main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do not assume anything...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Dude, you're just wrong in this. I genrally like your posts and agree with you on things, but this I can't.

First, there was little speculation that it would be a 100 years. I never saw or read any article claiming that would be the case. If there was it was amongst fans and they were the ones ASSUMING as you claim everyone else is doing.

Second, as I already pointed out to you, the reason why everyone thinks the ST will take place in real time is because that is what has been reported. It didn't come out of left field. People didn't asssume anything. There are alot of articles that reported this.

I think you're a big fan of the EU and you don't want to see it trampled which is okay, but I think you'd be better served not getting your hopes up because,, as has been discussed many timnes in many threads, it is likely to happen. You have to look at it logically, which it doesn't seem you are doing. You're looking at it with your heart, what you want to see, which you're in the minority.

Which is more likely?

1) Disney uses the Big 3 as real characters in their appropriate age/role in a realistic time span since ROTJ to kick off the next series

OR

2) To bring back the Big 3 merely as Force Ghosts and Holograms

If you look at it logically and plausibly then it s obvious. Disney will try to use the Big 3 while they still can. And they only have to use them for a bit to pass the torch, but I guarantee you SW fans will NOT accept or tolerate small segments of Han, Luke and Leia as cameo force ghosts. As Harrison Ford said roughly around the time of Jedi, "A dead Han Solo doesn't sell action figures." Same thing applies. Disney wants to continue the franchise and that means the same merchandising juggernaut that Lucas built. That means expect to see Han, Luke, Leia, Lando, the droids and Chewie on peg hooks near you!

JainaSoloYJK and Krueger like this.
  2. Roberto Calrissian

Roberto Calrissian Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I assume we will see Leia in a light saber duel against Beldorion the splendid Hutt. (That will make me fall of the chair laughing at the movies if I saw that)

3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Also, he wants Michael Bay to direct it and have all the principles recast with hip young stars. He's said that repeatedly since the news of Episode 7 broke. He also said he wants those things because that will give him the film, in his words, “I would want” (meaning him, of course). It was ages ago when he made that comment, but I’ll never forget it.

Frankly, I think Star Wars is more than just a soulless, cold and ultimately empty summer blockbuster. Maybe it’s just me. It’s certainly not CoolyFett. Hopefully CoolyFett is about twelve years old. I’d be incredibly bemused if he’s a day older.

4. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    First of all, I meant speculation among fans, not in articles. Before we had any information to go on plenty of people were suggesting that the ST could be centuries removes from the OT with only an appearance from Luke as a Force ghost, and nobody seemed to complain about this idea. Then there were credible articles stating that Mark and Carrie would be returning, but with no mention of Harrison. Everything else that's been said are just rumors of which no one can be certain of the veracity.

Also, I didn't say it necessarily had to be 100 years. That specific time frame doesn't really work anyway since that's when the new Legacy comic will be set. And no, I'm not much of an EU fan at all... until recently I was constantly saying they should just plow over it and ignore everything it contains, but then it occurred to me that there could be a way to make the ST fit in the timeline at a point where the EU and the ST won't encroach on each other.

But actually I'm starting to think I may have been getting close to the reality of it, but I wasn't quite there yet. Now my thoughts about this have changed slightly. I was trying to decide what thread I should put this in or whether to start a new topic even, but I'll just go ahead and say it here now, so bear with me on this one...

What if they already have two more trilogies being planned right now? When it was announced that Kasdan and Kinberg were hired work on Star Wars, it was stated that they would be writing Episodes VIII and IX, but then it was said that they were actually working on standalone Episodes that could become Episodes X - XII. Now I'm starting to wonder if Lucas's treatment might have actually covered both trilogies and that Arnst is writing the first one while Kasdan and Kinberg writing the second simultaneously, only they're not ready to announce the second one yet. The first trilogy would be set maybe somewhere between 50-80 ABY and focus on the Skywalker/Solo grandchildren (who as far as I know haven't yet been introduced into the EU?) while still featuring the OT characters, albeit in much older incarnations. "Much older" is a term that's been used a lot in those articles as well. Then the second trilogy could be set in much later and follow their descendents, with maybe an appearence by Luke as a Force ghost in there somewhere. The more I think about this plan the more it makes a lot of sense. In that first video, note the way Lucas says, "I have story treatments of seven, eight and nine and... a bunch of other movies." Story treatments of other movies? Wait a minute, why has that been glossed over? This also totally jibes with that early MarketSaw report which seemed to have credible elements to it as well... "There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker. This is something that I understand is being discussed as the latest trilogy may end up being an amalgamation of the two using themes and ideas from both, but still keeping the general story, also allowing for continuity of cast."

Even if I end up being wrong about the dates, and movies do end up steamrolling over the EU entirely, I think there's a lot of credence in the notion that they're working on two trilogies already... but If you look at chronologies, there are spots where they can stick both trilogies where they won't be hampered by the EU very much if at all, so right now this is my strongest theory.

5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I understand where you're going, I just think that the protection of the EU is not a primary goal. There will probably be some EU that gets preserved, but I think the ST will use the Big 3 as they are now -- age appropriate -- to launch the next generation of movies.

I also happen to think you may be correct. I have been thinking that Kasdan and Kinberg could be working on the SECOND ST as we speak based of the Lucas and Arndt treatments. The way you worded it, I'm not sure if you mean 7-9 & 10-12 or 10-12 and 13-15. But either way, I think the MarketSaw story may have some validity and is the source for why I think we may see a Nomi Skylwaker, "featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker," since one of George's original treatments had the hero as Nomi Starkiller, which became Luke Starkiller, which became Luke Skywalker. So perhaps that old idea may be recycled.

