main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Center of galactic civilization, the seat of the Republic and then the Empire.... massive citadel structures dotting the surface. All came from the Thrawn Trilogy. Pretty much the only differences between EU Coruscant and Film Coruscant is the planet wide cityscape, which is really only an exaggeration of Zahn's original concept for Imperial Center and the Imperial Palace. Hell, in the book Wedge's Gamble, released 1996 (Before the Special Editions mind you), it was already converted into the Ecumenopolis we all know.

2. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    > First appearance: Thrawn Trilogy
    > Not an EU concept

[​IMG]

Darth_Zandalor likes this.
  3. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The concept you're describing dates back to drafts for Return of the Jedi--the city planet and Imperial Capital Had Abbadon. Indeed, Lucas referenced the "city planet" in his story meetings with Leigh Brackett in '78. So again, Coruscant is not an EU concept, even if the name itself originated with Zahn.

kainee likes this.
  4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Thank you for reminding everyone because it needed to be stated. The concept of Had Abbadon also shows up in the beginning of the script for Revenge of the Jedi, revised rough draft, dated June 12, 1981:

http://starwarz.com/starkiller/2010/03/revenge-of-the-jedi-revised-rough-draft/

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  5. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Who cares. It still uses the name rather then disregarding it and your point is moot

Ironically Had Abbadon appeared in the Eu

6. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Well, that's a devastating argument. I guess all those years of high school debating really paid off.

BonhillBhoy likes this.
  7. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    More like not giving a **** about being polite to people who like to distort facts to prove their point

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Would you propose instead that no one attempt to theorize about a new Star Wars movie, which we have very little information on, in a forum dedicated to such discussions?

9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    There's other threads for that. This thread appears to be where some people wonder about how EU might be incorporated into the new trilogy while a chorus of people shout about how anything discussed here should be burned down.

Esg likes this.
  10. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Yes it's called recycling a concept. Your beloved EU is open to that for the sequels much like the original drafts, hmm? Of course what gets used won't be whole cloth, and might not even resemble what you recognize (the Had Abbadon concept used in the EU is a good example). Of course you might find that horrifying. Because it's not enough for the EU cult to have some of their concepts show up in some form in the new films. It has to be 100% what you recognize or nothing at all.

Remember that your EU writers were playing in someone else's universe. They aren't the makers of that universe.

11. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Oh that argument again.

Esg likes this.
  12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yes, that old chestnut about how tie-in media is a licensed product that is written as a paid gig and owned by the owner of the actual property (i.e. the fictional universe). You know, the argument that concepts from tie-in media may be loosely adapted for use in primary media (i.e. films or TV shows) but there is little chance that continuity with the tie-ins will be respected.

It's the argument that is actually supported by both the facts and history. Reality seems to have an anti-EU bias.

kainee and Mystery_Roach like this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    There was barely much of the planet used but a a site of an antagonists base so not much would be overwritten so i couldn't give less then a ****. IN4 more jabronis claim Legacy is an alternative universe along with other retarded speculation

14. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Right, and nothing in the Halo novels ever had an impact on any of the games, because they weren't part of Bungie's artistic vision. Of course.

In fact, I think that Microsoft actually does a much better job of handling EU incorporation than Lucas does. They are there for people who want to learn more but are not vital to understand the plot of the games. However, the games themselves treat the EU around them with respect, giving nods here and there and incorporating elements into the games, sometimes with vital plot points.

It's a mutual respect. I guess that Bungie, Microsoft and 343 were all fighting reality, if your analogy were to work.

I don't see why people take such hardline stances against the EU.

Esg likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Because movie purists

16. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Obi Rob?

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I also see they just read summaries off of something and pass judgement on it rather then reading the actual books in question and see how it's executed and say "Oh this idea is stupid" rather then reading the book and seeing it's impact and execution within the story. Case in point the NJO getting bashed

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh good God this is getting worse than the 2003-04 era of the Senate Forums.
    EU is the gasoline while the rabid fanboys are the sparks.

kainee and Han Shot First like this.
  19. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Show me the rabid fanboys and watch the accused deny it. (Myself included)

20. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I'm not even talking about how good/bad the EU is. I personally like Stover and will read Shadows of Mindor when I get the spare cash; I've also enjoyed the comics I've read. But that doesn't change the fact that writing a new film that has built-in mass appeal while also respecting the EU canon is not only an impossible task but also creatively frustrating--it's not going to happen.

That's just the way it is.

kainee likes this.
  21. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    But does it have to be that way? This whole thread is dealing with speculation, so why not let us have our fun discussing things? Besides, EU elements have been incorporated into the films and into The Clone Wars, albeit in adaptation rather than direct porting. And the EU has adapted in turn to help support these changes. So while I agree that it is in no way feasible to make a Thrawn adaptation or the Vong, a passing reference or two, or an adapted name or character isn't off the table.

Esg likes this.
  22. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    I don't disagree. But when I said earlier that they may be researching the EU in order mine concepts (to then be adapted), Esg replied that I was "wrong" because Google could be used to achieve the same thing. The main discussion happening here, AFAICT, is how literal the adaptation of concepts from EU to the screen will be.

23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not inclined to think that any of the later EU (NJO etc.) will factor into the ST, however I'm still reading the Thrawn trilogy (pretty slowly so far, it's only barely holding my interest) and I'm trying to determine what the chances are that it will remain untouched. Zahn was asked about the ST recently and this is what he had to say...

According to Zahn, he was "briefed" on Lucas' plans for sequels years ago and how the Thrawn books would fit in. "The original idea as I understood it- and Lucas changes his mind off and on, so it may not be what he's thinking right now - but it was going to be three generations," said Zahn to Entertainment Weekly.
    "You'd have the original trilogy, then go back to Luke's father and find out what happened to him [in the prequels], and if there was another 7th, 8th, or 9th film, it would be Luke's children. The Thrawn Trilogy really would have fit into the gap," the author said.

This would make it seem to me that, at the very least, the twins will be utilized in some capacity (though if they are, I would anticipate a complete re-write of their characters). The one thing that puzzles me is how Lucas has said that in his mind Luke never got married. I know Luke and Mara were actually married later in the Union comic, but I'm curious about the state of their relationship at the end of the Thrawn trilogy. I don't want to know too much about what will happen in these books (still on HttE), but I don't mind knowing that. I'm assuming that within the trilogy their relationship goes from adversarial to... something else?

kainee likes this.
  24. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Let's just say trying to explain Mara's relationship to Luke in the ST would be complicated at best, especially with the outcomes. A throwaway line or two wouldn't do it justice ;).

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That's pretty much what I figured. It's things like that which make me think they're better off just starting from scratch with nothing but the end of ROTJ from which to proceed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.