main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Sith in Disney Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No, he never said that. That is fandom's view of the Force. Lucas said that the Force in its natural state has two sides and only used the cancer analogy to describe the personal dynamic between the Rule of Two Sith.

Alexrd and TreborSabreon like this.
  2. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I've been expecting you. You're like the Force police around these parts, but I'm glad for it as, one, your take on the subject is in harmony with my own, two, it's clear that many folks have come away with some confusion about these matters and third, it means that I don't have to go about doing it myself! ;)

edit: Oh, and "Disney Trilogy" is silly. Should we now refer to I-VI as the two "Fox Trilogies?"

KED12345 likes this.
  3. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    And there it is.

Like I said, the Sith are the counterparts of the Jedi. If the Sith do not appear in the ST, then they darn well better have something that equals or surpasses their power. I still think that a new "Sith" or dark Jedi will have some connection to Luke's past.

4. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Ugh, forgot about that.

5. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I do believe multiple threads on this exact topic already exist? Can't link to them easily as I am on my phone, but perhaps a simple search would help you to find other people's thoughts on this issue.

6. GoJohnnyGo

GoJohnnyGo Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 19, 2012
    Because if the sith return, many feel the story of episodes 1 to 6, will lose something... i dont agree...

i think the sith need to return and will... just has to be done with integrity and not by bringing back dead people with a weak narrative on how they really didnt die....

7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Lucas compared the differences between the light side and the dark side as a symbiotic relationship and a cancer. I could be wrong but I take that to mean the light side is the natural balanced state where both the Force and the user benefit.

8. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    That very same prophecy that the much older and wiser comes right out and says could be completely misunderstood. It is still very ambiguous. Considering we have never heard the full prophecy and instead just an individuals interpretation of it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I take Yoda's line as a classic red herring. It's deliberately put in the film to make it seem like the prophecy could be wrong.

10. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    This.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He never described the dark side that way, just the relationship embodied by the Sith. That was the only time he used a cancer analogy.

All light and no dark is all of one thing and none of the other. That is pretty much the exact opposite of what balance means. It's totally one-sided. Lucas is involved in TCW, and according to the Mortis episodes, "too much light or dark would be the undoing of life as you understand it". The balance is between the light and dark sides. Though not stated outright in the films, this is established in Lucas interviews, TCW, and various EU books.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  12. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    But neither of us still know that for certain.

13. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Almost think fans hate sith character now. People want many Jedi, but no sith? Amazin.

14. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I would like to see a return of the Sith. That or they could always use a Darkside cult(please, NO Nightsisters!). Or we can see a re-emergence of the Sith. I mean how many times did the Jedi think they were destroyed only to have them re-born in their own ranks? But in the end it will depend on what Lucas has written.

In regards to the Chosen One prophecy, destruction of the Sith doesn't mean for all time. That may mean just the destruction of Palps & Vader's reign.

15. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    While the current Sith are gone (Vader and Palpatine) the teachings of the Sith are not. You may destroy people, but you do not destroy ideas.

Julius Vernon likes this.
  16. K'Kruhk

K'Kruhk Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2011
    Where on earth did you get the idea that we hate the Sith? It's not that some of us don't want them to return, it's just that they SHOULDN'T return.

The Sith are gone therefore their teachings can't be passed on. Sure, there may be some holicrons or old Sith artifacts but having these in your possession does not teach you how to become a Sith. So yes, their teachings are gone, they died with Vader and Sidious.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Amazing how you've reached that baseless conclusion. People want respect for the story. RotJ shows that the Sith were defeated and died, not the Jedi.

TreborSabreon and K'Kruhk like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    A newly arisen group of darksiders could conceivably start from scratch, so to speak, and there is always the possibility of future Jedi falling and calling themselves Sith, but presumably it would take such characters a long time to relearn everything known to the earlier Sith.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    How many threads do we have regarding this topic now? I won't lose any sleep over whether the sith come back or not. It's not my story.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  20. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Non sequitur.. Did anyone teach Jeffery Dahmer had to kill and dismember people. Evil will always exist. Until you can eliminate the instincts of greed, power, and wealth evil will always exist. Unless of course there is a Utopian society that has no morality, so good and evil cant be weighed.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  21. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    He described it that way in his interview with Bill Moyers.

The light side is the natural balanced state that the Force exists. It is simply a symbiotic relationship between all living things in the universe. The dark side corrupts this and creates the imbalance. I think this is supported by the movies where the light side is never mentioned. To the Jedi it is simply the Force.

22. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Sure they do. If I were to write a book of all I learned then my teachings are still out there despite my death. It is the same with holocrons. The very sith religion has evolved itself over the years. The root issue to this discussion is found in this question. What is a sith? To many people are working off to many different answers to that question. Sith is essentially a religion. Just cause all of its followers die does not mean others cannot decide to hold to those beliefs. The prophecy never states the sith will be destroyed for all eternity. We can't keep assuming that is true.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    No, he didn't. At best, we're talking about two different "dark sides" here; I'm talking about a part of the Force itself, while the only thing Lucas called cancerous was the behavior of Sith. Some see the dark side as this behavior but it is a part of the energy field that is the Force, not simply a mode of behavior or Force usage.

In its natural state the Force has two sides, which "both need to be there" in Lucas' words, while the Father in Mortis says the same thing. The balance is between the light and dark sides of the Force, which has been stated by Lucas in addition to "lower" levels of canon. Thus it is meaningless to say that the light side is a balanced state; no dark side is as unbalanced as you can get. The sides of the Force are aspects of the Force, not states of the Force.

It was mentioned in TESB, just called by a different name, and it was also referenced in the ROTJ script.

24. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, he didn't. The Sith exploit the Force through the dark side, and that's what causes inbalance.

25. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    I just watched the documentary again to make sure and you guys are right he never states that. Sorry, I took wookieepedia too seriously. I don't no where they got the quote from now. I haven't seen the Mortis arc yet so I'll be sure to check it out.