main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    What makes you think it'll even have Luke?

2. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    That's what I'm wondering as well. despite Luke's central role, the films were essentially the legacy of Anakin Skywalker. I think it would be interesting to see a descendant of the Skywalker line be approached by this legacy in a time of crisis. That would also explain why Vader is apparently returning in the trilogy. His redeemed self could be seen as the Obi Wan spirit guide for a new character generations down the line.

I think that the benefits of this approach should be obvious. Move the timeline forward to have a complete blank slate, leaves the entire galaxy open and doesn't steamroll.

3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Did I miss something? Where did that info originate?

4. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    How about the fact that 1) Lucas and Hamill over the last 30 years have consistently discussed the sequel trilogy as being about the continuation of Luke's journey, 2) Episode VII being based on Lucas' own notes and 3) Lucas meeting with Hamill back in August?

5. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Go back to the Zahn quote. Lucas changes his mind on a whim. Nothing is set in stone at this point. Speculation remember?

Esg likes this.
  6. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Implying they will do everything Lucas says to a T
    > Implying they have to
    >Implying a consultant is the same as having total authority
    > Implying Lucas is consistent

7. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Nothing is certain, but common sense suggests Luke will be returning, played by Mark Hamill. Feel free to bury your head in the sand if you wish.

Then there's the matter of "What will guarantee bums in seats better than anything else?" There has to be some connective tissue linking episodes VI and VII.

8. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Regardless of his current role in the hierarchy, Lucas is the ultimate authority on Star Wars. And when it comes to his story, you can bet that his ideas will be respected and utilized by Kennedy and Iger. He chose these people for a reason.

9. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Now look, you're sniping back, and this is what perpetuates these arguments. ESG accuses you of implying theory as fact, you shoot back and accuse him of being ignorant.

Common sense might mean that Luke comes back, but there is no guarantee. So you can't really call someone ignorant of something that isn't set in stone. With the rumor (yes, it was a rumor of Vader's resurrection) about Vader's return, the same can be said of Luke. Generations of skywalkers that have become one with the force to guide a new hero. Father and son watching their descendants together.

So can we stop the back and forth baiting to discuss what might happen? The only things guaranteed are that the films are coming, and they are set after Jedi. Everything else is up in the air.

Esg likes this.
  10. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    That is worrying. Lucas choosing who to work with often ends up with people so spineless that there is nobody to challenge his authority.

Esg likes this.
  11. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Agreed. Lucas is the only and ultimate reason why there is anything called "Star Wars" that random people all over the world can debate about until infinity.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  12. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    The only meaningful way to discuss what might happen is to weight probabilities according to the evidence we have. Claiming that "we just don't know" (paraphrased) is disingenuous when we do have reason to believe some elements are more likely to appear than others. Luke may not appear, but he most likely will. Continuity with,the EU may be totally respected, but it most likely won't.

"You don't know that!" is not an argument against these likelihoods any more than "Were you there?" is an argument against evolution.

13. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    I think it would be really cool if it included no EU at all!

14. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    The fact that things like Coruscant got used in the PT is meaningless. People always bring that stuff up but ignore how the prequels contradicted dozens of things from the EU.

kainee likes this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not really. Aside from some throwaway lines the Eu was perfectly intact

Hell Lucas didn't allow anyone to even touch the PT era before it was out

DarthBoba likes this.
  16. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Just because there weren't novels set in the PT era doesn't mean there can't be contradictions. Just look at the Thrawn Trilogy. I'm sure these things can be retconned some convoluted way, but the fact of the matter is Lucas just didn't care about contradicting the books.

17. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I reiterate. They just contradicted throwaway lines to events that weren't shown until decades later. It was barely anything at all. And Lucas is a consultant. He's not in charge to begin with

18. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Oh, I’ve read most of the NJO series. Didn’t love it ;)

Esg likes this.
  19. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    "I reiterate. They just contradicted throwaway lines to events that weren't shown until decades later. It was barely anything at all. And Lucas is a consultant. He's not in charge to begin with"

Throwaway lines? What makes some lines throwaway and others canon? Besides, pretty much the entire backstory of Zahn's trilogy makes no sense now after the prequels.

And if Lucas didn't care about contradicting the EU, why would Disney?

20. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Uh wut
    Each to their own I guess

21. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    Originally the Clone Wars were set much earlier, and the clones were fighting against the Republic, not for it.

And didn't Darth Vader supposedly find the Noghri during the Clone Wars?

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Clone uprising of Kamino says hello
    They even retconned the Clone Masters to be the Kamino who led them
    More like their world got poisoned during it and Vader found them immediately after the Empire is formed

23. Artoo-Dion

Jun 9, 2009
    Yeah, that's called a retcon. It's used to patch-over inconsistencies by ignoring the original intent of the text.

24. kubricklynch

Dec 10, 2012
    "Clone uprising of Kamino says hello
    They even retconned the Clone Masters to be the Kamino who led them"

I don't really follow the EU anymore, so I don't know about all that. But none of that was the original intent of Zahn.

25. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    >Implying I should care over something not even shown would not be contradicted by something decades later
    > It's very different from something utterly **** on it's entire mythos like you keep implying
    >Never playing Battlefront

I am disappoint

And who care about the original intent about a war he couldn't even write about and had no idea about due to the PT not even being finished

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.