main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What needs to happen to make you say, "The ST was as good as the OT"?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by boomx2sjk, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    You see I always viewed the OT as a three act play. This may be that I was born by the time they were all out, but the three create one cohesive story. In any play you can usually catch a solid feeling in the first act, and the third, but just watching the middle creates confusion because it rarely has the meat of the plot. It;s part in the plot is only truly realized when placed in its proper place amongst the rest of the play. The second act is normally everything going wrong for the characters you are taught to love and care about. For a three act play perspective Empire Strikes Back does a phenomenal job as a second act. As a stand alone story it flounders, but to do what it does I have rarely seen anything as good as it.

2. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Han didn't slaughter tusken raiders, jedi, and children with that same creepy stare. I get your point though. He was pretty sleezy in those moments.

3. Darth Shibs

Darth Shibs Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    Agreed. With this three act play concept, TESB did have focus. Without that concept however it doesn't have much focus. Both of your views are valid from...........
    wait for it.......
    ........ a certain point of view. *gag* ahhah couldn't resist.

4. Darth Shibs

Nov 1, 2012
    Exactly, why is our society saturated with pis&i#g matches?

5. Cantina Bassist

Cantina Bassist Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Beacuse we're flawed, both as a species and as individuals?

6. Darth Shibs

Nov 1, 2012
    Ya, I wonder if the ST viewed by me as a 6 year old would be the same as when I saw the OT when I was 6. Our adult perspective on things can makes things different.

7. Darth Shibs

Nov 1, 2012
    Is this thread was in 1945, I'm sure it'd be night and day.

We are flawed though, bring on 12/12, or 12/21, whenever they say it all ends haha

8. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    My wife just exposed me to Duck Dynasty.......I'd say it's accurate to suggest the end is nigh.

9. Darth Shibs

Nov 1, 2012
    I always said that mankind won't ever "get it" until they find a cure for the common cold and stop slowing and gawking/rubbernecking at someone changing their tire on the side of the freeway

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Have you ever been in an actual pissing match?

It's awesome, full of drama, excitement, glory for the winner and shame for the loser.

I'm not surprised to see pissing matches leak into other activities.

11. Darth Shibs

Nov 1, 2012
    Like in corporate america, stop lights, sporting events, oh wait...

Yup, push the button please.

Well push it after the movies come out :D

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Anakin didn't slaughter with a stare, he used a weapon. And I'd say the act of slaughter goes a tad bit beyond "creepy" behavior. But my point certainly wasn't to suggest that viewers have no reason to question Anakin's overall behavior and Padme's reaction to it, but rather to illustrate common reaction to two specific scenes: one, where Anakin (the eventual antagonist) is called out for a creepy stare, and another, where Han (always a protagonist), is celebrated for some behavior that could easily be viewed as a creepy disrespecting of someone else's personal space.

13. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Again, the reasons for this is simple: "commonly", Han is well liked and Anakin isn't. When Han does something like that, it's nowhere near as likely to make your skin crawl than when Anakin does. .

14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    And again I could point out that it's still interesting to me that one stylized space adventure relationship is expected to toe the line in regards to contemporary norms, and another is not despite that it basically boils down to "she wants it even though she won't admit it, so it's okay be touchy feely."

It's almost as if the OT is a sacred cow or something. I mean, Blade Runner is too and yet I've seen fans of that film question Deckard's forcefulness with Rachael even in the context of the noir atmosphere.

15. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

16. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    That depends on what you compare it to. By anyone's standards though, it was certainly effective at creating a connection between its characters & the audience.

Pro Scoundrel and FinleySlade like this.
  17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I thought most of the dialogue in the OT was brilliant.

Each movie of the OT is one of the most quotable movies of all time. If the dialogue was that bad, we all wouldn't be quoting it so damn often.

I don't think the acting was that bad, either. Mark as Luke is the only significant problem I have with the acting, and he gets better as the trilogy goes on. I could see that he was a bit out of his league in ANH and I actually think "faster and more intense" helped him more than it hurt.

Both the acting and the dialogue of the OT were far superior to the PT, imo.

FinleySlade likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    People who claim that the OT is the Trilogy That Must Judge All Other Trilogies have obviously not seen ROTJ in a long while. While I like it in some ways, it's easily my least favorite of the three and somewhat worse than ROTS. Let's just say that no trilogy is perfect.
    Except for Toy Story.

19. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Not true.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollars_Trilogy

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    While I agree with what you just posted, that's a trilogy in the loosest sense. Mainly because Lee Van Cleef is not the same character both for For a Few Dollars More and The Good the Bad and the Ugly. He's an anti-hero in one, and a complete villain in the other. Still a great "trilogy" regardless.

21. Cantina Bassist

Nov 5, 2012
    Don't bother me with trifles.

22. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    I loved the PT but it does have a different feel to it than the OT. A lot of people have said this in the past but Knights of the Old Republic has an OT feel to it. If VII can convey that feeling that kotor and the OT had, then it will blow the PT away.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh I guess I would call the Man With No Name a trilogy too.

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I've heard good things about that trilogy as well. I'll have to see it at some point.