main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I feel like only a few of us try to enjoy these episodes.

Zabrak 2 and LordMortis315 like this.
  2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Whenever people say something like that, they always sound to me like they feel oppressed for having their own opinion.

As for me? Delta Squad would have had this mission done last episode.

3. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Yep...other than the crash scene that's pretty much it. They walk pointlessly around this void desert. This entire episode could have been done in a five- six minute scene during an episode rather than an entire 22 minute segment. It just frustrates me because scenes where we as the viewers should have seen to envoke emotion in us and link back to the main plot of stories (like Mina being murdered by Dooku's men, how Bane kidnapped some of the children in Children of the force, etc) are all simply thrown out there in a sentence yet we get an entire episode of droids walking around in circles in a desert until some giant ostriches bring them to a random abandoned city...and now we wait a month for the next part to explain where exactly they are.

Valairy Scot and Order66Survivor like this.
  4. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Trust me, I really tried with these last two droid episodes. Other than some of the visuals, they have been overall incredibly boring. The rest of the season has been great, this arc is just not up to par.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  5. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That's a big jump wouldn't you say? There's a difference between a slow paced show that has nothing going on, and a slow paced film that is packed with symbolism and introspection. There's still stuff going on in ESB when it's slow, while in the Void, there is only death.

6. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    " a bewildering expanse of emptiness"........................................[face_dunno]WTF.... so this is the Moebius- tribute..... okayyy.... maybe they should've left "Secret Weapons" to be stand-alone....

7. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    QFT

8. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    When I saw some Moebius things it just looked like TCW/SW concept art almost.

9. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Thankfully that's not case then.

Alas, It wouldn't be much of a story if it was that simple.

10. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    well this was definitely a snooze fest episode.

11. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I feel really guilty for liking this episode because it was so dang weird.

12. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well, having just seen the episode, I can safely say that is is also packed with symbolism and introspection. Does it do it as well as ESB? Nah, not really. This episode is heavy on clichés and archetypes, but hardly boring.

I just hate it when people call stuff boring just because there's no action and only people talking. SW has plenty of room for a quiet episode like this.

13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It was more of an art exhibit than a television episode.

I can't say I enjoyed having Gascon give a ham-fisted rundown of the symbolism in this episode. The explanation was for the kiddies, but perhaps some of the people here somehow missed it.

I'm sure some of you know by now that I'm not really a fan of "art", so I didn't enjoy it one bit.

cwustudent and Order66Survivor like this.
  14. Super_Battle_Droid

Super_Battle_Droid Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2002
    They should've showed Gregor at the end.

15. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Wow, lots of people jumping on people for not liking an episode. Even more hilarious are the comments made prior to watching the episode. :p

16. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    I do I liked it how Gascon got crazy and all that this was entertaining not cool or fun it was entertaining like Darth Vader said.

17. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    Kark, what was in that coffee I drank? [face_hypnotized]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  18. Darth Pipes

Darth Pipes Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 12, 1999
    The comet sequence was really well-done and I enjoyed the look of the planet. I did find the maybe he's going to jump jokes to be funny. Odd episode but I enjoyed it.

19. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There are two more episodes of this?!

[​IMG]

20. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    Ok I just watched the episode and well.....It DIDN'T suck !!

But I didn't like it. However I made an attempt to enjoy it and I did.

Why? R2. Other characters....

The colonel was terribly annoying once again, seemingly forgetting all the lessons he learned about the value of his droid soldiers last episode. Guess he didn't watch it either. :)

WAC actually made me laugh quite a bit . I too wanted Gascon to jump so I could pretend to picture all the kids watching that.

However the ending was soooooo childish in the sense of absolutely shoving lessons down our throat. I think we got the birds/instinct lecture twice in a minutes time. (Maybe try the Modern Family method and use corny heartwarming camera work to deliver the lesson we should have learned today)

Visually this show delivers, graphically as well although when they crash I initially couldn't tell if it was a desert planet or a snowy planet, maybe it's just me.

When the ostriches were seen in the distance, I was reminded of Lion King. For an instant I thought this was the end of our beloved frog colonel, but man those speedy ostriches managed to miss both him and WAC... At the very least they could have knocked the dialogue out of their mouths :)

In the end I still have to give it an F. Making a conscious effort to enjoy something - NEVER a good thing - and the very very worst part of this episode is the episode itself. (I/we) believe this is NOT something that we should be seeing in this series.

Sorry for rambling, 1 final thought;
    My TV guide: "The Jedi Knights of the Republic battle Count Dooku and the evil separatist forces."

Lol , since when ?

21. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Just watched it
    - The graphics in this episode were amazing.
    - Wac, please, shut the heck up.
    - Funny how R2D2 saved the droids repairing the ship when in Episode I he didn't care a single bit as they got blasted away.
    - 'A Sunny Day in the Void', certainly an interesting planet. Looks like the planet is made of salt and sand.
    - I found myself wanting this episode to end when the Colonel started loosing his mind.
    - Wac, please shut up. I won't be sorry at all to see him go.
    - I guess that city is were we'll find Gregor next episode.
    - Please dear god, don't let that be the mid-season finale. Let there be another episode next week, I don't want to have to drag this out in 2013.

I'll give it a 4/10 for the scenery. Docked 3 points for Wac, another 3 points for the Colonel loosing it.

Not very impressed with this arc, defiantly not as good as Young Jedi.

At least they're getting this junk out of the way, the Clovis/Padme/Anakin arc looks interesting because of the connection to ROTS (Obi-Wan telling Anakin he knows that something is going on between him and Padme, for example, Anakin beating the crap out of Clovis, and the Maul arc is probably going to be one of the best arcs in the series, imo.

IndianaBones and Order66Survivor like this.
  22. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    You are not in luck KED12345 as today's episode is the last one to air before 2013. :(

Zabrak 2 likes this.
  23. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    It's called character development. ;) Plus, different scenario. In TPM there was nothing Artoo could do since the other astromechs were blasted away immediately. Here, they started to slowly float away, and he was finished working, so he had the opportunity to save them.
    Lol, I'm calling people out and defending this episode even though I thought it was only mediocre. Cuckoo, I know. 8-}

rumblewagon and Order66Survivor like this.
  24. Swashbucklingjedi

Swashbucklingjedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 3, 2010
    That was really enjoyable episode against all expectations Damn this may've been one of the best episodes yet since there was nothing wrong I can think of..... but there was not much anything so what could be wrong? Colonel Gascon is such a sympathetic guy!

+Comets were great
    +Gascon's existentialistic crisis and madness were just awesome
    +World with a salt desert or something makes Tatooine hospitable desert world- great idea
    +Dinosaur-birds were pretty great creature-design- nothing too imaginative though
    +Artoo was just like his movieself- always one step ahead of other heroes
    +Wac's comments about Colonel made me laugh hard

Only con is placement of this episode and this entire arc- this kind of wild ideas should be placed after more traditional action-episodes- jedi kids-arc was not too traditional either.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Are you kidding me?
    I barely made it through the last one, really disliked almost everything about it and this episode is just...about as interesting and exciting as counting grains of sand.
    I am sorry, but there is absolutely nothing I like in these episodes - except for Artoo being Artoo.
    The rest is just...I want it to stop so we can get back to some decent stuff going on.