main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT How a child of the original Star Wars trilogy learned to love the prequels

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 6, 2012.

1. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    I grew up on the OOT. I enjoyed the SEs in the theatre but chose to stick to watching the OOT in my home. Loved the PT at first but have cooled on 1-3 over time. I still love 'em, just not as much as the OT.
    The PT is the used car that was great for me when it was shiney and new but now I'd trade it for that classic car I had when I was younger.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    "Unredeemed Vader" isn't exactly what Kurtz was going on about, it was an alternate vision of what Vader was to begin with, although part of it included a certain redemption or repentance on Vader's part anyway.

The 'Kurtz vision' is a big can of worms, largely due to his own muddled recollections & a certain amount of self-serving reconstruction/speculation regarding just what happened between 1977 & 1981. There's a thread here which addresses the facts about just what happened, "according to Gary Kurtz":

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/according-to-gary-kurtz.50003998/

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    thank you for the link!

4. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Nope. I love it. It's a fulfilled promise from Lucas that the plot would be more Machiavellian.

5. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Nope. Same here. It explains exactly how the Republic went to an Empire. And it was spread out over three movies. I don't find the political stuff boring at all.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There's not enough of it to be boring. For that you need the books.

obi-rob-kenobi4 likes this.
  7. Ferus Olin

Ferus Olin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 2, 2012
    For some reason everyone of my friends has always rated Revenge of the Sith the best Star Wars film. Most prefer the prequel trilogy and for many years I didn't understand why. Now that I think about it many fans put the OT on something higher than a film it's like sacred and if you criticize it you're an idiot. I guess it depends on what you grew up with. I grew up with the PT so I love it while on the internet it seems most people love the OT and hate the PT. I don't mind people criticizing the PT but when they don't give valid reasons why it just doesn't add up. OT fans criticize Anakin's whiny nature in AOTC but seem to think Luke's whiny nature in ANH is completely different. I hope I don't get grilled for this....

8. darthjj88

darthjj88 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 31, 2012
    LOL you probably will, but your right. I heard Kevin Smith say something along the line of "who else would become the greatest villian in the universe but a spoiled, whiney teenager." I grew up with the OT, but I love the PT as well. Hey, it's STAR WARS!! Right?

9. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Kevin Smith is the man!
    I don't entirely agree about "spoiled" though. He was a slave as a boy and then became a kind of a slave to the Jedi Order who never really trusted him. Can you blame him for wanting to become "the greatest Jedi ever" if he's been told he's the Chosen One from the day he joined the Jedi Order? He probably thinks it's his destiny and anything less will be a failure.

10. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I also was born in 1977 and loved the OT more than anything and was hyped when I saw the first trailer of TPM. I am not hating the PT but I have a lot of "issues" with it.

First: The bad humor, this began in the Mos Eisley CGI scenes in the ANH SE and reached it's peak in Jar Jar, the Podrace announcer and the horrible C-3PO/Battledroid merging in AOTC.

Second: Bad dialogue, I admit that there is a lot of corny dialogue in the OT as well, but it's nowhere as bad as in the PT, examples "I am a person and my name is Anakin", "Are you an angel", "I hate sand..."," I have the High Ground"...

Third: Though I like ROTS best of the three, I think the most important moment of the whole trilogy, the turning of Anakin happens too fast and is unbelieveable.

I really like the politics, I love the Darth Plagueis novel which explains everything happening behind the scenes and makes you adore the master plan of the Sith
    I love the Clone Wars. If the dialogue and acting and humor of the PT would have been like in TCW, I would have no issue with them.

11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    These are actually ok lines, given the context. There're worse examples (mostly in AOTC).

I usually watch I-II-III close to each other, then you can see he's really starting to change after the death of his mother. He's struggling with his darker nature all throughout the war and eventually it wins.
    Also, it's meant to show that the dark side is extremely strong. "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny".

12. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I grew up with the OT. I have never put it on a pedestal. I loved it. But I believe it is no more perfect than the PT.