main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do not assume anything...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Suicide is a harsh subject, my friend. But just so you know, I was joking too. I like my humor bone-dry. Perhaps including one of these may have made that clearer: ;)

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I gave up on my theory because the more I learned about the EU the less likely it seemed that it could exist within history of the ST without the massive events such as the Vong war imposing upon it, but as I said I still don't know much about these stories and Crucible still hasn't been published, so I suppose it is still within the realm of possibility that we could be in for a massive pre-retcon so to speak. One thing I will say, however is that even if 7-9 take place within that gap, I don't thing 10-12 will occur until much later in the timeline. Lucas said explicitly that 7-9 are the end of the trilogy (of trilogies presumably... I don't see any other way to interpret his wording), so if they really working on 10-12 already as well (and I believe they are), then the chances are good that they will be more removed from the other movies... which is also exactly what that MarketSaw report said.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    No, I doubt Chewbacca living will be the only thing that renders the EU obsolete. I expect lots of changes to the EU. And I foresee Chewbacca carrying on longer than the Big 3. Perhaps after Han dies, if he does, he would become the guardian of the Solo kids.

4. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    And as for Fisher's statement... well that was one of the smaller examples of making assumptions anyway. THR confirmed her involvement along with Hamill's, so whether she was joking or not, I am inclined to believe she is involved. The bigger point was that we don't know how large her role will be, and that no one with a huge amount of credibility has said anything at all about Ford's involvement. Some rumors have said he would be in it, and an unnamed source at EW said he would be up for it, but THR left him out of their reporting entirely when they mentioned Hamill and Fisher, so I still wouldn't take it as a given at this point that we'll be seeing a "Big Three" movie, and that even if Ford does end up being involved, his and Fisher's roles could still essentially amount to cameos. I'm not taking it as a given that they won't have large roles either, only saying that despite the "evidence" that they will, we still don't actually know very much.

5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    This is a good point as well. As far as I know, it's fairly certain that when Mayhew signed on for Episode III, he also signed on for more movies beyond that (does anybody have a source for the btw?), and if they do get the Big Three back in significant roles, I highly doubt that Chewbacca won't be among them.

JainaSoloYJK and Echo-07 like this.
  6. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    It almost certainly won't just be Chewie that causes some EU rewrites... but I'm pretty sure he'll be there which will just be strike one. Strike two will probably be the the existence of a Galactic Republic... no GFFA. Then there will be the Solo kids, their ages (20? 30? 10?), any Skywalker kids... I mean, I know Ben Skywalker is really a relatively minor part of the EU (He's an active character for which books exactly?), the question of who is any Skywalker kid's mother (Mara Jade dead or alive, who knows? Is it even her?), the general state of the galaxy... Where is the Jedi Academy, if there is one? What about new characters (Nomi Starkiller perhaps?), and so forth?

Now I do have theories, but lets face it, they're all based on assumptions... everything we talk about here is based on assumptions, so... lets just go with the flow guys.

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Awesome memory, MR! I am so glad you brought this up. Back when I re-registered here in November I brought this up, I think in a thread about returning characters. I do recall that he did sign on for multiple movies. I tried to Google articles from about 2005 but didn't find any that mentioned that.

I remember this because at the time the forums speculated about what that meant. There was also alot of speculation because I think around that time 2004/05 Hasbro had their toy license renewed for like 15 years or something (I think it expires in 2020.) Even then it was speculated that they could have the license because of new movies.

People can debate if she was joking or not all day long, til the cows come home or they're blue in the face. Take your pick. LOL IMO The more telling fact about that "incident" was the fact that her people had to make a retraction. They'd onlu do that if there was truth to it and she had signed an NDA which forbade her from talking about it. He excuse for bypassing the NDA was that she, "Thought it was common knowledge." That doesn't sound like a joke to me.

8. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's exactly what I took from it as well, but I didn't see it myself and besides it's really a moot point.

For the record, I'm don't mean that people shouldn't base theories on assumptions. That's impossible not to do. What I meant was that we shouldn't take for granted that our assumptions are true and develop solid expectations based on those assumptions. Big difference there, so maybe in that respect the title of the thread is a bit misleading.

Rogue_1138 likes this.
  9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    This has been on Wook page for the sequel trilogy for a long while:
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sequel_trilogy

10. Rogue_1138

Rogue_1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    I strongly agree with your approach to expectations. Right now, I like the post-Crucible theory, but I'll be the first to move on when contradicting information (inevitably) comes out.

11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

I doubt there ever was a 12-movie episodical saga. From the old interview quotes, Lucas claimed to have ideas for a trilogy of trilogies, and then ideas for some other movies that didn't have anything with the main storyline but were set in the same universe:

" I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_sequel_trilogy

So no 12-movie saga. This also seems to be expressed during the youtube video interviews posted on the official site, with Kathleen Kennedy: he claims to have treatments for 7, 8, and 9, and then some other stories. Those other stories take place in the SWU, but aren't part of the 9-episode saga, I take it.

(Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I'm only skimming this thread at this point.)

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I've discussed this at a bit of length. When the announcement about the ST was made, Lucas did say that Episodes VII-IX were the end of the trilogy (clearly referring to the trilogy of trilogies idea that he's been talking about for ages). What I think is that they're working on two trilogies now, and that the ST is the end of the 9-part story while the next trilogy after that will be more like a sequel of sorts to that story.

