main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Clone Wars - Episode 5.11 - A Sunny Day In The Void - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Seerow, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    I want a story.

WOO. WE'RE DROIDS. ON A MISSION! STEAL THIS THING. RUN AWAAAY! OH **** WE'RE CRASHING INTO A BARREN PLANET. THE END IN NIGH.

No.

If they handle Gregor well, that'll be a story. A MIA (AWOL?) RC living in the middle of no where? How did he get there? Why didn't he try to get back? He intrigues me.

A herd of droids and a frog traveling across a boring landscape is just white noise to nap to.

2. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    omg i kno rite? i dun want 2 use mah breinz i want to watch #$!# blow up!

cwustudent and AkashKedavra_93 like this.
  3. IG_2000

IG_2000 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 5, 2008
    No, don't post stuff like that please.

4. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Coric

Coric Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 19, 2011
    But you didn't have to cut me off

[​IMG]

Order66Survivor and TaradosGon like this.
  6. Theo333

Theo333 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2011
    "Show me your warface, astromech!"

(Beep beep?)

"Your warface, you know: AAAAAAAH!"

(TWEEEEEEEEEE!)

7. Orrelios

Orrelios Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 21, 2005
    Again, the episode wasn't too bad and after the review by Seerow, it might warrant a rewatch.

And I'm sure this was the 'low point' of the season, the next half is most likely gonna give the ones who dislike/hate the first half of this four episode arc what they want, more or less.

8. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    I honestly didn't mind this episode, and I've hated the previous droid episodes.

Stuff like this is a nice change of pace over mindless action, or Anakin vs. Dooku round 30.

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Anakin vs Dooku round 30... Nice one.

Yeah, it is more sad than funny when that duel.

In terms of a droids episode, this one is one of the best.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Saying "I kid" and adding a smilie doesn't undo the insult you just dropped on a significant number of users here.

You just said that anyone who didn't like this episode doesn't like it because they don't like using their brains, ie they're stupid.

Seerow how is this acceptable?

This isn't even close to LordMortis' first time saying something like this, yet I've never seen him edited, warned or banned.

Other users have been banned for the same.

I may be wrong (though I'm pretty sure I'm not), but you know what I haven't seen?

People who didn't like this episode call out and insult others who did like this episode.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    How's this? If you guys think this was "deep", you don't know deep. :p

12. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    I'm on pins and needles. Please do not keep me in suspense.

13. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Please use the report function next time CT-867-5309, or pm a mod with your concerns. :)

14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    This episode certainly wasn't as bad as the last one. The environment was cool, some of the ideas presented were neat in a first year of philosophy kind of way (which is how it should be, this is a kids' show). But WAC and Gascon are as annoying as ever. I wish they would both just shut the hell up and let me enjoy the scenery. It would have been neat if Gascon had lost his ability to speak on the planet, mainly to shut him up, but to also show him he doesn't have to shout and give orders all the time to get his point across. Just because he's short doesn't mean he has to yell at everyone. But that would have meant more WAC dialogue.

Why can't these people learn from Wall-E? Robots who don't speak with language but instead with movement are infinitely cooler than annoying speaking ones.

WHAT IS A PIT DROID EVEN DOING HERE???

Seerow likes this.
  15. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I highly doubt the report button works here. Unless the current mods don't even care if certain people get flamed. I have yet to see a trolling post get edited out and it was directed toward me.

16. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    This episode has turned the thread into a war between those who liked vs. disliked.

Even though I thought it was good and interesting I see how some would not be into this.

It will be a challenge to have an in-depth discussion of the episode with folks continually ticking each other off with outlandish comments on either side.

17. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Er, back to the discussion - unless I've missed something, I've heard few touch on the ship/skeletons in any detail yet wonder about how Gregor got on this planet.

I assume he survived this prior crash.

That is all.

18. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    I think its more like people don't use the reported post button because we rarely get any. If you see a problem, please use it. You may also PM them to me. There are members who regularly use that method to report issues to me. We don't discuss bans publicly. Please PM me with your questions.

------------------

Some more observations with this episode.

Gascon was infact suffering accute PG symptoms of heat stroke when he was going bonkers. Behavioral changes, confusion, disorientation, and hallucinations are symptoms (That was no mirage. Mirages are actually not common at all in places like salt flats and the Atacama, or even Death Valley compared to the Namib Desert and Sahara because they are tricks of the light). He was also shown staggering and holding his side. He was definately dieing and doing so alone since the Droids just couldn't relate to him. Its makes him seem far more disturbing than simply being goofy comedy. TCW apparently is not willing to gross out its young viewers with other symptoms like vomiting although I know CN's standards and practicse would have allowed it. I agree with TCW holding back there.

