main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO VGA 10: anyone care?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Valyn, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Are the VGAs even recognized as being a legit representation of quality games?

I watched some of it, but I was overall disappointed. Admittedly I've never played Walking Dead, but GOTY seems a bit extreme imo. I was also rooting for ME2 for Game Of The Decade, but Half Life 2 took that, much to Invidious's pleasure I assume.

2. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I'm just glad ME3 wasn't Game of the Year. ME2 I could see as a decade choice, but definitely not ME3 for any "Game of the" awards. Still a great game, mostly, just don't see it ever really getting past the ending controversy completely. No idea about Walking Dead, I was expecting Halo or Borderlands or whatever the latest Call of Duty or Black Ops or Battlefield is to take the award, though it was hard to tell when the award was announced as I was fast-forwarding and there is so much... strange stuff going on. Easier to just consult a list after the show to see who won what, assuming you believe their opinions (and I don't, not really). Saw an opinion piece somewhere that suggested it was actually a nice change for Walking Dead to get the award from the normal big-budget thing, but since I haven't played most of the games mentioned, no idea about quality really. At least most of the acceptance speeches are pretty normal, either that or I skimmed over them so fast nothing stuck in my memory.

I mostly just watch it for the trailers and announcements, and sometimes they are nice. Everything in between ranges between tolerable and really, really stupid... mostly stupid, but no surprise given which network we're talking about. Dark Souls 2 looks interesting, not sure if that Phantom Pain is a new thing or a setup for the next Metal Gear Solid, Last of Us looks really great and we have a release date now (unless that has changed), and Bioshock Infinite is still coming along nicely, and hopefully there are no more delays.

A few nice performances by the orchestra (strangely dressed as they were), don't think it was quite as stupid as last year, but fewer epic trailers this year, although some of the character of the year moments were funny (the Shepards, Claptrap). All the Sam Jackson self-inserts... not so much. I think they had a really nice Transformer Fall of Cybertron trailer last year, but that was due more to the game, and this was just a convenient place to show it, since the next E3 is a long ways off. A bit less stupid in general this year, but probably mostly because they were pushing the 10th year anniversary angle more than anything else.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    After the massive fan backlash over ME3's ending (remember that everyone?) I don't see how they can justify can justify it winning GOTY.

Walking Dead was amazing and was easily my pick for GOTY. But if one year ago you had told me that a point and click adventure game would be GOTY in 2012 I would have laughed in your face. I'm so impressed and pleased with what Telltale has done with the genre I grew up with.

Half-Life 2 was well deserved as Game of the Decade. It may not seem like such a big deal now but it was revolutionary when it came out and it's influence can be seen in every FPS since.

jp-30 and Life like this.
  4. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    What were the nominees for Game of the Decade? Should've been Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption, and Red Dead Redemption.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  5. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    Wind Waker
    Half-Life 2
    World of Warcraft
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Wii Sports
    BioShock
    Portal
    Mass Effect 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Arkham City

6. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    To be honest, I wasn't even aware the VGAs had aired last week. Not that I cared; that show is pretty damn irrelevant (not to mention hokey as hell) as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry to disappoint Valyn, but I'm not exactly thrilled that the VGA choose Half-life 2 as game of the decade. It is a spectacular game, yes, but hardly the best example of gaming in the last decade, one which saw a crapload of spectacular games.

If anything, I'd wager such a vote is purely lip service towards Gabe Newell & Co. for their contributions towards gaming. That said, hey Gabe, where in the actual **** is Half-life 3???[/b][/b]

7. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    Kinda surprised WoW didn't take it.

8. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Ezio got the shaft. AC2 is definitely gotd material.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, play it, then get back to us. Because then your opinion will be informed.

Fabulous work, Telltale.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    The Walking Dead could have been a lot better if, when playing through again, skipping scenes was an option.

Also, there were some issues I have with the story in that
    later in the game, Kenny would bark at me about not doing anything for Duck when first getting to the drug store in Macon when I've made a point of doing anything to protect the kids.

I've only played til the end of episode 3, partly because little inconsistencies like this have tarnished what is an awesome game, and partly because
    Carley dieded :(

What is the GOTD award based on? HL2 is a great game on an engine that runs on almost anything while still looking good, so it has to have props for that, not to mention it spawned fellow nominee Portal, CS:S, TF2, etc...

Windwaker wasn't even GOTY was it? I don't know why that's included other than as Nintendo fan service...

WoW I've never played, but this was good. An MMO that's lasted so long must be doing something right...

RDR was immense, properly amazing, GTA on horses, but so much more...

I would have recommended Arkham Asylum over Arkham City... Arkham Asylum came out of left field and obliterated every other release in it's path...

If it were my call it would be between HL2 and RDR...

11. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    Walking Dead is only available as a download yeah?

12. Exomnius

Exomnius Jedi Knight

Nov 30, 2012
    Half-Life 2 may not have been my personal choice for GOTDecade; however, I believe it was well deserved.

13. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    A retail disc copy containing all five episodes (plus bonus content IIRC) releases tomorrow in NA. Not sure about elsewhere.

14. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Damn Reynar, all your reminiscing on Red Dead Redemption got me waxing nostalgic on the game as well. What a sweet and awesome game it is. I even got Club de los Muertos playing in my head right now because of it. :p

Reynar_Tedros likes this.
  15. Reynar_Tedros

Jul 3, 2006
    It's still my favorite game ever. And I've had over two years to change my mind. Ain't happening.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  16. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Very well sir. I can't disagree with anyone who gushes over RDR. It is and perhaps will always be Rockstar's finest effort, ROFL-weird bugs and GTA comparisons notwithstanding.

17. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    RDR's only flaw was that once you beat the game you couldn't play as John anymore to complete challenges and such and had to play as Jack unless you wanted to start all over.

18. Valyn

Valyn Jedi Master star 8

Mar 2, 2002
    One day I too will play Red Dead Redemption. Unfortunately, I have almost no time to game these days. What gaming time I do manage to find usually occurs in the deep, dark midnight hours right before I pass out. And I've dedicated that time to AC3 (if only to eventually finish that game so that I can return to my replay of the Mass Effect trilogy).

Anyone else notice how Assassin's Creed 3 didn't take a single win? Halo 4 must look really awesome to win Best Graphics. I thought AC3 was quite beautiful visually (though I still believe that ME3 is perhaps the most visually stunning game I've seen on my 360).

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Halo has never looked better than it does now with Halo 4.

20. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Agreed. You should at least rent it for the campaign alone, Valyn.

Zeta1127 likes this.