main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Do not assume anything...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Mystery Roach, Dec 6, 2012.

1. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Well a generation is usually considered what... 25 years? 45 ABY might be later than the movies start, the Solos would be 35 years old at that point.

Carrie and Mark average out at around 60 for filming the next movies, so simple math says 40 ABY... Which still gives us 30 year old Solo twins, and a 13 year old Ben Skywalker. That sounds reasonable to me... but then they could move the ages around too... we just don't know enough.

45 ABY only makes real sense for the fans that are hoping Lucas doesn't retcon major parts of the EU, which is something I don't see him caring about really.

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    This seems like a pretty solid estimate, however if the EU isn't a consideration for Lucas (which I tend to agree that it isn't) then I can't see Ben being involved. It just raises too many unnecessary questions for the average viewer. Solo twins make sense because we've seen Han and Leia's romance on the screen, but Luke is another matter entirely. And as popular as Mara Jade is among fans, there are a number of reasons why I think it's pretty likely that she'll be written out of history.

3. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    Well, using Ben (a female Skywalker kid is also a possibility floating around) and/or Mara isn't that difficult if there's a significant age gap between the Solo twins and Ben (Which there probably would be... it's 17 years in the EU but I could see them scale it back to 10-12 years or so easily)... You've also got to weigh the value of the Skywalker name in the equation as well. Star Wars is about the Skywalker family and father - son relationships, if there's no Skywalker kid it's hard to do 7-9 and expect it to be as well embraced.

Mara's popularity is shockingly high if you do a bit of research, she's usually ranked somewhere between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan in terms of popularity... of course that's not top 10 but still respectable (17th or something), and Mara / Luke shippers seem to make a sizable portion of the female fanbase online. Zahn has a better chance of having his creations incorporated then most, that's for sure... As for GL's treatment for 7-9... I almost wonder if it was his original draft notes with background info. Things get changed all the time in the movie making process so even if we saw the actual treatment from Arndt or GL I doubt we could make that many assumptions about the story.

Echo-07 likes this.
  4. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think a young, male Skywalker is almost assured simply for the fact that the Skywalker saga must continue with the next generation of Skywlakers. I absolutely agree. It's one of the "must" things about SW.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I do agree that the name Skywalker is important. I've racked my brain trying to figure out if there could be some reason that Leia's kids might be called Skywalker, and I think it could work but it would be a stretch for sure. I still think it will be weird if Luke was suddenly married, and downright bizarre if his wife had been killed by Leia's son. I'm positive that last part won't happen anyway.

6. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I don't see how Leia could ever have children named Skywalker since she never used the name herself. It'd be weird. The only way is through Luke, even if that means he has to be married with children. LOL Which is an idea I was not fond of initially, but have grown to accept.

7. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I'm still having trouble with that one. I do think it's conceivable that Leia could have changed her name after ROTJ though.

8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I don't think the name is important at all, the Skywalker Saga can continue on without it.

If Leia has kids, they're Skywalkers, regardless of their last name. They're still descended from Anakin.

While I'm at it, I don't think it's necessary to continue the Skywalker Saga at all.

*Just my opinion.*

9. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Remember Joseph Campbells work on the Heroes Journy is a big influence (maybe the biggest single) on Star Wars. Part of that concept is the discovery of a destiny and meeting a mentor. Anakin didn't know he could be a Jedi until he met Qui-Gon Ginn. Luke didn't know he could be a Jedi until he met up with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Luke having a son removes that element of the story since his child would be expected and know from birth to be a Jedi and live up to his fathers legacy etc... To maintain that kind myth and heroes journy story that Star Wars is, I think they will most likely go in one of two ways.

1) Have Luke find and teaching a character who is not a Skywalker. Introduce the name Starkiller or something and move hte focus of the story from the Skywalkers to someone new

2) Have Luke have a son but he rejected hte idea of being a Jedi and his destiny. At some point Luke is killed and that is the call to adventure that his son needs. Another student of Lukes either finds his son or his son finds him and hte story continues from there.

Rogue_1138 likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I always thought that in the later movies Earth would be involved somehow. I don't know why. Maybe wishful thinking?

11. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Well since StarWars.com is calling Episodes I-VI The Skywalker Saga, and Lucas said the ST would be the end of the Trilogy, I guess that has to mean it isn't over yet.

12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    That could work. I do agree that whoever the next generation is will need something to start them on their path, rather than being on it from birth.

13. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Agreed. Not only will it raise the profile ($$$), it would have some built in charm, as we will get to see the most beloved characters from the series again. Plus, it is more feasible to bring them back than the PT characters who are all dead (more of a stretch to go into force ghosts).

I think they would only go the direction of NOT having the big 3 if they are unable to get them to play their roles again. Harrison will be the hardest to get; I think they will have to have a good script and he will have to like what they do with his character (he already is a marquee actor outside of SW, which you can't really say about the others).