I stand by the droids being unable to relate. I still found it odd QT-KT sounded to be laughing when about to fly off into space. But droids are none the less more importal. R2 was been severely damaged several times in the saga, not to mention R4 and both were rebuilt. Then even if the body is completely blown to smithereens it would be possible to restore from a back up as TODO 360 seems to demonstrate. Can't do that with a living being.

Also a few more homages to watch for. Donald's Ostriche which is a famous Donald Duck short, when the space Emu was rubbing against WAC. That same part has alot of Jurassic Park in but also reminds me of Simba and Nala riding otriches in The Lion King. Lastly the mirage sequence is very similar to sequences in the Donald, Goofy, Mickey short Crazy with Heat. The number of Disney homages is pretty uncanny in this one.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  19. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Nope, I pmed another mod since no one did anything about it. Pretty odd that it past a number of days since the initial report.

20. MandaloreKnight

MandaloreKnight Jedi Youngling

Jan 25, 2010
    Hi guys, I am usually a read-only user but thought I needed to post my thoughts on this episode.
    Maybe most of you disagree but the way this episode made me FEEL as I watched it took me back in time to when I first saw A New Hope. That is something I had never felt since. I've been a fan ever since and what keeps me going is my love for this universe and any "expansion" in form of prequels, games, tv shows, etc, is just a way to expand my knowledge of this universe called Star Wars. And I truly love it. But all this has just been that, an expansion of what i originally saw and FELT.
    Today I watched this episode knowing it was a bad one because of the review and comments and was pleasantly surprised.
    The first part of the epidode (the comets and crash) I saw the kind of star wars ive been watching after ANH... Droids, spaceships, etc... What i learned to love with the years following ANH.
    Then the "Void" began and as I kept watching I began to FEEL just as when i watched ANH. Back then I felt something new, Something that got deep in my mind and made me THINK about me, of who i am, my purpose in life, of the world that surrounds me, the possibility of other planets, the existence of a "galaxy far away" with new technologies and yet placed "a long time ago", a new non-conventional approach of the concepts of good, evil, afterlife and god/destiny in form of this so called "Force". All of this surrounded by a good looking facade of spaceships, droids, lightsabers, etc... Today i FELT this way all over again in a smaller scale... The good looking facade (mandalorians, maul, grievous, duels, even yoda!) had made ME forgotten how I felt so many years ago. And for reminding me this I really loved this episode and truly hope that this approach is taken again in at least some future episodes and even in Episodes 7-9.
    This is the essence of Star Wars for me. And the fact that this show is intended for kids shouldn't keep its creators from doing this kind of things... I was just 9 back then. This things can and will mean something and be remembered much more by todays kids than just showing them facades with no essence.

21. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I just saw this on FB:
    "Did you notice Abafar's distinctively orange sky?
    Here’s how it came to Be:
    When sketching concepts during a creative meeting, Supervising Director Dave Filoni just happened to be using an orange marker. Although unplanned, the orange color made it to final production."
    [​IMG]

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Repeating what was said a few pages back:

What. Did. I. Just. Watch.

Blatantly obvious ANH homage there. Which might have been OK if it weren't so blatantly obvious. How about a bit of originality?

Some reference to Colonel Frog being a map reader again.

Attempted deep conversation about whether droids could think, but it ended up being more yawn-worthy than deep.

Looks like a few Blair Witch Project homages got thrown in as well.

Oh, WAC, just shut up already.

"He should have jumped." Yeah, really, because that would mean he'd stop talking.

Jurassic Park homage there towards the end? OK, seriously?

1/10. And there's one more episode to this arc? :_|

23. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    No comment. So no Trivia gallery but only this!?

24. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    ....and for a moment there I thought you were making that up.

This was my main cause for disappointment with this episode. Droids essentially play the role of slaves in SW, and no one gives it a second thought. Even the EU rarely broaches the subject. I was really hoping they'd take this episode in that direction. Bah.

25. quigonobi3

quigonobi3 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 5, 2012
    this episode reminded me of an old British film called Ice Cold In Alex where a group of soldiers got stranded in the desert during WW2 it also had touches of the film Flight Of The Phoenix as well. As far as liking it well everybody with me it wasnt a non episode but to me it wasnt the way i wanted the series to go into the holiday break come on at holiday time you want a bit of tinsel and sparkle not droids in the desert but i cant wait for the goodies that will come in the new year if iwhen we willget so many n the event of me not posting on the television forum until the new year happy holidays to my fellow posters and see you all in the new year for all the TCW goodness to come-May The Force Be With You All[face_party]:)[:D]

AkashKedavra_93 and Seerow like this.