main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT The value of entertainment

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by -NaTaLie-, Dec 3, 2012.

1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Just a random thought while watching AOTC.

When Anakin and Obi-Wan go into the nightclub on Coruscant, there're three big screens with sports events (one of them is podracing). The patrons are watching them, just like people do in real life.

A few days later, and both Anakin and Obi-Wan - along with Padme, who they're trying to help here - become the subject of the gruesome crowd entertainment on Geonosis. So I'm thinking: if Dooku set up live broadcast, it's quite possible that same folks in the club watch our heroes prepare to die, just like we're doing.

I don't know if it's intentional on Lucas's part, but it seems fairly ironic to me.

2. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    Mayhaps and perbe. AOTC does touch upon the unquestioned acceptance of institutionalized violence. Padme, for such a staunch critic of war, seems rather enthralled by the idea of "aggressive negotiations", doesn't she?

What's more interesting to me is the idea that the patrons of the sports bar would actually have seen the Clone War unfold live on TV. Not sure that formal executions are really a sporting event, but I guess rodeos and demolition derbys are almost the same thing.

3. Remember Adwa

Remember Adwa Jedi Youngling

Dec 4, 2012
    Did gladiators die in during games in the Kotor comic?

4. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Something else that occurred to me: our hero needs to prove himself on the arena in both TPM and AOTC. In TPM, it's his ticket to leave Tatooine. In AOTC, he's joined by the former "spectator" (Padme) and while he fares better than some other Jedi they're rescued by the clones and the event leads to the beginning of the war.

In addition to that, the arenas are not just about homage to the classics like Ben-Hur, they're also another reminder that Star Wars is loosely based on the Roman Republic/Empire (i.e. "bread and circus").

5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I keep finding more and more things to think about with the star wars prequels. I honestly never thought of that, great catch!

-NaTaLie- likes this.
  6. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    That's the best thing about prequels, and it compensates for some execution flaws. They have more layers and details than any other blockbuster franchise of the time (same goes for the OT, of course).

The last thought occurred to me while watching Spartacus (the show), of all things [face_laugh]

BoromirsFan likes this.
  7. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    The Geonosis Arena sounds like it would be a pay-per-view event, and some folks cheaped out and just caught the event at the club I'm guessing.

8. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Their idea of entertainment is very similar to ours in the fact that a place like the big city enjoys things like sports and racing. I don't think something like the Geonosis execution would be broadcast there, it seems like that would just be considered barbaric and uncivilized.

The cultures are another thing that broadens the universe of Star Wars; places like Geonosis enjoy a good bloodbath like the Romans, while Couruscant seems to be more modern with its idea of entertainment.

9. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Podracing seems a very bloody affair, and yet they're watching it too. I'm sure there's a market for macabre entertainment, just like in our world.

10. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    There was a lot of things going on in the bar on Coruscant. As Anakin walks through the bar he gets a friendly look from one of the patrons in the club in which Anakin is busy looking for the bounty hunter and does not pay attention. Then there is Obi-Wan who is taking a sip of something. I would presume it is alright for a Jedi to have a drink in moderation so long as it does not become a passion yet he tells the patron to go home and "rethink his life". Last but not least there is the video playing on the screen of the sports entertainment. Indeed it was interesting that they used robots instead of human beings for the sports whereas the Geonosians used life forms and creatures that most likely had not been fed in a very long time.

There is also the Opera. It appears that Sidious is one who likes the arts as he had a quite comfortable seat in the balcony with his entourage. It even appeared that he had a "date" sitting near him. He did get to slip in his line "Leave us." during that little interlude so he could have some personal time with a Mr. Anakin Skywalker.

11. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Good catch about the Opera. In this case, Palpatine and Anakin are both spectators but aren't really paying attention to what the performers are doing. The real performer here is Palpatine, luring Anakin to the Dark side with the tales of Darth Palgeuis.

I think it's significant that "Baron Papanoida" appears right outside Palpatine's box :)

12. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    I'd say it's on the same level of car racing in our word, which can indeed end badly. But no station could get away with airing an execution, nor would any governments allow it. That's why it's not quite applicable to our idea of entertainment.

13. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Maybe not as entertainment, but as news? Like a coverage of war or a natural disaster.

14. SlashMan

Feb 5, 2012
    In that case, it would definately be news. Jedi and a Senator of the Republic about to be executed by Separatists? Definately applicable to real-life tragedies (Benghazi).

15. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    This may or may not fall under entertainment but I believe that the Jedi did not use one of their best ideas to expose the Emperor. Once they found out that he may be a Sith Lord why did they not go to the media. One thing that I noticed was that the Jedi isolated themselves from regular everyday people in the prequel trilogy. The only ones that I saw that did not isolate themselves was Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon Jinn.

16. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    With what? It's not as if Anakin had a holo recording of Palpatine showing his true colors.

It's probably true about the council. They're the ones sitting in the literal "ivory tower".

17. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    Palpatine was a public figure. I find it very hard to believe that they did not have cameras in that office for the Chancellors own protection. They have security recordings of Anakin turning to the Darkside in Palpatines Office but they do not have any of him saying he is a Sith Lord? I find that hard to believe. There are so many things that the Council did wrong in the prequel trilogy.

18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The only Anakin security recording I recall is of him, in the temple, massacring younglings.

In the novel Palpatine records the initial stages of the confrontation with the Jedi- then cuts it off- and plays the truncated recording afterward. It includes Mace accusing him of being a Sith Lord- and has him responding basically that "even if that's true- my religion is my business"

19. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    The novels do explain a lot more. My only point in saying that was that I felt Mace's decision to go face Palpatine instead of going to the public and letting them know what was going on first was a fatal flaw. He could have used the media to show what was happening. If they have security recordings they could have easily put Palpatine on the defensive. Instead they play right into his hands. In the novel as you pointed out Palpatine already knew to use the media in the way he saw fit. Palpatine tried to make it into an argument about religion when he knows that could not have been further from the truth.

20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Bringing along cops, and reporters- might have made it harder for Palpatine to present himself as the victim.

21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    At this point, the Jedi couldn't trust anyone. I suppose they were so used to be the protectors they didn't realize they'd need backup at some point.

22. Felicia

Dec 3, 2012
    The Jedi were out of touch in the prequel trilogy. That is exactly the case. At times it seemed as though they felt that they were the "only" ones who could help. However in the original trilogy we see Luke use every resource available including the Ewoks. Ultimately the media could have helped the Jedi reach regular people. Instead they isolated themselves and that is more than likely what created so much anti-Jedi sentiment during that era. Palpatine was out and about often in the prequel trilogy. His charisma and charm had all of the bureaucrats on his side.