main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation If this is Episode VII-IX - it MUST feature the old cast

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by clone3131, Dec 10, 2012.

1. clone3131

clone3131 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Strictly speaking from being an author and from a story-telling environment, it would be HORRIBLE and impossible to follow a story that claims to be the next set of chapters in a story, and introduce all new characters and then have no rhyme or reason to what is going on to the previous chapters.

With this in mind, Episode VII-IX must contain the OT cast to some degree. Especially VII. Unless you open with a bunch of CGI flashbacks to what happened or some sort of montage of what happened over the past 30/40/50/100 years. But, that would just be horrible.

There is no way, strictly from a story telling prospective, you can just jump ahead 100 years and expect the audience to understand and accept that.

Imagine reading a book, that ends with the hero blowing up the death star, everything is great. Then the next chapter is 100 years ahead and you never hear of the characters that got you this far in the story. It makes no sense.

AND, if you did jump ahead 100/1000 years, you would just start a new story.

STAR WARS NEW JEDI ORDER
    Episode I: New Things to Make Movies About.

The fact that this is going to be Episode VII, and a continuing of a six part story that is already told, you must feature Luke, Han, Leah, Chewie, the droids, and the continuing of a story already told.

Otherwise, you would just start another Trilogy. Hey all, Lucas sold the rights to Star Wars to Disney and Disney is going to produce a brand new exicting trilogy with all new characters from the Star Wars World!

Personally, I think they should have done that. But, Since this is Episode SEVEN it will feature stories of the OT cast. Bank on it.

-C

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We've arrived at version 1138.2 of this topic already...? We are movin' fast!

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    We need over 9,000 threads regarding this topic to reach full internets.

4. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004
    The other threads are not about how strictly from a story telling point of view that Ep VII - IX are going to be about the OT Cast.

Those threads are about how we would like to see the OT cast.

-C

5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Uh-oh, is this one my fault too? There's a pretty big difference between 100 and 1000 years, but I think you can relax because either one is highly unlikely. The ST will almost certainly feature the original cast, though to what degree remains unknown.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    No they need to make the ST that is exactly 658 years after the OT! No more no less or I'll be very angry :mad:

7. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

Not from a story telling prospective. You just cant jump ahead 100 years in a story, have all the characters your reader has been reading about be dead and have a whole new cast.

But, yes, it is likely that the OT will be back, but I think everyone has them in minor roles. It needs to be more, especially in EP VII if the story is going to make any sense, as a WHOLE, from EP I-IX.

-C

8. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There is a 3720 to 1 chance that you be anything but very angry.

Echo-07 likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Aw man I was looking for a 2458 to 1 chance. Dammit.

10. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Sorry. I thought you were going to tell me about how I should not tell you about odds or something like that.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    That would be too obvious but if you really want me to:
    NEVER TELL ME THE ODDS

Bazinga'd likes this.
  12. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    It makes sense. We've been waiting for 30 years to see Luke as a bad*** Jedi Master. For TPTB to suddenly announce a ST and not have the big 3 appear in it, it would be a huge disappointment. Due to the age of the big 3 that handicaps TPTB in a small way, because it forces them to make the ST begin at least 30 years beyond RotJ and they will be unable to completely explain the passage of 30 years as well as everything that happened during that span. I personally hope they stretch that 30 years to 45, where there is nothing left but an original story to be told which features the big 3 in supporting roles to the young protagonists of the ST.

13. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not disagreeing about when Episodes VII-IX take place, but I do take exception to the notion that you can't jump forward when telling a story. There are several science fiction stories that have done just that. Plus if they did do it in Star Wars, you'd still have the Droids, Force ghosts, long-living aliens, and descendents... so I do think it could work.

14. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    "I'm not disagreeing about when Episodes VII-IX take place, but I do take exception to the notion that you can't jump forward when telling a story. There are several science fiction stories that have done just that. Plus if they did do it in Star Wars, you'd still have the Droids, Force ghosts, long-living aliens, and descendents... so I do think it could work."

From a narrative perspective it would absolutely work, but from a money-making perspective? Instead of comparing it to other science fiction stories, it might be better (for predicting what Disney will do) to compare Star Wars to other blockbuster film series. It would kind of be like Harry Potter 4 being about Harry Potter's grandkids.

15. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Isaac Asimov would like to have a word with you. Seriously though. While I hope for an original cast, to say it is a must seems short sighted to me. I may not be able to see it work at the moment, but that does not mean it can't

16. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Actually it would be more like Harry's story taking place over 6 movies before continuing with a new generation once Harry's grown up. That doesn't sound so implausible either. However, I do happen to think that with Star Wars we will a complete 9-movie arc before jumping ahead in time.

17. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

I dont see one work of fiction that jumps ahead 100 years in the middle of the story, and then disregard all the characters prior.

And this wouldnt be like Harry Poter 4 being about the grandchildren, this would be starting Harry Potter 4 with Harry Porter as the main character, then in Chapter 7 jumping ahead 100 years and have it about the grandchildren.

It just wouldnt work.

Unless you explained it thoroughly.

-C

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It would be lesser without them, but remember, they still have to convince Harrison to take the part.

19. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    I'm sorry I thought you were saying the sequel trilogy would be set hundreds of years in the future? If it's 100 years, I don't see how you really include Luke, Leia, et al unless they are ridiculously old!

20. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    lol... Sorry but this is Star Wars, not Foundation. The focus is on the line of Anakin Skywalker, it's their story so skipping three or four generations with a 100 year jump is very unlikely.

clone3131 likes this.
  21. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    "lol... Sorry but this is Star Wars, not Foundation. The focus is on the line of Anakin Skywalker, it's their story so skipping three or four generations with a 100 year jump is very unlikely."

Yes and novels are much different than films that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to make.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah but wait until Episode X. I'd almost put money on a jump ahead once this trilogy is complete.

23. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Yet doable. it just seems incredibly shortsighted to say the story could only work if the original cast returns. please keep in mind I desperately hope the big three come back. However, it is far from impossible to do it without them. The original poster implied this type of storytelling was impossible no matter the conent. I simply pointed out that plenty of material says the complete opposite. In the end it is entirely a matter of preference. I personally believe a good story can be said even if it goes against my preference.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  24. clone3131

Feb 11, 2004

I havent read every Asimov book, but I highly doubt he had one start 6 chapters with a group of characters, and then on Chapter 7, for no reason, jump ahead 100 years and have a whole new cast of characters...

-C

25. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    "Yeah but wait until Episode X. I'd almost put money on a jump ahead once this trilogy is complete."

I don't doubt there would be somewhat of a time jump, but you don't think new, younger characters introduced in 7-9 will be in 10-12?