In the immediate ST we follow the young Solos and Skywalker(s). Then in the next trilogy we might be following Luke's grand-daughter. I could see that. Let's just say it wouldn't surprise me. And they might be thinking about getting started now in order to give Kasdan and Kinberg "breathing room," since they aren't in the spotlight wheras the intense focus is on Episode 7.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Sorry, I did mean 7-9 and 10-12.

And I'm just saying that there is a point in the time frame where they could fit in 7-9 without either universe messing with the other one too much. The last novel is Crucible, set in 45 ABY, followed by the Legacy comic series which will pick up again soon in 100 ABY, featuring a Skywalker great-granddaughter, but the generation before hers is still unknown territory and the Big Three could conceivably be alive during that period, albeit a bit older. The next free time period is sometime after the Legacy comics, which continue to 137 ABY, and everything after that is unexplored territory. Not knowing anything about those stories, I could see that working assuming there aren't problems with it that I'm unaware of. But whether they decide to contradict the EU or not, I could see Lucas wanting to stay within an unexplored era so that everything can coexist without either universe intruding upon the other, and it's even possible that those time periods remain unexplored by his decree because that's where he wanted to set his movies.

7. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    What if Kasdan was brought in to write/produce the second trilogy 10-2 and Kinberg to write/produce the third trilogy 13-15???

Essentially, one trilogy is just one story broken into three parts.

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats the way I see it going, although I see Kasdan and to a lesser extent Kinsberg heavily involved in 7-9

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe, but I shudder at the thought of Kinsberg writing an entire trilogy on his own. I'm thinking he and Kasdan were chosen to work together because they compliment each others strengths/weaknesses.

10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Can't argue there. I was ecstatic to hear about Kasdan but Kinberg makes me uncomfortable. He wrote the wrost X-Men movie (although he had the hardest task given the crap that came before him.) And he wrote something else that I didn't like whose name escapes me. I would prefer that they worked together on at least another trilogy, if they aren't working on 7-9 as first speculated.

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well even The Hollywood Reporter changed their tune about them working on 7-9 and reported that they were doing standalone episodes that could form the basis of 10-12... I'm just taking that report one step further and speculating that they were hired to do 10-12 to begin with.

12. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    So you are suggesting that the ST will be a joint collaboration between the two?

13. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I would prefer that to side projects. And I read the HR reports. They pretty much state that it is a done deal despite no official announcement from Disney or LFL.

Kinberg worked on Sherlock Holmes and Mr. & Mrs. Smith, which makes me feel better because I liked both those films.

14. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Echo-07, I held you in so high regards until you just said you liked Mr. & Mrs. Smith. :p

15. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Ouch! :D

Well, let's put it this way. I liked it better than some of the other schlock that Kinberg's been involved in.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm saying I think Arndt is working on 7-9, and that 10-12 will be a joint collaboration between Kasdan and Kinberg.

17. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I think there may be some confusion on time frames. Episodes X-XII were supposed to take place like 100 years or some outrageous number of years after ROTJ--Lucas cut it because it was "tangential" to the other 9. The ST was not "sort of agreed" to be in real time, it just happens to be in real time. We have pretty good evidence from things that Lucas has said that the ST will take place around 30-40 years after ROTJ. Lucas even half joked in the past about having to wait until the actors are old enough.

And I suspect Kasdan may not be writing for the ST, but for episodes X-XII.

Echo-07 likes this.
  18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's essentially what I'm saying now, except that I'm proposing that VII-IX will take place a bit later than that, like maybe 50-75 years after ROTJ, and that X-XII will be at least 100 years out from VII-IX.

19. Rogue_1138

Rogue_1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Based on the minimal amount of evidence available right now, this seems like a very reasonable approach to me.

20. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I don't know about you...but I'm excited.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I wouldn't be here if I wasn't! :D

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Truth be told, I have no idea how heavily the events in the NJO impacted the galaxy, but from what I'm gathering now it seems like quite a lot, so if there's no way to ignore that then I must concede that stellarmagic01 was right, and that the NJO and Legacy eras will be rendered N-Canon. It just seems odd to me that they would be introducing a new Legacy comic now if that was the case, but who knows. I guess that could have been in the works for a while. I'm starting to back off of my proposed timeline now, but I'm still feeling relatively certain about the plan for two more trilogies, regardless of where they fit and how they impact the EU.

I think the main reason I started thinking of how the time frame could be different than assumed is because I personally really don't want to see established EU characters as leads in the ST, and that doesn't seem like something Lucas would want to do anyway, so I was just trying to find a solution that would cater to that desire as well as the desires of those who don't want to see the EU demolished. But considering the Solo twins were introduced as far back as the Thrawn trilogy, I don't see their existence being ignored at any rate, which is why I still think there's a good chance that we'll be dealing with at least the next generation after them in the ST.

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    50ABY is a good option aswell as that gives you a bit of clearence from Cruicible & you can almost forget the events from the EU not ignore them in theory just don't mention them & start fresh .

Echo-07 likes this.
  24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    There are only 2 problems I see with this.

1- In order to keep all that EU you would need the characters to continue onward. It very well could happen but I don't know that we'll see that many offspring of the Solos and Skywalkers. I think the dynamic of 2 Solo twins and 1 Skywalker boy would be good. But I could be completely wrong of course.

2- IF they retained the EU then Chewie is dead. I can almost guarantee we will see Chewbacca which renders alot of EU void.

25. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I really like the Original post on this....and to be honest I hope this is the case,brand spanking new Star Wars,new characters,the Droids would be the link and maybe a cameo by Luke Skywalkers Force ghost.This would indicate Luke and The Rebels did save the galaxy in there lifetime and all was well.But there's always room for great adventure stories told in the SW Universe and here they are.Ep 7-9.