main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Invisible Hand's destruction=Best chance to end Palpatine's scheme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    GG ordered the destruction of the flagship Invisible Hand in EP III. If Anakin didn't make it all 3 of them would die. I don't think PT Palpatine could do much against it if the whole ship explode.

I think the movie could show it's Dooku's backup plan, to kill Palpatine if he betrayed him. But the novel said it was all GG's idea so it was wasted.

2. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
  3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well at that time it was already a hard situation, even if Windu killed Palpatine, they got a lot of political mass to clean, not to say Palpatine might be playing with Windu to lure Anakin to the Darkness.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sidious would have ordered Grievous not to destroy The Invisible Hand with Palpatine on it.

As far as Mace, if he had killed Palpatine, the Senators (the ones who were cheering when Palpatine declared himself Emperor) would have viewed it as a coup to overthrow the Republic. The news story would have been that "a senior member of the Jedi Council assassinated the Chancellor in his office" and the people would have turned on the Jedi anyway.

Obviously the outcome would have been better than what they got, but they would have had quite a job rebuilding public trust. Not to say it couldn't be done, I think it eventually could, but I could see the Senate going as far as to disband and outlaw the Order, forcing them into secret cells--much like what we got with the Rebellion.

There was no "happily ever after" ending for the Jedi by the time ROTS happened, only options that were less sad than canon.

leehashbrown likes this.
  5. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He already did destroy the ship. Sidious was Palpatine before Anakin and Obi Wan, he could not make order to GG at that time.

6. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He could have previously given orders regarding the situation.

7. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He didn't know it, otherwise I don't think he would take such risk.

8. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    In what way did he not know the situation?

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Why would he take such a risk? It totally depend on Anakin's skill and he barely made it.

10. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    He's arrogant?

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't see such arrogance from prequel Palpatine, at least before he gave Order 66.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I did. Maybe not to the level of ROTJ Palpatine but he was definitely arrogant.

13. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012
    You also have to keep in mind that, yes, Palps was arrogant, but he probably was pretty modest at the time of being Chancellor cause he knew he wasn't the big hot shot...yet.

Once Palps became Emperor, he became very very very arrogant. Just look at the Battle of Endor. He was like 100% sure the Empire would win.

And look at the scene with Palps vs the Yoder. Palps is like "Your arrogance blinds you." He was knowledgeable about what arrogance could do. In fact, he might have gotten that by seeing how his master Plageious was so arrogant that he didn't see his demise.....

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    That destruction incident was not going to do him much good and was really risky.

15. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    you didn't see much arrogance from the PT chancellor?

lets see

"I will be Chancellor"

"you have been well trained my young apprentice" who trained him? oh the man who is speaking to him..

"now they will ellect a new Chancellor, a strong chancellor, one who will not let our tragedy continue"

"everything is going as planned!"

"you're no match for him he's a sith lord"

etc

16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Some of them are his tricks to let people support him, and what should he say to Maul? "You are not well trained?" Also Maul was trained by Sidious' droid mostly.

But he's not arrogant enough to risk his life for not much gain, what did he get from that incident? Anakin's arrogance increased a bit more? That's not a big deal compare to his life.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    the quotes I quoted were examples of him being arrogant,

well you don't hear Obi-wan say to Anakin "you know what, I trained you great didn't I?" Obi-Wan gave Anakin ALL the praise when he got them to safety, it was never because "well I taught you great, it was all me"

Sidious' droid trained Maul? (remind me again why i dOn't read EU..)

18. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Well he didn't say it was all him, nothing too wrong with that word.

19. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    I think they would have been fine with security footage of the fight and the fact that the Supreme Chancellor managed to single handedly kill 3 Jedi masters in seconds would back up their stance that he "was too dangerous to be left alive"

ILNP likes this.
  20. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    I have to agree with FatSmel. The Senate seemed pretty toothless so I don't see them disbanding and outlawing the Jedi Order. While some of the Senators who fall into the category of corrupt would be furious that the Jedi were taking over, not everyone who cheered for Palpatine declaring himself Emperor were corrupt and would have been affected by the Jedi takeover.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Grievous: "I have been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku!"
    Obi-Wan: "I trained the man that killed him."

22. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    wasn't in the finished script:

doesn't count

Madhatter//AKA Sistros

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But the problem is:

If the Jedi could kill the current chancellor without judgment through the Court or the Senate, how to make sure they won't do it again in the future?

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not really a problem when there's proof the dude's a traitor.

ILNP likes this.
  25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    What proof? In the movie all we have is Anakin's words before they went to arrest Palpatine, Palpatine never said he was Sidious, and the Court never saw the proof.

It's not about Palpatine is a traitor or not, it's about the Jedi could arrest the chancellor without the permission of the Court/Senate and execute him without permission as well, so how are the rest of the Senate going to prevent it?