main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Yes. I'd love for Dan, Jason, or Abel to somehow work in some references to some of the material in those books.

2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Entirely correct. Which is why that has nothing to do with what my post was about. :p

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    While I do think that the impending ST will inevitably require some restructuring of the EU, there are some aspects of the current EU that I will not tolerate being relegated to N-Canon status. Among them are characters such as Mara Jade, Grand Admiral Thrawn, and Han and Leia's children.

lukemaraben likes this.
  4. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Other things are so mundane that they will not need retconned because they won't replace that character, Booster Terrik, Talon Karde, and the like...

lukemaraben likes this.
  5. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    What other aspects of the EU do fans consider to be inviolate in regards to the ST?

6. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly Mara Jade and Thrawn, the whole Thrawn Trilogy, could be the only existing EU I wouldn't be happy but I would be OK with it. ROgue Squadron series will not be touched, simply because it won't be brought up in the flims, unless they are going out of the way to ruin every section of the EU through the Sequel Trilogy.

7. TheCouncilHistorian

TheCouncilHistorian Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2012
    I find I love the idea of a female lead for the new series. Its a shame it needs to be a Skywalker. We already have a great female lead for the post-RotJ era in Jaina Solo. People in the general population love Solo more than the Skywalkers we've been introduced to anyway.

Honestly, I would be shocked if they even concerned themselves with our little world. I wish we had any idea of the nerdiness levels of the writer...

8. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Who says that a Jaina Solo/Ben Skywalker team can't get along like Obi Wan/Anakin in the PT?

9. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm not sure what you mean. Is getting along like Obi-Wan/Anakin in the PT supposed to mean they get along well...not at all...somewhere in between?

Or are you just saying that a female Jedi can fit in fine?

10. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't mean the whole I saved you master... But a two Jedi team, one more senior, the other just as skilled but less experienced. They can divide up if need be or can team up. Think Obi Wan and Anakin spliting up on different missions in EP 2 that rejoin in the end to fight the bad guys... Jaina and Ben mission in EP 7, they both go different ways in 8, they lead a Jedi army in 9. Jaina will fit fine if they want a female lead, my bet is they will use her.

11. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I too have been wondering how (if at all) Disney will deal with the Red Sith.

12. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    They shouldn't touch on the origins of the Sith at all. The various comics and novels over the years have done that well enough, and we don't need Disney messing everything up.

13. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Well, ToR claimed Drommund Kaas was the 'ancestral' Sith homeworld. So shrug.

The origins of the Sith will be toyed with again and again. We thought the Sith Order was founded in 24,500 BBY once upon a time, after all.

I want more news. I am getting more grumpy...

... and on another note, does everyone recall that Apocalypse was delayed? I point at this news as the cause, now. I would lay bets that the Jagged sections were rewritten...

... and the only reason I can see for Daala surviving is because she's in the Sequel Trilogy. But I hope not :p

cthugha likes this.
  14. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    In recent years, the Red Sith have increasingly become less central to the history of the Sith anyway.

Case in point, when Dawn of the Jedi is done, I highly suspect we'll view the Force Wars as more important than the Hundred-Year Darkness, with the Red Sith little more than the linguistic origin of the term "Sith Lord", as opposed to the grand origins of darkness that it once appeared back in TOTJ's day.

Worst case scenario, they rewrite the meaning of the word "Sith" and we just need a retcon to explain the Red Sith being named after the dark side order, rather than vice versa. (And there's already the background for that anyway thanks to Adas, so they could just say the [Adas Species] renamed itself after their first Rakata encounter.)

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It was a world in the Original Sith Empire and the Sith changed their homeworld every Sunday

darklordoftech and Zorrixor like this.
  16. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    So initially I felt that the EU (post ROTJ) was toast. But as time has passed I've become a little more optimistic that the EU may stay mostly maintained.

The one concern I have is Chewbacca's death. Is Vector Prime going to be wiped out and thereby the rest of the EU following it? On one hand George approved Chewbacca's death. On the other hand there are reports that Peter Mayhew signed a contract that if he were in Episode III he would also be in Episodes VII-IX.

I realize this has been discussed ad nauseum, but where are people standing on their thoughts about this just a little over a month since D-Day?

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    I'd be happy enough simply to get a Star Wars: Chewbacca novel that explained his absence.

The hilarious irony could be that he ended up with the best individual storyline of the NJO-to-ST period, as he'd have been able to have his own solo adventure, untouched by LOTF and FOTJ. :p

And, heck, I've wanted a Vong Warlord novel for years, so a novel about a captive Chewbacca single-handedly waging war against a rogue Vong survivor who had conquered his own planet would be right up my alley. Throw in some Vong biotic implants, and you've even got the reason Chewie appeared dead in the Force, voila.
    Not surprising really either when you think about it.

King of Dromund Kaas kills all other Sith Kings. Dromund Kaas declared homeworld. King of Ziost kills all other Sith Kings. Ziost now declared homeworld. King of Korriban beats all other Sith Kings. Korriban declared homeworld. Rinse and repeat. Not like a society ruled by the biggest ego is going to care about historic loyalty.

Esg, darklordoftech and cthugha like this.
  18. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Bah, that would be annoying. Though I could definitely see that happening. It would just open the floodgates to the early Republic era turning into another Jedi-vs-Sith morass. With any luck the TotJ explanation will be preserved.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    God no.

20. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    If that happens, it will only confirm my theory that Dark Horse want to go down In history putting out the last respectable story before Star Wars jumped the shark for good :p

21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The Freedon Nadd Uprising and Dark Lords of the Sith imply that the Red Sith were already powerful before the Exiles showed up. Golden Age of the Sith implies the opposite.

Maybe there will be a comic series about the Hundred-Year Darkness.

22. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I also wonder if Dawn of the Jedi will be relevant to the post-Legacy GFFA.

23. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    They aren't going to follow the post rotj eu books, deal with it. george wrote his own script that is going to be used and it was written before the thrawn trilogy came out so...

24. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Were you responding to me? I was NOT talking about whether or not they'll follow the post-ROTJ books.

25. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    no just the general people who were saying that it was going to follow it...

darklordoftech likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.