That would just be WAY too epic and popular to have the Millenium Falcon battling with Chewie and Han, Luke as a Master Jedi, and Leia as a statesmanlike leader. They are going to pass that up by choice? I seriously doubt it.

14. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Option 1 could work just as well too. If they do a good job of introducing a new character they don't NEED to be a Skywalker for hte story to work.

15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    They do if it's The Skywalker Saga.

16. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Its not called the Skywalker Saga. Its called Star Wars.

They could have the new main character be a Skywalker and continue on that way, they could go in a different direction in a way to seperate the original 6 and the new material. Both work just fine.

The title of the thread is "Don't assume anything", I wouldn't assume that moving forward the series will be about Skywalkers. It might be, it might not be.

17. stellarmagic01

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the original conception of Ben in the EU had him doing that... cutting himself off from the force and so forth. But I think it's possible that we'll see a bit more divergence from the Campbell influence then before... especially when it sounds like the original drafted idea seemed to be for Luke to find his sister Nomi in VII - IX and confront the emperor in IX. He also mentioned in interviews then that Luke would have a love interest we 'haven't met yet' during the 80s...

Of course the way my brain works I've sort of come out with a sort of formula for the new 'Trio' if you were since each film seems to have a patterned trio in place. When they shifted Leia into the role of the sister, it seemed natural to me that Lucas would have then moved Nomi Starkiller into the Romantic Interest in his drafts... now when he came back years later however with a 60 year old Luke Skywalker I think he'll shift Luke's role in his original rough outline for 7-9 into either a Solo Twin or Luke's son... I actually think the Solo Twin more likely, in the role of the teacher/mentor/lancer that Luke would have probably had in the earlier drafts. If you reverse the genders along with the roles of Luke and Nomi you end up with basically... Jaina and Ben.

And Nomi Starkiller as the romantic interest?

Of course everyone I said is based on assumptions and guess work but hey... at this point that's par for the course. XD

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    But that isn't an assumption. That's how Episodes I-VI are being referred to on StarWars.com, and Lucas said the ST is the end of that Trilogy, so I think you can safely determine that The Skywalker Saga will be comprised of Episodes I-IX.

Pro Scoundrel and Echo-07 like this.
  19. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    You may just be on to something there.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

But I'm saying is that--if you go by the old quotes--it's very unlikely that the other episodes area sequel of any sorts. They're likely just spinoff movies. From the wiki article I linked to:

"So, I took the screenplay and divided it into three stories, and rewrote the first one. As I was writing, I came up with some ideas for a film about robots, with no humans in it. When I got to working on the Wookiee, I thought of a film just about Wookiees, nothing else. So, for a time, I had a couple of odd movies with just those characters. Then, I had the other two films, which were essentially split into three parts each, two trilogies. When the smoke cleared, I said, 'This is really great. I'll do another trilogy that takes place after this.' I had three trilogies of nine films, and then another couple of odd films. Essentially, there were twelve films." He then added that he had "eliminated the odd movies, because they really don't have anything to do with the Star Wars saga. ... I'm just going to keep it pure. It's a nine-part saga that has a beginning, a middle and an end. It progresses over a period of about fifty or sixty years with about twenty years between trilogies, each trilogy taking about six or seven years."

21. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    From everything I've read, it could go either way. Just take a look at my other thread, Two trilogies already in the works?, where I have that info laid out with sources. My conclusion may be faulty, but there's still a good possibility that there could be another trilogy which would be a continuation in a sense, yet be a different story from the 9-part Skywalker Saga.

22. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    It might, it might not. But it doesn't HAVE to be a Skywalker. Luke could die in Episode IX, at which point it gets passed off the non-skywalker character.

23. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Except that there are multiple reports indicating that the Skywalker Saga could continue beyond Episode IX, despite the fact that Episodes I-IX will definitely tell a complete story.

24. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Honestly, I haven't seen anyone but you mention the Skywalker Saga. You have a link to any of these reports?

25. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    The links are in that first post on the other thread, and one of them was The Hollywood Reporter. And then there's the official site which has that video referring to the movies as such.

Edit: THR referring to Kasdan and Kinberg..."Their scripts could turn into official “Episodes” in the main Skywalker storyline, or they could form the basis for spinoffs focusing on side characters."

And then this from MarketSaw (time will tell about the reliability of this one, but it feels solid to me)..."There are two trilogies planned, all following an original overview by Lucas, which
    was always planned as a multi generational saga. Movies 10 - 12 are from my understanding
    about the offspring of the Skywalkers, set many years later with the surviving cast playing much older versions of themselves and featuring a female protagonist named Skywalker."

It can be noted however, that they changed the name of the video on the official site from "The Skywalker Saga" to "The Rise, Fall and Redemption of Anakin Skywalker." My guess is that this was done to avoid confusion from people who thought it meant that the first six movies would make up the entirety of the Skywalker Saga.