main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena The NBA Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by KnightWriter, Nov 16, 2006.

?

Which team is the favorite to win the title?

1. Boston Celtics

10.0%
  2. Cleveland Cavaliers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Dallas Mavericks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Denver Nuggets

40.0%
  5. Los Angeles Lakers

5.0%
  6. Miami Heat

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Milwaukee Bucks

40.0%
  8. Phoenix Suns

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other

5.0%
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yay for assuming they were going to be good immediately.

2. Trask Ulgo

Trask Ulgo Jedi Padawan star 3

Dec 8, 2012
    I'm a Sixers fan myself. I'm not the type of fan who really brags, it's hard to do with this team as well,but can't wait for some fun discussions.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Being a good team would be a step up currently for these Lakers.

4. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the only reason the heat were "good" instantly was because of the kind of players lebron, wade and bosh are. athletic and run the floor. that can fit together pretty easily, if not necessarily well. when you have kobe and nash as runners, and then gasol and howard as... plodders/post up people, that takes a LOT more effort to make work. hence the growing pains. and i don't think gasol and howard are even remotely the best fits for the run 'em ragged offense. just my 2 cents.

5. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    howard isn't a plodder or a post up person. and you didn't even mention that nash has only played 2 games (none under d'antoni obviously), which makes me think you haven't really been paying very close attention.

6. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so howard gets out on fast breaks like wade and james? consistently? there are two people that are much more suited to a set offense in howard and gasol, and that isn't what d'antoni runs. nash would help, but he won't fix things instantly either. it just isn't a team designed for the seven seconds or less thing that d'antoni likes.

7. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i basically agree with you, and thought d'antoni was a terrible choice, but yeah howard gets up and down the floor pretty well. you watch him play before? wade and james are two of the fastest players in the league, so no he's not quite as quick as them. but your original characterization of him as a "plodder" just isn't accurate.

8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    compared to guards and small forwards, he kinda is a bit of a plodder. for a center he's fast. it's all about what you're comparing.

but overall we agree, the pieces don't fit the system,.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the weird thing is it sounded like they could have had phil back. it's like the front office doesn't understand their roster at all. i think they would have won the title with phil.

10. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Can't have the Lakers in the lottery this year. The Cavs can get their pick as long as it isn't top-14. Need the Lakers to be just good enough to squeak into the playoffs and get us the highest pick possible.

11. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Tony Parker records his first career triple-double in a thrilling overtime win over the Rockets. Congratulations!

12. LloydChristmas

LloydChristmas Baseball and Three-Time Jedi Draft Champion star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 3, 2012
    Great, so the reason the Lakers are sucking is because God hates Cleveland.

Good luck with that one, Tunick.

13. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Trimaj: I didn't expect this team to be world beaters right off of the gate (especially after Nash's injury), nor was I ready to hand them the conference, but a lot of their play over the last month is just plain ridiculous & bad to watch, especially when they're on the road. They've got to respect more of their opponents (a big reason I think why they lost to Orlando 2 Sunday's ago for instance), tamp down on their opponents having huge scoring quarters (OKC had 41 in the 2nd this past Friday, and Utah scored 35 in the 2nd quarter last night), and their free throw shooting has to improve. Though D'Antoni has said Gasol will start when he returns, I don't see the harm in having coming off the bench, just to see if it works (and it wasn't like Gasol was playing like a MVP before the tendinitis anyway). Issues will obviously still remain when Nash returns (defense, the lack of depth on this team), but at least the offense will run more consistently competent when he's on the court.

tom: Maybe, but how much of the triangle (which doesn't put a focus on the point guard) would Jackson* have been willing to bend in order to fit Nash? And could have saved Gasol's basketball playing soul? Who knows. :p

DarthIntegral, LloydChristmas: I'd imagine the Lakers will end up somewhere between the 4th-6th seed, maybe the 7th.

*I noticed 2 fans (sitting in the first row behind the scorer's table) wearing "We Want Phil" t-shirts) during the telecast last night.

14. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    From Marc Stein's Power Rankings for this past NBA week. :

The Lakers haven't crossed the 20-game mark with a record this far below .500 since Shaq-and-Kobe-and-Co. started 8-13 in 2002-03 ... after L.A.'s three-peat. The panic, though, runs far deeper this time, because this star-laden construction has so many flaws and hasn't proved anything yet.

I wouldn't totally agree with his assessment that the panic is deeper this time if only because that '02-'03 squad were the defending three-time champs, which made the start to that season incredibly annoying to watch.

15. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    More bothersome, yes, but if you held a gun to somebody's head that year and asked them if they thought the Lakers would make it at least to, say, the Western Conference Finals, most people would have said yes, schadenfreude at the Lakers struggles notwithstanding. You knew deep down that they weren't playing to their potential and that they would "flip the switch" when the time came. This time around, it's starting to look as if the sun has simply set on Kobe Bryant & co.

16. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  17. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
  18. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'm just here to lol @ the lakers. how long until they fire d'antoni?

19. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sometime after they get nash back.

20. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  21. Darth Vrook

Darth Vrook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2005
    Great win for the Cavs right now. Kyrie makes all the difference.

22. xblackout

xblackout Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 5, 2008
    GAM OVER WARRIOR

23. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Any word on the head injury Wade had to leave the game with?

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *glares at boards*

25. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    *glares at boards*