main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003

Did you read the comics in the past week or something?

2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    No. But he's pretty damned bad as it is in the show. I'm not sure why showing that evil coming out of a real person would be preferable to portraying something like a 'pure evil' person, which isn't a thing that exists.

Also, lol @ the phrase 'as he actually is', as if the comic were the account of his 'real' life and the show were a biopic. He isn't 'really' anything. Comic Governor may well be more evil than Show Governor, but since they're two different characters in two different stories it hardly matters. I'm just saying, I've heard a little bit about the comic character, and I think the show character is more nuanced and interesting from what I've seen.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Show Governor has less of a penchant for rape than his Comic counterpart. So only the comic Governor has a shot in the GOP.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    k

5. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    Show governor is ok. But they're making you feel a bit sympathetic to him. He doesn't feel so evil to me. Just doing this crazy stuff to protect his community. It all comes off a bit predictable.

Comic governor was a raping, kissing his own toothless daughter with tongue, hand chopping off agent of chaos behind closed doors. A serious two faced sociopath.

I prefer the comic version.

6. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I dunno. I HAVE read the comics and I kind of agree with Rachel. Comic!Governor is a great villain, but is honestly a bit simplistic. The only really unusual part of who he is is how he treats his daughter. Show!Governor seems to have a more multi-faceted personality, or perhaps a better way of putting it is a more realistic one. I can see Show!Governor actually existing more easily than Comic!Governor.

7. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Plus, I think Kirkman probably realized AMC as far as they have let him go so far with this show, probably wouldn't let him get away with half the stuff Comic!Govenor does; least of which some of the stuff with his daughter in the comics.

8. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  9. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Isn't part of the Governor's portrayal in the show supposed to be showing him transitioning from his Rise of the Governor attitude to his comic book attitude? I thought I'd read an interview where he was saying that his show portrayal is supposed to be that.
    From they way things happened in the finale and his attitude at the end of the episode, I'd certainly say he's about there. I think having his zombie daughter stabbed through the head was the breaking point.

10. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep, David Morrisey said in TV Guide that his version of the Governor was near the beginning of the journey, which in his words 'gave him more shades to play with.' and yes, I'm with you on him nearly being there (and I'm SO glad the original Wiki sypnosis about Made to Suffer was wrong).
    I am however worried that it's Andrea, rather than Michonne who'll be raped by the Governor in the second half of this season.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, see, if he lives long enough to get to completely insane levels after all this, I can see that. But I want a villain whose motives make sense and, yes, even might be sympathetic. Because otherwise it makes anyone who's believed in him a complete idiot, not a person realistically hoping for a peaceful future so much that they are willing to turn a blind eye to some hinky things. And yes, in a show, even a zombie show, realism is much more important than in a comic.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I think that a lot of people forget about some of the major differences between the different media types, and how that impacts upon what can be done. Comics are a medium that allows for both the visual aspects of storytelling that isn't available in a book, but still allows the ability for first person or tight third person storytelling where we can actually see the inner thoughts of a character. The episodic nature of both individual issues and also collective issues as a single story allows for a flexible format for the rise and fall of tension and reveal. Each individual issue will have a type of climax, but even though you have the forced breakage of only 22 pages there is no limit on the length of a story arc so you can pace it out with a specific beat to hit the arc climax.

Television is different in that it's more visual and nuanced in that than you can get in static images, though lacks the ability to get inside someone's head unless you use a voice-over (not in any way a bad storytelling device just one that you can't drop into and out of at whim). The pacing is also more rigid in that you have regular, fixed time periods to tell a tale, a fixed number of episodes to tell it in, and either have to tell stories mainly in one to two episodes, or set across an entire season as audiences are not as commonly favourable to multiple lengthed story arcs in an individual year.

The Governor as presented in the comics works. Brilliantly. Why? A couple of reasons. One is because like all good villains in comics he is build upon archetypes. We don't need to spend issue after issue getting into his head to know his motivation and the lengths he will go to. We are given information that builds the broad brush-strokes, other pieces that add specific colour to the areas that matter directly to the story and then the rest is left to be filled in with assumptive aspects from the cultural consciousness. The choice of his visual look and the way he talks and acts all feed into it. The second feeds off, and feeds into this. And that is that overall the amount of time spent on the arcs about Woodbury and the Governor, while long in terms of real world time from first appearance to last, it's not a lot from a specific story length. He first appears in issue 27 and that first arc is wrapped by issue 33. From 34 to 42 he doesn't appear and there are only 2 issues that deal with Woodbury at all. Then the second arc is from issue 43 to 48, and one of those issues details all the intervening time at Woodbury. So yes, the story stretches over a 7 and then 6 month time period with 8 months between them, but isn't really a lot of page space, a total just shy of 300. So we don't have time to go deeply into his backstory and who he was before the infection hit. We don't know his name or what he was. We just know he is one bad-ass M*, and what he does shows that.

But translate that to TV time. If they were to do a direct translation, you would cover around 3 issues of a comic in each episode. Suddenly he goes from being a big, over-arching threat for a season to a front-end or back-end third of a season villain. And very two dimensional in the portrayal. Sure, they could write the Governor as more violent, more psychopathic, a hell of a lot less sympathetic. But it would come at a cost. With a character like that, there has to be a clear trajectory to their actions, and it has to be acceleratory. Anything less and they lose appeal. It means what they do has to be worse than the last, and that doesn't leave a lot of room given the stakes already set for a series like this. On the other hand, a more nuanced portrayal, someone that is charismatic, calculating, could possibly be what he claims to be, but sociopathic allows for a longer arc with possible ebbs and flows. It also lets the writers explain why people would stay in Woodbury, which was not touched upon really in the comics since the town itself and the ideal it presents holds a bigger place in the TV story. Yes, that was part of the choice of the writers, but it's part of showing the wider world and not just the core group which was one of the criticisms of last season.

So yes, the comic version of the Governor was really something. But personally I'm liking Morrisey's version just as much, it has it's own flavour and menace. It is different, but no more so that Carol or even Rick are.

13. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Didn't realize they were doing the governor transitioning from Rise.
    So who do we think he'll rape in the second half of season 3? Michonne is still a good candidate.

14. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    My money's on you, Vin. Get ready for it.

15. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    Merle. Clearly he will rape Merle.

16. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Your Icon really makes this as well

17. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [​IMG]

18. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    I never realized creepy Batman could be so creepy.

19. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Perhaps Judith.

20. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I wonder if Merle has ever stumped anyone.

21. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah, guys. Rape is hilarious.

22. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I see it being Andrea if it happens at all. I don't think there will be much of a time jump going into the 2nd half of the season. I see a direct assault by the G-man and crew almost right away. They do have the military equipment and taking it to the prison should not be all that hard.

23. Spider-Fan

Jul 15, 2008
    George Carlin thought so.

24. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Bourne out of his years of experience as a woman having to watch her back any time she's out at night, I'm sure.

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005