main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Swashbucklingjedi Just 'cause there's nothing wrong with something doesn't make it good. Lol, I'm all all over the place today with this episode.

I'm like the Janitor. Chop Busting.
    [​IMG]

TaradosGon likes this.
  2. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    So basically...Waiting for Godot in Star Wars?

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    The story so far reminds me of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1. This episode was destined to be worst of the bunch: the characters are supposed to be at their lowest, most helpless. When Gregor shows up, D-Squad will have a new chance to complete their mission. So, regarding your question, hopefully the next two episodes will be like Deathly Hallows, Part 2.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Who the hell is this Gregor everyone is talking about?

Yeah, nevermind, Googled it.
    I thought it was some kind of inside joke since...well...Gregor is not really a name I'd expect a Clone Commando to have...

...wonder if they'll show the rest of his squad...Phil and Josh...

Order66Survivor likes this.
  5. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The clone commando from the S5 trailer that will show up allegedly in the next episode after the winter break.

Not sure if it still qualifies as a spoiler, but since it's dealing with a future episode, I'll denote it as such:

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Apparently that's Ruins of Dantooine. Tells you a lot about how this episode is being received, doesn't it? :p

7. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    This episode reminded me of Davey Jones Locker in Pirates 3,very sureal and weird like they were in the afterlife or something.

rumblewagon and Order66Survivor like this.
  8. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    but didn't have clones of their selves in it

9. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Thinking about this episode some more, I think it mainly suffered from attempting too much. It was trying to fit the basic premises of existentialism into ~22 minutes. But there's a reason mountains of books have been written on these ideas. If you stick it in a kid's show and have the main characters questioning their existence in the first two minutes, the whole "experience" aspect of existentialism is wasted. You're telling your audience what to think, not leading them through the steps of the thought process so they can put themselves in the narrator/characters' positions.

10. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I liked it, not many shows, let alone sci-fi these days go out on a limb like this. It helps that SW has enough money and pull to make abstract episodes that might be difficult to sit through. Whether successful or not. All the designs, ships, animals, the town, reminded me more of MÅ“bius designs than the usual SW stuff. I can see why Filoni highlighted it.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I hate, hate, hate, hate, super-mega-ultra hate, WAC.

I even wasted an obnoxiously long part of my day to create something to make fun of him.

[​IMG]

CT-867-5309 and cwustudent like this.
  12. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    haha I don't know about this episode seems like they were trying to save money by hardly using anything new. The basic premise I don't mind, but since you have mostly droids seems like they missed a lot of potential this story could of had. I would have preferred to see any of the Jedi out there having weird almost biblical force visions, having to confront something inside themselves, instead we basically got the Crazy Frog. Not a great place to break for the holidays.

13. Zabrak 2

Zabrak 2 Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 7, 2012
    I like every clone wars episode somehow .

14. Asharak

Asharak Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2003
    An awfull break point for the seson, the episode wasnt that bad, but this isnt the type of episode you use as a midseason cliff-hanger.

15. atouchofanarchy

atouchofanarchy Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 13, 2011
    Except nowhere near the genius of Waiting For Godot. Nowhere near genius at all Imo. :p

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Basically, it's nowhere.

Where it should have stayed, as far as I'm concerned.

17. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    "You can't have your characters say how they feel! That makes me so angry!" - Robot Devil

18. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I think this is the first time I've pulled a GGrievous and just skipped the episode. Just not interested.. and I went with Padme and Jar Jar episodes.

CT-867-5309, Order66Survivor and Esg like this.
  19. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    lol that episode was hilarious....

I like these episodes :p

No stupid plot twists or anything.

Darth Vader likes this.
  20. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    +Comet shower was beautiful
    +Loved the droids' interactions on the outside of the ship
    +The crash landing was great
    +Abafar is gorgeously animated; the depth of the "void" really settles in; Tatooine looks like heaven compared to this place
    +Love how R2 pretty much says "**** you" to Gascon
    +Nice touch with the skeleton and broken astromech on the crashed ship
    +City is intriguingly designed

-WAC is such a ****ing idiot
    -Gascon is a moron, dear God this episode would have been so much better if he had just shut the hell up
    -Corporal?

7/10

Much better than the last one, although if the Colonel had kept his freakin' mouth shut for most of the time, it would've been much better

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Ok, definitely a weird episode idea for Clone Wars... At least Filoni warned us! ;)

I actually think they were digging deep with the existential crisis, and how successful they were is up to the viewer. I found it successful when they got to the point of Gascon questioning his life staring into Wac's eye. If the froggy guy died, the droids would push on and continue to live. It brought to mind the idea of the living nature of A.I. with the droids. In the middle of a desert, who is to say Gascon is any more alive than the droids?

Character development was much better than the last one with Artoo's heroics in the comets, and the development of the relationship of Gascon and Wac. I felt WAC's humor was much better here with him deadpanning as Gascon went crazy. The suicide talk and "maybe he should have jumped" was good darkish humor for a kids show. Artoo getting in Wac's face for the mech bashing was fun also.

The moment with the bird creatures arriving was actually really good to fulfill Gascon's arc of understanding to act on instinct and believe in "the Living Force" as Qui-gon would say. It was a nice visual moment too and the birds were funny nuzzling up to WAC. This was kinda like a good Pixar movie moment.

So to critique a bit, Gascon talked way too much and that was annoying for the first half. Also this is looking like its ticking off a lot of folks in that it's a weird offshoot of Star Wars and not just war/Sith/clone stuff. To those who don't like it, I would say it may pay off when we see the arc as a whole, but I could see some folks just not getting into this part. Personally I thought it was a big improvement over last week and an interesting development in ideas and characters. It could make the overall arc more fulfilling with this weighty material in the middle.

rumblewagon and Order66Survivor like this.
  22. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Sorry if this episode is too DEEP, HIGH-BROW, and SOPHISTICATED for you PLEBS to understand!

23. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    As with all the long arcs, this will play better without the 5 day delays between episodes.

I'm an old fan of the "Droids" series so I'm liking this.

As a lifelong passionate Moebius fan, I'm loving "The Void". But it ended just as the visuals really started delving into the Moebius tropes.

Overall, not my favorite episodes, but enjoyable. I'm looking forward to this season getting back on track & for more EVII info to come out :)

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Last episode for 2012 :(

25. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    Does this episode make your intended audience scream "Wow, I'm looking forward to more of this in a month!"

Order66Survivor and Esg like this.