main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It kind of does though, from a narrative POV. World War I was "The Great War" until WWII essentially turned it into a mere prelude to the war that looms largest in the cultural psyche.

kainee likes this.
  2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Better metaphor. It's like saying WWII takes away the meaning of the civil war

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, quick! Move those goalposts!

The civil war has no significance outside the U.S.--it's the equivalent of some dust-up on an isolated planet. OTOH, the Galactic Civil War and the Vong War are both galaxy-wide events, just as WWI and WWII were global events. Your first analogy was apt, except you didn't realise you were on the other side of the argument.

kainee and BonhillBhoy like this.
  4. Varguitas

Varguitas Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually it isn't- it's contradictory to the phenomenons applied in the SW universe about balance to the Force and such.

5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    The Vong didn't even use the Force....they got stripped of it if you knew about the parties involved. And balance of the Force never said no war would break out or we wouldn't be getting a damn sequel

6. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yes, preferably ion cannons.

kainee and BonhillBhoy like this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL wut?

If the end of ROTJ means "balance to the Force" and therefore no conflicts again, Disney is going to have a hard time making a sequel.

Pro Scoundrel and Esg like this.
  8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This is difficult for me to answer, as I have not read any of the NJO, but I would think it might be possible to skip far enough over the Vong War to where it wouldn't really have an impact on the movies, while the ST still relates directly to the previous films. I actually have no idea if it it's possible actually, but if not then I would say bye-bye to the EU, or at least everything from the NJO on.

9. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    Man, people get this. When I say balance to the Force I don't mean their won't be wars. What I mean is that it makes no sense that we have a war that is so gigantic after ROTJ, that it makes the events that happened in the movies look silly in comparison. The events in the movie happened, my friends when the dark side of the force clouded eveything and was strong. And instead the Vong War happened when an alien race from some other galaxy that isn't even embodied by the force invades.SEE WHAT I MEAN?????

10. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    How can the EU be incorporated into the ST without confusing the average viewer (read: non hardcore SW fan who has only seen the movies, or maybe only one of the films, or just knows about the series without actually having seen any of the films)? There's too much back story that would require someone to go and read all the books just to understand what might be going on! Honestly, that's unfair because it limits the appeal of the films to the really hardcore fans. Not a very profitable idea for any studio to follow...

Ultimately this series has to be made for the broadest population of movie goers, because it's not just the uberfans with money to spend.

kainee and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    IDK, I had no issue not knowing anything about the Clone Wars when they were mentioned in ANH. We were literally dropped into a world, told what we needed to know to follow the characters we meet, and then saw those characters move forward. I don't think a long exposition will be needed to get moviegoers into the story for VII, EU-compliant or not.

jedimikey, Pro Scoundrel and Esg like this.
  12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    This was my position at first, but then I started trying to figure out whether the movies could be set in a time period where the EU could still exist without imposing itself onto the movies. However, I've come to the conclusion that I just don't think that's possible, so now I'm back to sharing your feelings on the matter.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    For the trailers for Episode VII they should just have the announcer say: "Remember to read every single EU book before seeing this, or you will be rightly ****ed".
    Say it in those exact words too.

kainee and DarthRelaxus like this.
  14. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wrong. They had the Force once. They just got stripped of it's connection to the point where they . The Jedi even eventually found a way to sense them as the war progressed. And what your saying means even less sense.

15. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This is the most idiotic conversation I've ever read.

16. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually it makes perfect sense.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    To you maybe. Anyone familiar with the stories will think your full of ****

How does an invasion of creatures cut off from the Force have anything to do with the Forces Balance? There were plenty of Jedi around to oppose them, the main issue was the NR was incompetent because it didn't take the Vong seriously enough at the start

18. Varguitas

Nov 20, 2012
    I still absolutely hate those stories.

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well tough titty

I dislike morons who try to use the movies to delegitimize things they haven't read for the sake of making a incorrect point that makes no goddamn sense

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Someone likes their canon discussions "extra spicy"...

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    a little OT here but it seems like Star Wars news for Episode VII has died down.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I have a strong suspicion we'll be getting more on the 31st.

23. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I guess it'll be nice to get some news, at some point. It'll be a welcome change from all these fanboys trying to write it themselves.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    [​IMG]

jedimikey and Esg like this.
  25. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Coruscant is not an EU concept. The only EU-ish thing about it is the name.

BonhillBhoy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.