main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Obsession with the end of the world: after 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    When the Sun rises and the Mayan calander ends...and the world keeps going...whats next?

This seems to be an American hang up, or a western hang up if any of the European members can confirm crazy behavior across the Atlantic.

The USA has had alot of public nuts claiming they have figured out the END OF DAYS and it is soon coming! But it has always not come, is there just something wrong life that some people want it to end that badly?

what will be the next "obscure Proficy" filled with ancient ka-knowledge for warning future generations...blah blah blah.

2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Etruscans.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm a practicing Montanist. The end arrives at the turn of the third century. I, for one, cannot wait...

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    More time for Dwight Howard to miss free throws.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    my money's on apophis

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The world is actually supposed to end December 12, 2021!

7. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    to clarify i didnt mean the apophis asteroid, i actually meant a literal snake would come and eat the sun

MercenaryAce and DarthBoba like this.
  8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    What kind of snake?

9. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    alabama black snake

10. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
  11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  12. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    "Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father." - Mark 13:31-32

So basically, here's Jesus saying directly that even He doesn't know when the world will end. Remember that the next time some radio preacher-man tells you that he knows for sure when the Rapture will be: What that fella's saying is that he literally knows more about what God's got in mind for the world than Jesus does. Quite a boast. Normally I'm not one to cast aspersions on a man of the cloth, but I have to admit that I'm not sure I'd sell the house based on that.

As for the Mayans: If they were so good at seeing the future, why did their civilization collapse? You're telling me that they knew, to the day, hundreds of years in advance, when the world would end, but they couldn't see droughts or Spanish armies coming in their very own time?

A better question: What's with all these people so all-fired anxious to see the world end? To quote the great philosopher Bugs Bunny when he was talking to Marvin the Martian: "Blow up the Earth? But that's where I keep all my stuff!". Does living in this world really suck so much that people are that anxious for it to go out of business? I'm as enthusiastic as you can get about meeting Jesus, but even I ain't in that big a hurry. Chill out. Stop and smell the roses. There'll be plenty worth doing in 2013.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It'll end when the Reapers invade.

14. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Also of note, the Mayan calendar "ending" on the 21st isn't at all referring to the end of the world. Their calendar cycle would have begun anew the next day, just as our calendar does every December 31st. The notion that it meant the end of the world first came about in a book written by some New Age quack back in the 1960s.

V-2 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  15. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Even the Mayans (yes they are still around) have basicly said this. But its is simply the latest doomsday that has been latched on to, and it has left me wordering WHY!?

what is the source of this madness.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I know Fox News started latching onto this hoax. Don't know if they themselves actually believe it.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Or as Louis C.K. put it, when your Mayan calendar runs out you just go to the Mayan calendar store and get a new calendar.

18. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Never said the Mayans were gone, the Pre-Columbian Maya perhaps, but the people are still alive and kicking. That said, the doomsday belief is New Age mumbojumbo which is mostly based off of misunderstandings about the Mayan calendar round, Mayan cosmology, and the Popol Vuh. It isn't the latest doomsday belief which has taken root as it has been discussed for years. Around 1991 or 92, I was an impressionable 14 year old and couldn't sleep after hearing about it on some tv show so I actually read up on it. I am by no means an expert on Mesoamerican peoples, but once you read about these things in bone dry academic texts on the subject, you soon realize that the people who are making the most noise about it tend to be the ones who understand it the least.

Same principle applies to anyone else who goes screaming about the world ending on a certain date, wouldn't be surprised if most are either severely delusional or just kooks looking for attention from anybody who will give it to them.

19. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think some people latch onto it out of depression. There's a lot of people right now who feel like things aren't going to get better, especially with how hard times have been economically the last few years. The date is a justification one way or another. For some it's a relief, as in their minds, almost as if a light at the end of the tunnel and all their miseries will be over soon. For others it feeds into a paranoia, and galivanizes them into survival mode, as seen on such shows like Doomsday Preppers.

Which does beg the question: what happens to both groups of people if and when Dec. 22 rolls around and we are, presumably still here?

20. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    If i was still practising Mayan beliefs and lifestyle (if you even can), i'd be hoping the world was gonna end so you can shout over the radio.

"Told you, *******" [face_nail_biting]

*Gotta star out the whole word*

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think another thing feeding so many people's belief/hysteria/what have you, is that we didn't have a lot of the social media in say, Y2K, like Twitter, Facebook, Google, Wiki, etc, that we had now. We had CNN and the broadcast stations getting whipped up into a frenzy over the Y2K bug, but that was about it (which I think had the opposite effect of making people scoff at it, as there was disdain of whenever the media made a huge deal out of something even back then). Google was in it's infancy, Yahoo and AOL were starting their declines, and I don't even think Wikipedia had gotten off the ground yet, so people where not as able to just casually look up info on end of the world doomsday predictions like they can now. With Twitter and Facebook and other social media, those theories can spread far and wide and get more people who may not have otherwise have heard/listened/read about 2012 or any other Doomsday prophecy back then panicked/depressed about it. It also makes me worried that we're going to see a lot more anti - social behavior and suicides in the days leading up to Dec. 21.

22. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Yeah, after a decade or so of SARS, Swine Flu, Y2K, and killer bees, I'm kind of apocalypsed out for now.

23. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I'm sure people will find something, anything to get all worked up about. Never underestimate the depths of human stupidity.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    History has shown that end-of-the-world predictions are always more numerous around the turn of a century. So, if everything goes as it should, we'll have less and less end-of-the-world predictions in our lifetimes.

25. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    An oldie but goodie: