main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    But he still died in the Comic book, the one that retells the old adventures with variation due to the timeline change.

2. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I used to think that these comics were at the very least semi-canon, seeing as how they're overseen by the writers of the new films, but I have recently heard statements to the contrary. So perhaps we shouldn't put too much trust in them....

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Let me also echo that I like "Monstertution". Thats better than Monsterprise and at least pairable with Enterprise-Nu.

4. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Okay, so: the title. Star Trek Into Darkness makes about as much sense as Road Trip Into the Ocean. There's nothing wrong with using nouns as adjectives (mountain bike, junkyard dog, star trek), but for the love of grammar there has to be some agreement between phrases. Unless it's a black hole which is a collapsed star, I'm not prepared to accept the title as anything but a misguided marketing ploy. I have spoken.

DarthLowBudget likes this.
  5. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Remember this is an alternate universe from the TOS - VOY Trek, so this could easily be an AU Khan who's brethern perhaps died while the Botany Bay was trying to find a home and Khan decides to seek revenge (and against 'normal' humans as a whole rather than just one specific human) a lot earlier than he did in TWOK.

6. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    My only thing against the villain being Gary Mitchell... is can you really have the main bad guy named Gary Mitchell? I mean that is one of the least threatening names ever.

CT-867-5309 and NYCitygurl like this.
  7. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    You've got a good point GenAntilles.

"It's Gaaarrrryyyy on line two, asking if you could squeeze him in for an appointment to kill you?"

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The problem is that the timelines are supposed to be identical before the branching in 2233, so Khan should still look like Montalban or someone of Indian descent rather than a pasty white Brit.

I'm not saying I think it's Mitchell - I'm leaning more toward Garth now that the trailer is out - but if they were to do Mitchell one could argue that would be part of the point: that it's a villain created by a previously good character being altered by the galactic barrier, and that bad guys don't always have to be called Darth Scarygonnagetya.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe Cumberbatch's character is actually named "Star" and at some point at the climax Kirk is fighting him on the moon or something and he then shouts "Hey Star! Trek into darkness!" And then he kicks him into space.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the branching point means that the Botany Bay should be, more or less, as it was found in TOS. Unless Nero's actions have somehow butterfly effected the timing of when it was discovered, the only thing that could change is who discovers it.

If it was discovered earlier due to Nero (different fleet patterns due to his attacks and/or the loss of Vulcan result in it's discovery earlier, etc) then there's room for some kind of Space Seed-like event (or a Seti Alpha V event) to have occurred, but we kind of need something like that for there to be revenge.

But more likely either the Enterprise or another Federation ship will end up finding it sometime during the TOS era and Khan should pop out as he was in Space Seed.

[face_laugh]

11. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Kinda my point.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Spoilers from the first 9 minutes preview

The Enterprise is underwater intentionally to avoid detection/not break Prime Directive ( sigh... that does make any sense- STAY IN ORBIT THEN!) so it probably is the ship rising from the water-it just has nothing to do with the ship crash in the trailer, apparently.

The musical score quotes Khan's theme, but on the native planet chasing Kirk and co, which is also the same planet with the volcano sequence (where Spock gives the "needs of the many" line). However, that musical quote and sequence is AFTER Cumberbatch's introduction in a London hospital, which suggests he is not Khan.

13. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm looking forward to seeing what London looks like in the 23rd century!

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^Grey, damp, and covered in scaffolding is my guess.

15. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    If the hospital isn't St. Bart's, I'm gonna be disappointed. :p

16. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Well that just raises the question, how did they land the damn thing....and why? Because it's cool? I highly suspect it was because it was cool

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I think that's what we suspected all along ;).

18. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Well, I tried.

19. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Paramount might have accidentally leaked the name of Benedict Cumberbatch's character. Don't look in this link if you don't want to know.

20. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    u better not do things that are cool in my science fiction nerd movie

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm betting on more misdirection from Paraborg because otherwise - Huh? Wha?

22. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    maybe cumberpunch's character is really a xenomorph or a predator with a human exterior, which he/it will tear off halfway through the movie. or a chucky!

23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    what about a robochucky? that would be the coolest thing.

24. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    of course, it would be awesome. but it would maybe be too confusing/complicated for the audience. not for you and me, though!

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I suspect that is either misdirection (no way anyone involved with the promotion/marketing of this film is not aware of the villain's name being a big secret) or it is disguised truth: an alias the character utilizes during the course of the film at some point.

Juliet316 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.