main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I actually got my start writing by doing forum role playing (on another site), but when I got into fanfic and original projects, my role playing muse died and never really came back. I guess I like playing God. I'd rather control EVERYTHING rather than one character.

lazykbys_left likes this.
  2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    HA HA HA HA! I am your God you puny fanfic character peons! You shall do my bidding! Bootknock! Bootknock, I say! I command it! No, wait! I mean't Luke and Mara...get out of here Leia! TOS is the greater GOD and we must submit to its will!

3. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yep. That is pretty much my brain.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Dance, my puppets, dance!

5. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    TrakNar there is actually a D&D game over in the RPF, three of em being run by Saintheart. Its all dice and turned based tabletop rules, etc. Only difference from tabletop, you can take your time deciding what to do in a fight. I presently have a Level 8 CLR/Level 1 Divine Oracle in the big D&D game and a Level 6 Warmage in the other one, who almost died *twice* in 100 posts. XD

The new board's dice feature makes playing Tabletop RPGs much easier and those in the D&D games were quite excited and dice happy when we found it.

But yeah, forum role playing can be time consuming if the game is fast paced. Most that I have been in though are pretty slow, not snail crawling slow, but slow enough to give someone a breather. Like... to write some fan fiction in between. Only reason Ive been able to write lately. I got into slow paced games.

6. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    Late to the conversation, but anyway. I got my first cell phone when I was 25. They wouldn't let me get one without having my mommy cosign with me. :rolleyes: Then they just *picked* one and I didn't get to choose. After a year, I got her name off the contract. I'm with Sprint now, have been for two years, and I love them. Except for being forced to have Nascar apps on my phone. Ugh. It won't uninstall.

7. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I went through the last five pages of this thread and got bitten by two plot bunnies. What I want are ideas for the umpteen WIPs I swore I'd finish this year.

I wonder if I can get a more cooperative muse for Christmas . . . :D

8. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I had a basic phone for ages and only got a camera phone because I lost the old one. Then I was all 'wow, this is awesome' and I got bit. It was only a basic camera phone but it was like a gateway drug, and now I have an HTC One S.

9. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    Well, I have had picture capability on my last couple phones, though my current one (that I've had for about 18 months) is the first with video too. I'm not opposed to that, I just can't stand the idea of being constantly in touch with email and facebook, etc. I spend too much time online as is, why do I need to take it with me everywhere I go?
    I was ruined by my parents getting smartphones and sitting through dinners checking FB and Twitter. My parents.

10. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    My dad does that. Constantly checking his email and txts at dinner whenever we go out. Mom hates it. I'm guilty of it when I'm on the phone myself but at least I'm writing my stories. Fortunately I can write and hold a conversation with them that mom doesnt get on my case about it like she does dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    So what happened? The boards were down for hours. I was going through withdraws. So I took a three hour nap. lol!

12. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    The JC took an arrow to the knee.

Yeah I was having withdrawals too. Ktala ended up enduring three hours of my craziness for it. Fortunately I also had horses to help with my therapy and a little mush vig I've been writing on the side.

13. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I avoided getting a cell phone for years because of company recalls in the Army. If you can't find me then you can't call me in to work. I especially avoided giving out contact information while I was on vacation because EVERYTHING was an emergency in my Commander's eyes. I'd give the hotel phone number and then pretend I was out of the room for the entire day. Cell phones are great in emergencies, but they are a pain when it comes to work. You have to fall back on the "I was in a dead zone" excuse, but eventually they figure out you didn't spend your entire vacation in a subway station.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Double post

15. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    My excuse "I had the sound off, sorry". Which is true. I never have it on, so I get texts and phone calls several hours after they were sent.

16. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My husband's commander would call him up during his off days. I would say, "He's sleeping, can I take a message?" The BN Commander would say, "No, wake him up." I hated that. Hubby is mean when awakened and completely disorientated. I told the officer. "Sorry I couldn't get him up." The jerk told me to go back and try again. I was just about to say, "Listen buddy, I got out of the Army last year, so screw you."

