main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph One Thread To Rule Them All: The Rings of Power + The Hobbit & Lord of the Rings Trilogies

Discussion in 'Community' started by -Courtney-, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    No ****ing way. :mad:

2. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

What does he even do?

3. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    Is badass.

[​IMG]

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  4. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Sure he looks awesome, but if he only has 30 seconds of screen time, then what's the point really?

5. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Meaning if they had to edit out dwarves on the list there. Gloin being important. I say keep all thirteen! Bilbo is the lucky number!

Guessing you aren't counting Gandalf there. :p
    But bringing only an extremely small group seems even more ridiculous. Also, that's how Tolkien wrote it, so changing the major characters by editing them out wouldn't be a good idea for the films. Also, you included rather a number of them as necessary already....

6. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    I'm just picking nits for the sake of it.

Random Comments likes this.
  7. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I've always thought Tolkien chose the perfect number of dwarves, and am somewhat aghast at the suggestion the story might be better off with a reduced company. The Hobbit is all about the company. I don't mind that some are short-changed in terms of character development. As I read "The Hobbit" I want to feel like I'm traveling with a large group, a band of brothers regarded by Thorin as worthwhile irrespective of their ability to handle their predicament or bring anything to the quest beyond their loyalty.
    The dwarves are out to reclaim something important, a part of themselves, so let's see them (however briefly) instead of hearing about them. This means numbers, and in a book of this length that means there are some we will see little of. That's fine, though. The company are there, next to me as I read. I know that and that's a huge deal. As Thorin talks with Bilbo I like to imagine Fíli and Kíli are sat together by a fire, or that Dwalin is stood just out of earshot looking badass. Or that Bombur is worrying about the source of his next square meal. This is about numbers, but it's not about 'making up the numbers'. It's about making the quest inclusive. Like it's more than just Thorin's honour on the line, more than just his own personal beef. It's far, far better than an élite group of dwarves - all nicely labelled up with a particular ninja specialty - infiltrating Mirkwood without incident. That would be far too precise for this tale and give the impression Thorin is backed only by a particular clique, line or gang.

The size of the company also works wonders for Bilbo's character. When it's left to him to rescue the dwarves, by actions or plans, he has to think on a grand scale. Thirteen to rescue! He has a lot of work to do which, IMHO, is far better for him than less. Plus, can you imagine 'An Unexpected Party' with less than thirteen dwarves? Without the confusion and mess and intensity and yes... Bilbo's shock at what's come to his door? I can't.

8. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    sure, you can imagine any number of things that aren't on the page when you're reading a book. that's your prerogative. but that's going to be something personal and different for everyone and impossible to translate to the screen. when you're trying to adapt, as you say, a relatively short work of children's fiction and it turns into three bloated movies it might be a good idea to pare things down a bit. but we shall see.

9. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    If these movies can be accused of bloating, then it's not the number of dwarves that will be the problem. On screen they could just as easily be in the background as they are in my head as I read the book. What's important is that they are there, present on the quest.

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
  10. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    well if they're trying to develop each of those characters instead of having them be part of the furniture then that indeed could be part of the problem.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Agreed, but that's a different issue to simply having them there.

EDIT: I should say that I'm probably going to see the film and think it's awesome however long it is, though. :p

12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i kind of want to take this discussion further but we should probably just wait four days.

13. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    We'll all be in a better position then.

14. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: 37492 words, one film.
    The Hobbit: 95022 words, three films.
    Then there are all the movies about Jesus' last days, and how many pages are they in the Bible?

It's not the page count, it's how you handle all the stuff that is hand waved in the book (The dwarves had a discussion. They traveled for a week in the moors. They had a fight). And there's much more of that in the Hobbit than in the Lord of the Rings, where discussions and journeys were written completely open.

15. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's been a few years since i read it, but are important elements of the story often hand waved in the book?

16. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    No, but they do offer opportunities for on screen character development not taken in the book.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
  18. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
  19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Does anyone think that we'll get a Hobbit Symphony to go with the Lord of the Rings symphony?

*imagines epic symphonic War of the Ring*
    :D

20. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I hope this movie will be good!!!!!!

21. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    *dies and goes to Heaven at the mere prospect*
    Because there are times when a simple "like" isn't enough to convey one's enthusiasm...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    There isn't a word, let alone a "like". :p

23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It won't be now that you said it [face_skull]

24. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    It seems that someone has got their priorities straight:
    So would we all, Sir Ian, so would we all...

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

Chewgumma likes this.
  25. Mar17swgirl

Dec 26, 2000
    He did say in one interview (or was it in a LOTR DVD extra? I can't remember) that Cate Blanchett is probably the only woman in the world who could turn him straight. Or something along those lines. :p

Chewgumma likes this.