main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, this bothered me too... I kept waiting for some sinister explanation.

[face_laugh]

2. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I have a feeling this will be a very polarizing episode.

There's ones that everyone loves, there's ones everyone hates (like last week's, it seems), and then there's ones like this that people will argue about for years.

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What kind of planet is this anyway, a snowy planet or a desert planet?

Order66Survivor likes this.
  4. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    I gather it was a dust desert kind of like Utah or Nevada.

5. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I see it as a desert planet, reminds me of the Atacama in Chile

Seerow likes this.
  6. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Why do I have a feeling that they're making WAC-47 intentionally annoying as a middle finger to the LACWAC? :p

While I can't say that I'm a fan of the character, I did laugh a little at him, err...asserting authority near the end. Ben Diskin must've had a blast recording it. :D

7. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Still trying to figure it out myself:oops::confused:

8. fistofan1

fistofan1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2009
    I actually thought the opposite. If anything, this episode is the epitome of pretty much every philosophical issue ever raised in SW. Granted, the way they were presented was pretty campy, but the messages were solid nonetheless. The more I think about this episode, the more I like it.

9. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I liked it. I just wish they had gone into the philosophical conundrum they had established a little more. Gascon's one line there about "Why should I justify my existence to a droid?" was an excellent question, but they didn't address it very well.

10. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    I think it got the kids to think about the big issues. That's how I like my entertainment. :)

That's what your brain is for. ;)

11. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Sorry; I guess I didn't explain my reasoning. The problem was that the question was raised but the plot took a turn immediately after, so the question in that scene (when they were originally walking) was left hanging. They chose to focus on the education/programming aspect afterward, rather than the existence part.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  12. aldrestjedimaster

aldrestjedimaster Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Does anyone know anything about this episode besides that they get stuck on a desert planet after going through a bunch of comets?

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  13. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    They did leave some of the ideas hanging, kinda like Mortis. GL likes to ask questions but not always provide you answers, i.e. prophecy of the Chosen One.

I think this may have been the Mortis-like episode that Filoni referred to before. They handled the deeper questions better though since they didn't take them so seriously.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  14. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    They are on the sun, that is the twist.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  15. LordMortis315

Sep 2, 2012
    This is a rather thought-provoking episode. I'll have to watch it again.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  16. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    My problem with this episode is that while I can see the 'deep' questions the show was trying to touch on, it never felt like it delved far enough into it for it to actually be rewarding and interesting. I was hoping for this arc to explore the droids as much as Umbara did the Clones, but aside from a few off-hand remarks("You're not like me, you're programmed!) it never seemed as though the story was ever really going to discuss the big issues at hand involving the sentience of droids aside from a passing glance.

17. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I just read the review that was posted, in it, it states at the end that there is only one season left before the series concludes. Is there something that he knows that we don't?

18. FORCE-WIELDER1

FORCE-WIELDER1 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 8, 2004
    I didn't think the episode was too bad. The humor was well-balanced, but I'm not really sure where they're going with it. The overall arc hasn't been very strong. I think that it may also have something to do with the trailer depicting this season to be very dark, fast-paced, and action-packed.

19. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    From the review: "The fact that there is probably only one full season left until the series concludes is all the more reason why experiments like this one do not serve the show well"

Order66Survivor and vong333 like this.
  20. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, like the salt flats, right?

It has me wondering what this whole thing will be about in the end. There better be a payoff.

21. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    Brent Friedman the writer of this one has been actively tweeting and replying to tweets about the episode. He's been pretty cool about responding to the critiques as well. Here are some interesting tidbits:

@BFree63: It's hard to judge 4-ep arcs til the end. So much happens in the next 2 eps that pays off the first 2. Patience helps. :)

@BFree63: In the end this arc will pay your patience well if you like Republic Commandos. Not to mention a colossal Separatist plot.

@BFree63: Sorry, no Gregor in this week's episode. But he's the heart & soul of the next episode, "Missing in Action," airing in January.

22. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    I was shocked, as well. Then I laughed a lot, probably in shock because it was said at all.

Lots of good, yellowy visuals, and many times it seemed a Twilight Zone-feel to the show, though Waiting for Godot might apply, too. It was simply the desert *and yeah, I thought it was an icy planet, at first * that reminded me of TZ and an episode with astronauts landing who-knows-where and trying to figure it all out. Sort of strange, ultimately a good TCW experiment. Really liked those birds and how they were ridden!

23. Order66Survivor

Order66Survivor Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2012
    1/11

24. Malachi108

Malachi108 Jedi Master star 3

Aug 8, 2009
    No discussion on how they found a time-displaced versions of the shuttle and themselves from an alternate reality? I love myself a good mind-screwing time paradox there.

25. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It probably hasn't been discussed because it didn't happen, Gascon just thought it did for about five seconds.

If they actually went with that for reals, I probably would have liked it and it definitely would have stirred up a bit of discussion.