main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the **** are the video game awards?

2. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
  3. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Agreed its like a choose your own adventure book but with 1000% more intensity.

4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    What does it sound like? :p

5. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the oscars for permavirgins?

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Was anybody else going through withdrawal on the first Sunday night without a TWD ep?

7. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
  8. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Nope still reading the trades to catch up.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Kind of...I usually DVR Family Guy, American Dad and Homeland but got to watch it live for once.

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I hate mid-season breaks, so yeah, I was annoyed that there wasn't a new episode.

11. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Nearly all my fave shows are at mid - season breaks. It's going to be a hard two weeks until the Doctor Who Christmas Special to give me a little bit of sustainment until they all come back (assuming the Mayans don't destroy us all on the 21st first)

12. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  13. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  14. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm of two minds on that. On the one hand, it'd be interesting to see the beginnings of TWD's zombie apocalypse, but on the other hand, A)it could leave a lot to be desired, re: below fan expectations, where it to be shown and B)if it doesn't get shown in canon, that's what fanfic's for.

15. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    That's the difference, though, between The Walking Dead and every other zombie story. Usually that's all we get- the beginning of the zombie apocalypse. Most of the main characters die and that's it. This comic and show skip that and show life after the end, where people actually last longer than a few days or a week.

Juliet316 likes this.
  16. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I think that's the appeal for me with this show as well. I've long said I'm not a horror movie fan and part of the reason I've come to realize is that horror movies are basically "rocks fall; most everybody dies" type of deals, so it's really hard to care for a bunch of people where you know most of them are going to be dead by the end of a two hour movie. With horror - genre shows like The Walking Dead and Buffy, the show - runners and writers have more time to delve further and develop the characters and their motivations, so as with The Walking Dead, when it comes time for the characters to met their inevitable end, you've come to be emotionally attached to them and ergo can at least feel something whether it's loss or happiness (if you hate the character) or a rollercoaster of emotions in between. So while a part of me is interested in how the zombie apocalypse started on TWD, I'll gladly trade that for continuing to see how these characters, grow (or regress in some cases), and how their stories unfold.

17. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's an origin story for the sake of an origin story. There's no big reveal needed unless it hold the crux to solving the issue or explaining why it happened. And since this show is more about the characters and the way people react to an upheaval in the social rules it is unnecessary. It's similar to what they've done (at Steven Speilberg's suggestion) with Falling Skies in not showing the invasion, just the aftermath of it.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree and I'm OK not seeing the outbreak. It leaves another level of mystery to the show. More room to develop the characters. They're not focused on finding the cure but just staying alive. That's what brings me back every week, the struggle to stay a live. If at some point down the road the power came back on and some group of doctors hiding away somewhere find a cure then that's how you end it in my mind.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't know what happened in the comics, but I fully expected never to see the outbreak in the show and am more than fine with that.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Actually yeah, the show has been way more definitive than the comic, what with the CDC thing in the show. In the comics Rick figures out everyone's infected on his own when he first sees someone who was shot to death come back, and then he checks the grave of someone else who was shot but not bitten, which confirms his theory.

But yeah, the comics and show both began the exact same way, with Rick being shot and falling in a coma only to wake up after everything had gone down.

21. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Juliet316 likes this.
  22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Juliet316 likes this.
  23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    I'd heard rumors that S3 was going to be in B&W, I'm guessing when it's reaired, it'll get the same B&W treatment.

24. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
  25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Actually I saw the first ep in B&W when they did the marathon last summer. The effect was actually creepier for the most part.