Then the Commander's wife called me a week later and TOLD me that I would schedule a "Crystal shopping" outing with the soldier's wives and it was my duty as an Officer's wife. Pffff...I was an officer until the year before and no civilian is going to tell me what to do. So I told her "No", but I told her the First Sergeant's wife had mentioned to me she loved doing that type of stuff. She just sputtered and was upset. 'YOU DON'T OUTRANK ME LADY!' I was thinking. I don't know why some wives think they wear their husband's brass. o_O

Damn, how did I get on this rant?

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If I don't recognize a number, I let it go straight to voicemail. Then, I give the message a cursory listen and delete it. If it's important, I'll return the call. If not, I'll forget about it. If my mom's calling, I put it on speaker and go about doing whatever I was doing while she yacks and yacks and yacks. Every now and then, I'll say "Yeah." I know, I'm an ass. :p

18. LexiLupin

LexiLupin Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 27, 2011
    My husband just finished his 6 months of captain career course fun, and right at the beginning, we had a little family-focused orientation to the post sort of thing. A large part of it was highly encouraging a week-long course/seminar thing that was basically focused on being a good commander's wife and running an FRG.
    I felt awkwardly pressured into signing up for it (perhaps because his commander was sitting right next to us...). As it turns out, the one thing morning sickness has been good for was getting me out of it. :D The timing was really quite perfect.

I really don't get the officer's wife thing. And I would suck at running an FRG, that's for sure. Is it bad if I'm sort of hoping my husband decides he's done after his current assignment and avoids that whole command time thing?

19. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

Jul 1, 2000
    It's politics, worse than civilian politics from what I'm told. It doesn't just apply to officers, non-comm wives go through the same thing. My mother was married to a Gunny Marine and was expected to do a lot of things the officer wives are expected to do. Be a good wife to your soldier and a good word reaches his commander about him is what it boils down to. Kinda applied to me when Mom married my dad who was in the Air Force. Be a good kid. Don't do anything that'll embarrass your dad. Blah blah. Good thing we didn't live on the bases too much. I was a hellion in school. [face_evil]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005
    I fixed it! I fixed it! (Err... my word processor program was kinda broken, only really it wasn't and it turned out that the Outlook Express journaling function was on when it shouldn't have been. One google search later with a very dumb question: word processor works again!)

TrakNar likes this.
  21. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I got my new glasses today. They're much stronger than my old pair, so they'll take some getting used to. They also have bigger lenses, which make my face look smaller. They fit great and I can read the screen without leaning forward! :D

The only problem is that my right ear is higher than my left, so my glasses sit lopsided on my face. And with this pair, for whatever reason, it's more prominent.

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I love getting new glasses. I need to get new glasses since I feel out of bed, knocked my glasses off my nightstand and ended up landing on them. I've been getting by with my old pair. I buy mine from China for like dirt cheep. I know their probably made in some sweat shop, but so are the $200 frames, so I'd rather save $180.

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I stopped getting metal frames because I broke two pairs. Plastic frames seem to last longer for me. My new pair were cheap, as the frames themselves were about $60. Hopefully these last me. I still have my old pair as a backup, but those lenses are pathetic compared to my new ones. I couldn't read my screen unless I was on top of it.

24. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I like my twitter, but I'm not on it all the time. I do hate it when people are glued to their phones like it's a life support machine though. There's a new dining thing where people put their phones in a stack in the middle of the table. Whoever answers their phone first has to pay for the whole meal for everyone. It seems kind of silly to me, but then I'd get a free meal every time. :cool:

And on the topic of glasses, I have two pairs but I've lost one pair, but they're around somewhere. I'm thinking of getting contacts for occasional use though. I'm fed up with having to struggle with 3D glasses and sunglasses and stuff. I just want contact lenses for the times when being short sighted is a pain in the butt. I do like glasses though and I'd own more pairs if I could afford it.

25. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    I can't see a foot in front of my face without my glasses, so I have to wear them all the time. And since it gets hot in summer where I work, the sweat makes metal frames rust in no time flat. Plastic frames last longer, but the hinges still get rusty after a summer of abuse.

On a not-quite-utterly-unrelated note, I have a mild fetish with gals in glasses. Especially the fashion-blind ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.