main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Disney Chief Alan Horn: Lucas "very, very involved on a consulting basis".

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I admit that I'm a Lucas loyalist, but I don't demand anything. After all, that would make me no better than those who's sense of entitlement about Star Wars makes me so angry sometimes. I am, however, hoping for as much involvement as possible if this is to be the final trilogy of the Skywalker Saga that Lucas began. I just want to be able to watch the 9-part Saga without feeling that sense that something is off when the creator and guiding force behind something steps away from it before its conclusion. Once they begin making standalone movies or whatever they end up doing next, I'll be perfectly ok with Lucas being completely out of the picture if he wants to, and if I like it less then oh well... it will be easy to ignore or separate from the Lucas saga, so no biggie. I suppose if I end up having to only accept the original 6-part Saga in that way, then I will, but I would find it unfortunate to have to disregard an entire third of the Saga. I guess then I'd know how those OT purists feel, in any case.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I believe it's possible for him to be both: he could be quite involved from a creative standpoint, but that may not necessarily mean doing all that much at this point...

Echo-07 likes this.
  3. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I think what will happen is Lucas’ level of involvement will gradually get smaller with each film. So he’ll probably be most involved with Episode 7. His level of involvement with Episode 7 will probably be on par with his level of involvment for TESB. Then with each film, and as he gets older, it will probably become more and more distant. I can’t imagine that by the time Episode 9 rolls around he’d be that involved, if at all. Then after Episode 9 I can really see him wiping his hands clean of Star Wars forever.

Still, it sounds as though the ST at least has pretty much been decided, as in all three films. So even if he's not that involved with the making of the films themselves I'm sure his fingerprints will still be apparent throughout the whole of the trilogy in some shape or form.

-NaTaLie- and Echo-07 like this.
  4. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Didn't know Lucas went that way...

5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Is the the executive producer and one of the writers then?

Sorry but... why do you assume that the Saga must have 9 episodes? Why do you assume that it's not concluded? Just because they're marketing these new films as episodes 7-9?

6. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012

I'm guessing, yeah.

7. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012

Based on reading the entirety of his posts rather than taking parts out of context I would assume he means that if this trilogy prices the rumors true and is the conclusion of the Skywalker saga, then he would like the original creator to be part of that process. Considering this storyline is the only one we have evidence for despite its age, it is fair to consider as a plausible route for them to go.

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm actually starting to seriously consider the possibility that Lucas's treatments covered two more trilogies instead of just one, and that Kasdan and Kinsberg are writing the second one simultaneously while Arndt is writing the first. Remember what Lucas said in that first video? "I have story treatments for seven, eight and nine and... a bunch of other movies." Why hasn't anyone picked up that ball and run with it yet? Treatments for other movies? Hmmm. This does jibe with that MarketSaw report that nobody seems to be talking about anymore as well... "There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker" I could very easily see this all being true.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I agree with this. The only way I see that it could be different is if Disney did indeed shoot the ST simultaneously inwhich case Lucas would be very involved with all 3. But if they go the traditional route then I see him fading back. And I know George said this would be "the final trilogy" during the D-Day press release but i still wonder if that means last trilogy with his involvement. Something tells me that after 9 Disney/LFL will keep going with the series.

10. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I think Lucas will be heavily involved in the planning stages for all of it, but then as the movies are being made he'll start taking more of a back seat as he goes on to finally make his "experimental" films, which he's still talking about doing (and I think I might even be starting to believe that he will).

11. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Weren't the prequels experimental enough? :)

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Hehe. Who even knows what he means by experimental. He could mean anything from something along the lines of THX 1138 to some kind of small personal drama. Being Lucas though, I still expect him to fully explore the technology at his disposal and continue to push it further if he can to accomplish whatever he's doing.

13. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    I heard that episodes X-XII took place many years after the ST and had nothing to do with the Skywalker family--that's why Lucas said it was tangential and cut it from the saga. However I agree with your speculation that there will be another trilogy after the ST and Kasdan may very well be writing it. Whether it will be based on Lucas' original "tangential" trilogy, or a continuation of the Skywalker saga is anybody's guess, if they are in fact doing them.

14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I never heard that X-XII had nothing to do with the Skywalker family, and the indications now are that they will... Lucas could have considered them tangential just because of the amount of time that passes between the movies, but a lot of evidence does point to the idea that they are working them now along with VII-IX.

15. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
  16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well even if that's the case, it could have easily changed by now.

17. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
  18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm really starting to think that it never actually wasn't the plan, only that the plan has gone through several different iterations over time.

19. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    Lucas has always used the term "treatments" to refer to a bunch of unrelated notes about possible stories and information about characters and planets. I think it's just impossible that he actually has three written treatments... let alone more than three!!!

No, Lucas is saying that there are lots of possible stories out there, and that he has given all his notes to Kathleen .

First of all, the idea that these new movies will be the conclussion to the Skywalker Saga is just rumors, if I'm not mistaken. They could not be related to the Skywalker family at all... or if they are, they could not be the conclussion!
    They can always pretend that the new movies are the continuation of the Skywalker Saga... as long as they have someone named Skywalker. So it's possible that the Skywalker saga will go on for more than just episodes 7-9. Does that mean that Lucas should be still involved because, somehow, if it's about someone named Skywalker is still part of the original saga?

My point is that there are people who seem to want to see the conclussion to the Saga because they seem to think that the Saga HAS to have 9 episodes... which is a mistake IMO.

20. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    From what I've heard, GL's "treatments" for the ST amounted to about a page of ideas. Arndt then ran with that and expanded it to the 40-50pgr that Kennedy loved.

Even in that article GL is over-exaggerating. I don't believe for a second he wrote a 200 page script that he chopped into 2. I think he had the rough ideas for different episodes but they were never quite as in depth as he made out in early interviews.

21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm glad he is involved in some way, if not entirely. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Eventually, there will be a time when he won't, be it alive or dead. But since he's still among us, I prefer that he does; just not with the same control as he had with the Prequels.

Echo-07 likes this.
  22. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Not sure f you were not really reading my comment or misunderstood me, but that is exactly what I said.

And my point is that right now the only hints we have to go off of is the ideas George had 30 years ago. While I don;t think it is a guarantee they will go that route, it certainly is not a mistake to assume it is a possibility. If they are going to go with the idea of 30 years ago then why not have the original creator see it through in some way to the end? honestly can;t say I care much either way, but it makes sense to me to have him involved if this really is the end of the Skywalker story.

To recap. Yes I already said it was just rumors. It also happens to be the only lead we really have. History despite its age tells us there was originally a nine part set to the saga. It is not foolish to want the creator to be involved in the end of the saga if it happens to actually be the end of the Skywalker line of stories. I was simply putting the original guys post in context of what you were saying since it seemed like you misunderstood his basic point. Sorry if that came off differently.

23. oierem

Mar 18, 2009
    I think I get his point.... all I'm trying to say is that I don't think his point has any real basis. The vague ideas Lucas might've had 30 years ago for a future trilogy were already abandoned by the early 1980s,although he didn't want to admit at that point. Episode VI was designed as the final chapter of the Saga (thus, eliminating all the possible future storylines) and more importantly, the PT was designed to be the first part of a Saga that would end with episode VI. That's why the PT focuses on Anakin's story and has Palpatine as the big bad guy... because both elements come to a conclussion in episode VI.

With that, the Saga is closed, the story elements presented in the first episode are resolved in the last. As Lucas clearly said at the time, the Saga was finished. It's OK if now they want to keep making movies... it's OK if they want to keep telling the story of the Skywalker family... but it is NOT the conclussion to the story that began in episode I. It is NOT the final missing part of the Saga.

The problem is that Lucas has been talking about the 9-film Saga for too long, even when he didn't actually have any basis to talk about it... and a lot of people were unable/unwilling to accept that the Saga was over with 6 episodes.... They felt that the last trilogy was needed. And now that new movies are being made, they want to believe that we're getting the parts that were missing.And that's why they want Lucas involved: because, after all, these movies are still part of the same story, aren't they?

They're not, I'm a firm believer of that. Nothing that Lucas has said suggests that they're going to finish the Saga that was unfinished.

FinleySlade likes this.
  24. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    That's your opinion and I respect that. I think it is a little silly to make the same baseless assumptions while telling others they can't, but I get that you hold strongly to your view. I just want a fantastic trilogy. If that means a continuation of the sage (which is still likely with zero reason to throw out the window yet) then great. If not then that is also fantastic by me. Either way let George be involved as a consultant for his incite. It will suit him well.

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not sure about this. GL said at the signing that this was "the end of the trilogy," which could be taken as trilogy of trilogies.