main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars through the eyes of a 4 year old!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    As the title says, my 4 year old daughter is already a big SW fan. Her fav characters are Vader, C3PO, R2D2, Gungi from TCW. So far she knows ANH and several TCW episodes (young Jedi arc, droids arcs) but not all.
    She will be old enough for the Sequels in cinema in a few years and has till then to see the rest of the movie saga, and of course our beloved EU which she will love to delve into as soon as school starts and she can read closer to the Sequels cinema release.

How would/do you introduce your kids to the vast universe, in what order etc.? I mean I know how to do it but am curious what opinions on that matter you might have. Also I wonder how my kid will experience the saga she already loves through Lego Star Wars, TCW and else.

and no, I will not start with Death Troopers of course ;) if I want to shock her I show her the Holliday Special and I fear she would like that, she loves Wookiee children after all!

so.. keep in mind, this topic is about SW for and through the eyes of a 4 year old little girl who fell in love with the vast universe her daddy is a big fan of.I know of other SW parents blog entries and websites detailing their experiences and advice, this time I ask you, TFN!

PS: And I need a trick to convince her Chewie is not adult Gungi!

Barriss_Coffee and Robimus like this.
  2. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    My son is 4. DK readers are a bedtime favorite around here. His favorites are Don't Wake the Zillo Beast, Yoda in Action, Watch out for Jabba the Hutt and Stand Aside Bounty Hunters. My son will watch TCW, and Episodes 1 - 3. Seriously he's 4 and he's seen ROTS, but he will not watch episodes 4 - 6. He won't even give them a try, he just declares he doesn't like them and leaves the room. . He loves to builds ships, vehicles, cannons, ect with the Lego sets. He is able to build sets that say ages 7 - 12 and 8 - 14 with very little help. He does need some assistance, but they occupy him by himself for long periods of time before he gets stuck. He also likes the Star Wars Legos games on x-box. My husband and I are boths SW fans so my son thinks SW fandom is normal.

3. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I was in 1st grade when my dad introduced Star Wars to me... If you like to read to her at night, might i suggest Last of the Jedi featuring Ferus Olin, right after EP3. Also it will be a tough find, but firmly put me into the EU realm, JJK featuring Anakin Solo his friend Tahiri and this guy...

[​IMG]
    Ikrit the Kushiban Jedi Master, the wisdom of a Jedi Master with the cuteness of Gungi

4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I always wonder what the best way to introduce Star Wars to children and new viewers is. A purist view of 456123 or the chronilogical 123456? I think it depends on the age of viewer. 13+ watch the OT first. But let's face it, Episode 1 is designed to draw in the young viewer, get them hooked. I think with time your son will learn to like the Original Trilogy... Not to mention, if you like the PT and you like the ST, might as well at least enjoy the OT

5. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Ugh.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Do you deny it?

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    How interested is a 4-year old in a tax dispute?

Zorrixor likes this.
  8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Clearly Jar Jar getting his tounge caught in the pod racer beams, and Jar Jar falling on a tank, and Qui Gon catching Jar Jar's tounge when he is being obnoxious, and the obvious fart joke with the Eopie...

Robimus likes this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    agreed there JediBen the movie might look cool but even if my daughter is far more clever than usual for her age, I want not to force stuff on her that is intended for much older people, except in few cases where she really understands and can deal with stuff. ANH was fun to her and she ignored the skeletons of Owen and Beru burning mostly.

so far she wants star wars visual more so than read books to her. more like reading comics to her maybe.also she loves the soundtracks.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...or else? :p

11. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    You might find that she moves away from Star Wars as she grows;)

That said, my own daughter got introduced to the franchise largely through the Star Wars Lego video games. Very kid friendly stuff thats fun and tell a comedic view of the story at the same time.

12. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I don't think kids from the '70s-'90s had any trouble getting into Star Wars without being pandered to, though. The story and characters were somehow enough to capture their imaginations even without cartoons farting on other cartoons. I have yet to see a convincing rational argument for how watching the movies in chronological order on the first viewing improves the story in any way.

Especially if the issue is kid-friendliness. ANH may show Owen and Beru's charred skeletons, but it doesn't show them screaming as they're burned alive. :p

Ulicus , Jedi Ben and Zorrixor like this.
  13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    o_O

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    How interested is anybody in a 4 year old tax dispute?

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  15. jedimaster203

jedimaster203 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 19, 1999
    My daughter is not yet 6 months old, but I'm already (some would say insidiously) creeping some star wars love in. She likes brightly colored things, so I play TOR while she watches :)

She honestly does enjoy watching though!

The sequels please me immensly, because I'll get to share the theater experience with her.

16. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Some ideas:

Have her watch ROTS. Show her that there's more than one Wookiee in Star Wars.

Show her Chewie in the Padawan Lost/Wookiee Hunt arc in TCW.

Explain that ROTS happens during the Clone Wars, and that Chewie is a full grown adult in ROTS while Gungi is a youngling in TCW.

Point out that Chewie doesn't have any Force powers or a lightsaber in the OT.

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

that only works if she accepts logic.. something I am not convinced of yet :p but good ideas, thx, will try those!

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed. Plus I'd not be surprised if watching them through chronologically risks putting them off the OT, as they'd have grown attached to Anakin Skywalker first, meaning Darth Vader is more likely to come across as a betrayal of their lovable boy hero, who would NEVER NEVER NEVER do that evil stuff in ANH!!! :_|

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    So what happens when people decide to watch 789... then the rest of them?

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    blasphemy!

21. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I know, it would make NO sense, purist will be 456123789, chronological will be 123456789, but someone will watch 7 first. Disney is practically begging for it. And when they do there is going to be alot of this is a Jedi talk. As long as Luke isn't talking abot Midichloriene counts, we are all good

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    "My father was never a bad man. It was just because his midichlorian count was too high."

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    oh I can see it now... new generation of Sequel heroes.. and when we tell the new fans starting with Sequels that the Sequels are the END of the Saga, they cry out in pain and want more trilogies thereafter to continue their new heroes lifes... d'oh

24. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    it is the saga that never ends...

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    every good tale needs an end... endless tales usually suck despite having great moments. but the best tales end. which is why I dislike the neverending Marvel, DC etc. comic storylines despite loving parts of them.

I mean the Saga and SW universe can expand and go on endless, but the main story needs a proper end, the core of the saga.

Zorrixor likes this.