll be happy with whatever shape the ST takes as long as it has all the elements which makes great SW films. But the EU fan in me will always want to see some of those EU characters on the big screen being led by Jedi Master Luke Skywalker.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah, yeah.. our thinking about this case had become very uptight! ;)

14. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Yeah, it's obvious we don't have any idea what will be happening with the ST, despite all of the rumors. Mark Hammill, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, and Harrison Ford may or may not be in the films.

The films may be set 30 years after ROTJ, or 100 years, or 1000 years.

I will say that there's no reason that the films can't be set long, long after ROTJ as long as there's some kind of connection to Episodes IV - VI - IMHO the most obvious way to do this is to have Han's/Leia's & Luke's descendents as Jedi, fighting some new threat.

The only thing I'm fairly certain of is that C3PO & R2-D2 will probably be in the films - this is based on interviews that Lucas gave years ago, in which he said the robots would be the only characters in all the movies...Of course, I guess this could change...

15. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Because they weren't even born yet ...

And seeing Han as a 5- 8 year old isn't that exciting?

But I agree they rapped up their roles but that doesn't mean there isn't more that could be developed from their roles. Luke is one of the last Jedi alive so there is something they can do with that. And the other two are just a bonus if necessary for the story and plot of this new film triology

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, but I just want to see the ol' scoundrel one more time. :)

17. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Would Disney really jump into complete unfamiliarity? And if Lucas wanted to do VII with Mark Hamill for like 20 years and had planned to do it 20 years later? Isn't that pretty reasonable evidence to take into account that he might just follow through with this 20 year old plan? I don't see why not. The only reason I paid it any mind is because there are so many clips out there affirming that Lucas and Mark have thought about this for decades. And if they really are going off Lucas's penned out lines you can beat your ass Luke is in them.

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not saying they couldn't go that route. It's a very distinct possibility, and I've been going on that assumption for weeks as well. All I'm saying is that they don't actually need to go that route and we really don't have any solid information to make us think for sure that they will.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    But none of us know what that plan was. All we know is that Luke was a part of it, but there's no reason it couldn't be as a Force ghost. Hamill even made a statement one time that could easily be interpreted that way. I can't remember it exactly right now, but I'll try to find it if I can.

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I can't blame you (even if I don't care much for the character personally, and there's no denying he's less important to the overall continuity of the Saga than the Skywalkers), but there's always a chance that they can find a way to work him in somehow or another... in some unexpected capacity perhaps.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    1983 Maria Shriver interviews Mark Hamill Star Wars Return of the Jedi

Hamill: It's the last one for everyone except for the two robots. They're the only ones who go through the whole three trilogies, the nine stories.
    Shriver: I've heard that you've been hired to come back as Luke Skywalker in the last Star Wars film (films? couldn't make it out for sure), eighteen years from now. Is that true?
    Hamill: In something like two thousand and four or something...
    Shriver: You're gonna be back...
    Hamill: But you see he's being very cagey because it's either going to be on another plane of existence, or not the same character. And I can't really tell you why without sort of getting into sensitive material.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And just for the heck of it...

"There are two worlds here, There’s my world, which is the movies, and there’s this other world that has been created, which I say is the parallel universe—the licensing world of the books, games and comic books. They don’t intrude on my world, which is a select period of time, [but] they do intrude in between the movies. I don’t get too involved in the parallel universe."

George Lucas - Starlog, July 2001

Is it not reasonable to think that he and everyone involved might still want to follow this precedent? I know the ST could still technically fall just outside the time frame of the established EU, but certainly not without the EU intruding on his world. And aren't there more things in the works that would intrude on that time frame?

23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And for the record, I'm not saying I think they will go thousands of years into the future or anything, but just far enough to peacefully coexist with the EU without being shackled by it. The one thing that's throwing me off is this new Legacy comic. Since it's set 100 years after the OT, that probably won't be the time frame of the ST either unless the comic is being made specifically to tie in to it, although I doubt it will directly. They could be using it to set up certain things for the ST though. I'm not suggesting that Dark Horse has been in the know about the ST this whole time, but they could have been given goals to accomplish with the book from LFL without necessarily knowing why.

24. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not assuming anything. Everything I heard and read since D-Day has lead me to believe that the Big 3 will be back to pass the torch. I base this on the rumors that Arndt wrote treatments for the ST which included the BIG 3, then it was confirmed that he was in fact the screenwriter. Also, George's meeting with Mark and Carrie -- Carrie subsequently saying she would be reprising her role, that she thought it was common knowledge (then having to do some damage control.) Harrison coming out saying he'd be up for it. Again, not an assumption but based on what has been out there for info.

I'm definitely no expert on the EU, but if the BIG 3 played to their age roughly wouldn't that be sufficient room to preserve the EU of they chose to???

Also, one thing to keep in mind especially if you're en EU fan -- Bob Iger, when making the Disney announcement specifically stated that the SW universe consisted of 17,000 characters. Most of those exist in the EU, so Disney is NOT just going to trash it.

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well I did cover all of those things in my speculation except for the rumor that Arndt's treatments included the Big Three. Could you point me to that one?