main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

TV Discussion Fisto's Disco: The LACWAC Social Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by G-FETT, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    this pic is so funny i just had to show you this :p
    [​IMG]

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I also thoroughly enjoyed the John Carter movie, but I felt the further in the movie got the further away from A Princess of Mars the story got, and by the end they had added in this whole extra thing that tied everything together that shouldn't have been there at all (those telepathic bald guys or whatever they were). It's like they thought the book was too plain by itself and tried to stick more direct magical elements in, as if the guy hadn't just been mystically transported through space to Mars and encountered a bunch of otherworldly stuff as it was. I'm not really sure where the franchise would have gone had the film been a success, because it had failed attempts at themes that really shouldn't have shown up till the next book, The Gods of Mars. That was worse than any of the more minor mistakes.

It was good action and awesome to finally see this film that had been talked about for roughly 100 years (especially since it is arguably the foundational work of the genre Star Wars later revived from the dead), but while it started out with an oh crap - they're seriously nailing this it ended with a why the hell would they think they needed to add that.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was just talking about that with my brother, "I could have done without the bald dudes".

True story: I heard the name "Tarkas" and was all "lol that's where that dude got his name from".

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Yeah, that whole part was not from Edgar Rice Burroughs and without doubt the worst part of it for me. I really felt like they were doing well until then.

And that's hilarious. [face_laugh]

[​IMG]

One of my finer self-portraits. :D (Credit to Q.)

5. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Almost better to have a flat-out crap version, rather than one that had potential and falled.

Kinda like the difference between getting blown out in a game and losing a heartbreaker. :p

6. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Why is there an advertisement popping up on youtube videos I am watching that says, "Learn how to hack Facebook accounts." ...

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    There's a class in my school where you can learn how to hack. They say it's so you can prevent it happening to you, but sometimes I wonder.

8. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    What exactly do they teach you to do in hacking class Todd?

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I wish I knew, since I never took it. [face_whistling] Don't know if it's even offered every semester.

10. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    S'okay, LOL. I bet your already a social engineering master huh?

11. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    According to that fancy degree I'm gonna get in the spring, yes. :p

Seerow likes this.
  12. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Uh oh, better be extra careful with our passwords, there is a phish in the pool.

13. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    Yeah. Like my Blu-Ray player that advertises "compatible with mkv files!!" Sure, but you're not suggesting that I download mkv files and play them on my Blu-Ray, right? :oops:

KenobiSkywalker and Seerow like this.
  14. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Time for some nerd cred.Today's subject: Battlestar Galactica and Star Trek.

In the re-imagined version of Battlestar Galactica, the show was produced by former Star Trek writer Ronald D. Moore, who worked heavily on Next Generation and Deep Space Nine. In BSG Season 3, another Star Trek writer, Michael Taylor joined the writing staff. Michael Taylor wrote the DS9 Episode "The Visitor", which detailed an alternate future where Jake Sisko became a famous writer but fell into obscurity as he became obsessed with rescuing his father from a temporal anomaly. His most famous book was called "Anslem."

Jump to 2012. Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome. Michael Taylor writes the script. Pilot John Kirby is told that he has a son, named "Anslem." Coincidence? I think not!

However, now we jump back to Star Trek. On Deep Space Nine, the writers decided to bring back the three major Klingons from the original series, Kor, Koloth, and Kang. Of these three, Kor was the only survivor of one episode, and had two more appearances in Klingon focused episodes of DS9. Kor was the first major Klingon antagonist, confronting Kirk in the episode "Errand of Mercy."

Now we jump back to Battlestar Galactica, this time looking at the original 1978 version. The actor John Colicos played the evil traitor Count Baltar, who sided with the cylons against humanity. Colicos just so happened to be the same actor who played Kor on Star Trek, having numerous appearances on DS9, which had two writers who became major players in the re-imagined BSG series, who then made numerous references back to Star Trek, such as the son named Anslem and multiple appearances of the numer 47 (This number being to star trek what 7 is to the Halo Franchise, or 1138 to Star Wars).

For a show that was originally conceived as a way to capitalize on Star Wars' success, Battlestar Galactica has a lot more compare and contrast to Star Trek, and even more crossover than one might think. And I can't believe I caught most of this.

15. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    Whoa, Nute Gunray was ripped in his youth! And four-armed, too!
    I wonder, did he carve Rune Haako out of his own flesh?
    ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Garth Maul

May 18, 2002
    [face_skull] Zandalor - that's awesome.

It's all one universe........

Edit: I've read a couple of different SF novels which get weird and postulate that writers actually get inspiration from....a fraying....between parallel universes, so there would be a universe where Tolkien's Middle Earth existed, Romeo & Juliet loved and died together, and so on.

It'll blow your mind, man.

17. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Sounds like the anime Romeo x Juliet.

18. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oops... o_O

:D

19. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    Must hold back DRM rant. x.x; ... there is a reason HDDs got so big so fast. =b

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I have emerged from hibernation to say this: bought Star Wars: Rebellion on PC for $3 today. :cool:

21. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009

22. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    That's not one of the better ones, honestly.

23. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    The video or the series?

24. Seerow

Jun 7, 2011
    The series. I've seen high school plays of Romeo and Juliet that were more interesting. I just wasn't a fan of the vigilante super hero thing meets emo tyrannical dictatorship meets generic shonen thing. It was pretty bold attempt to make a love story into an actiony show and it just doesn't work.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  25. Darth_Zandalor

Aug 2, 2009
    Ready for round two? Helena Cain, rear admiral and Commander of Battlestar Pegasus, was played by Michelle Forbes. Michelle Forbes was on Star Trek The Next Generation as Ro Laren.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

She was also Judith Mossman in Half Life 2. Which allows me to nicely segue into games.

Mass Effect 2: Michael Hogan, Tricia Helfer and Michael Dorn make appearances as Bailey, EDI and Uvenk. So Colonel Tigh goes from Executive Officer to a Police precinct, Caprica Six becomes a ship borne AI, before becoming an android again, and Worf's head ridges become so severe he turns from a Klingon into a dinosaur.

And then you add in people like Adam Baldwin playing Kal'Reegar, which then links Mass Effect to Firefly, and Claudia Black playing Daro'Xen, linking it to Farscape. Simon Templeman playing Han'Garrel, linking to Star Trek again (Templeman played a character on an episode of TNG, and he is married to the woman who played Keiko O'Brien) And being a bioware game, a bunch of these voice actors were then used in The Old Republic, and the circle continues.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.