main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Obsession with the end of the world: after 2012

Discussion in 'Community' started by Likewater, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Personally, I only really care about it because I have a family member whose birthday is the next day. It makes a convenient excuse not to buy a present. :)

2. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    I think they're hoping for it after the beating their beloved Republicans took in the election this year.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. darth-calvin

darth-calvin Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 10, 2002
    As SuperWatto said, this EOTW hype is a common occurence at significant time intervals. Considering we recently crossed a millenium, it isn't surprising at all that it is lingering as long as it has. Also, there is money to be made from it and it will be squeezed out until every last drop is gone. The Hysteria Channel seemed to be exclusively showing such progamming for years. I was thrilled to see them finally backing off of such drivel (along with the white trash glory programming) and actually showing some history this fall. An interesting note here is that several "experts" interviewed for their apocalypse shows were very upset about History channel's creative editing to make them look like chicken littles.

Personally, I think the doomsday stuff has lost most of its steam already. People were actually worried about Y2K, but I don't know a single person who is actually concerned about 2012. Its feels more like a lighthearted meme than anything else now and a reason to have theme parties on 12-20.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    classic kimball

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Awww...I thought you meant that we'd be invaded by Goa'uld. :p

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    naw dawg they've already been defeated and those that remain are in exile or backwater despots at best. catch up on ur SG-1, broheem

7. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Because they lacked critical thinking skills.

V-2 likes this.
  8. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I made my income off of this thing here, back in the day:

[​IMG]
    Y2K Survival Kit Provides All The Tools PC Users Need To Prepare For The New Millennium.

... it didn't feel good. I quit the company that year.

9. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    I think the reason some people want the world to end is because they want their problems to end in a way they don't have to take responsibility for.

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  11. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    And to heck with the rest of us. Seems rather selfish, to me.

My new landlady heard on the internet that there will be some type of dire disruption of electrical power on the 22, 23 and 24, so she's not going to Vegas this year, like she usually does at this time of year. She's Buddhist, so no Christmas tree at our house, either.

12. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002

I think most of not all of us have come to a point that if the world comes to any end on Dec 21st it will be a big meh moment. Besides when they say Dec 21st do they mean Dec 21st in Japan, Aisa, Australia, Europe, or the USA? I mean really they are just throwing out a date and saying that's it game over.

13. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    id imagine they were referring to december 21st on the yucatan peninsula. you know, where the maya lived

14. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    So we have to wait for Dec 21st to hit there for the world to end? I don't know if I should laugh or cry about how dumb it has gotten with the end of the world stuff. I will just stand by my "Meh if it ends it ends."

15. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Why is the concept of local time zones dumb?

16. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Why can't you have a Christmas tree because your landlady is Buddhist?

17. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    *live [face_talk_hand]

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i was referring to the ancient maya, dawg

19. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah, this. Pretty sure religious discrimination is illegal in England as well.

20. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Because it's her house and a tree won't fit in my room. I have other Christmas decorations, tho. A stuffed Bugs Bunny that sings Christmas carols and a couple SW themed ornaments and a trio of angels that sing "Silent Night." It's the only carol they sing. They light up, too.

21. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    Just found out where my landlady got the idea that there will be a world-wide blackout on 12/23 thru 12/25--a spam email claiming that NASA was predicting this because the sun and the earth will align in a certain way or that the earth will enter a non-existent 'still ring' called 'the Photonic belt.'

Like P.T. Barnum said, "There's a sucker born every day."

22. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    it was very, very misty this morning. i think it was caused by unicron's breath. he is close.

23. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Has anyone read the unspeakably awful "novel" The Harbinger, which claims that Scripture warns us that the United States is currently in an epoch parallel to that of the immediate pre-Babylonian Judean period?

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    My daughter (12) just came up with the idea to go rent ´2012´ this Friday and have a good laugh.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Hey to any of you guys who work in the goecery stores: Have you seen people buying more food/guns/supplies than usual, with saying their getting ready for Doomsday in mind?