13. agentkrycek

agentkrycek Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 4, 2012
    Except Aurra Sing was created for the prequels and Quinlan Vos was a nameless extra that was later given an EU backstory. Neither of them were pre existing EU characters that were brought into the films.

14. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yep. And even though Vos was given a mention in ROTS (and almost a cameo as well), Aayla's role never amounted to more than a cameo either (and yes she's most certainly dead). Lucas isn't above throwing EU fans a bone once in a while, but only a small one, and he would never for instance use those characters' EU backstories in any way that was important to his movies. I think it's a little different on something like TCW, because there's a lot more room to explore secondary characters when you aren't telling a single specific story with such limited screen time in which to get so many important ideas across... but even in TCW, they utilize things from the EU while also taking them along (sometimes drastically) different paths than the EU did.

15. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    There were rumors that they were going to slip Mara Jade into Jabba's palace in the special edition... some say they even had a costume made for her and so forth but it never materialized. Is there influence going both directions between the movies and the EU? Yes. Is it mostly one way in the PT? Yes (Movies inspiring EU). Does this mean it'll stay that way in the ST? No idea but it'll likely be more two way then the others.

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Maybe you're right. With Lucas taking more of a backseat role, I'd say there's at least more of a chance of that being the case than there would be if he was heading up the ST himself.

17. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    The likeliest bits to be incorporated are elements of the Thrawn Trilogy... Lets see, in those three books alone we get some big elements, one of which was already adapted by GL after an argument. Canvasing the whole EU and previous... we can guess what may or may not appear.

*Already Adapted by GL*
    • Imperial Center's name is Coruscant (GL was going to go with Had Abbadon... which while a cool name doesn't really fit a city planet to me)
    *Likely to be Adapted*
    • Han and Leia have twins named Jacen and Jaina Solo
    • Ben Skywalker (your mileage may vary)
    *50/50 Chance of Appearing*
    • Mara Jade Skywalker
    • Corran Horn (I almost wonder if the likelihood goes up with a Mr. Horn running Disney)
    • Other members of the EU New Jedi Order (Kyle, Cighal, Saba, Kyp...)
    *Unlikely to be Adapted*
    • The Yuuzhan Vong...
    • The Galactic Federation of Free Alliances...
    • The Second Galactic Civil War...
    • "Sword of the Jedi"
    • Chewie's Death...
    • Jacen's Fall...
    *Never Used in a Million Years*
    • Lumiya
    • Aboleth
    • The One Sith
    • The Lost Tribe
    *Names and Other Material From Old Drafts that will Probably be Recycled*
    • Nomi Starkiller
    • Had Abbadon

18. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    Yeah, *sigh* you're right about all that. As for Aayla, I liked her, and it was just wishful thinking on my part.

19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    As much as I'd like to just wipe the EU slate clean, and don't really care for the names Jacen and Jaina... I have to admit that if there's one thing from the EU that's likely to be used it's this.

According to Zahn, he was "briefed" on Lucas' plans for sequels years ago and how the Thrawn books would fit in. "The original idea as I understood it- and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he's thinking right now - but it was going to be three generations," said Zahn to Entertainment Weekly.
    "You'd have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke's father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke's children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap," the author said.

20. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    12 Episodes or not,I really just hope this new Trilogy is about new characters with The OT characters in the background and very limited.Cause let's be honest The OT Actors are now in there 60s & 70s and to have them as the main characters on a space adventure would be bad.We have already seen that and we already know there story.I just hope they can fit all The EU stuff in there and maybe play it like The Dark Knight Rises did with The Joker,just don't bring it up,it is what it is and hopefully it can all work.

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I totally agree. Odds are that Luke will have a larger role than the others, but none of them will be the primary focus of this trilogy.

The problem with this is that too much has changed in the galaxy and the lives of the characters to be able to keep intact without being addressed head on. I know I sure don't want to see that much exposition in a Star Wars movie and I also know Lucas hates that kind of thing as well. The point where the ST begins should be a natural extension of where ROTJ ends. All that other stuff will only serve to confuse audiences.

22. Doug625

Doug625 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 9, 2012
    My guess would be if it set roughly 100 years after episode 6, it would most likely be at least episode 11 or 12 or even later

23. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    It's pretty clear Luke and Leia will be in them, and there is a 90% chance it will be set 50 years after episode VI.They have to make the movies in a time period so we can see the big 3.
    That will also make sense in a $ perspective.Thats what the fans want.They know starting a whole new saga with little to no ties to the old characters wouls upset the fans for the most part.
    I mean we all want to see grandmaster Luke take on 50 sith lords and winn before he becomes one with the force.It's about time they show us what a Skywalker can do in his/her prime.

24. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I think the biggest indication on that Wook page is that EP7 takes place 45ABY & that Mark Hamill will get the first crack at Luke Skywalker if he's old enough now it seems to me all the pieces are fitting perfectly....it does seem clear the Chewbacca will return so there will be EU rewrites but lets hope alot will stay intact . I think we shold stop talking about this 100ABY crap there's no way EP7 will be set then - I say it's a 99 % chance EP7 will be set 45-50ABYwith the Big 3 in with Chewbacca...I think the biggest question now is who the next generation will be...some or part of the EU will probably be used .

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I stopped saying Episode VII would be a hundred years off a while ago, however I do think there's a distinct possibility that Episode X will take place even further out than that.