main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Been a while since I've seen the Khan episode, and I can't remember Harrison's character offhand. If Khan learned his name in the episode, could he be infiltrating the ship disguised as this guy?

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think Khan would be too old/recognizable/Montalbanian*. But it might work for Joachim.

*Seriously, does Khan strike you as the "low key infiltration" sort? ;)

"Ok, Lt No Name, we need you to run some maintenance on the power conduit adjacent to the warp core."
    "AH, (nods) yesss. The. Warp Core. A power conduit, did you say? Flowing with power, yet powerless- much like how we wander through our lives, thinking we can have power over such things despite being Utterly irrelevant to the universe, ready to be crushed... like an ANT."
    "Uh, yeah. Where did you say you were from again?"
    "Texas."

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ah I can see that.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The movie looks impressive, I am pleased Abrams went with a title for it and not Star Trek 2. Reboots these may be but they tie-in to the originals also, no need just to remake the previous movies when you can do something different (yet somehow the same).

Cumberbatch is a great actor and will no doubt be a good villain

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Probably not, given that that was in a different timeline and hasn't happened in the Abramsverse.

6. DX6channel

DX6channel Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2010
    Is it possible that he is going to be a cyborg?

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Seeing as they rebooted the entire universe in order not to be bound to the original canon, that doesn't matter in the slightest either way.

The villain's name isn't a secret.The villain's identity is a secret (or has been until now). That's a pretty important distinction, especially if the villain's identity is "brand new character."

I don't think it's misdirection, or an accident. I think now that the viral buzz period is dying down and the actual press campaign is starting, there's no more reason to conceal the fact that it's an original villain, so they're publicizing the name. Remember that outside the small circle of internet nerds who have been talking about Khan since they walked out of STXI at midnight three years ago, most people don't even know or care enough about this movie to know that the villain's identity has been a secret up until now. There's been some media buzz, but to the average movie-goer seeing the trailer at the movies this Christmas is going to be the first time they remember that they're making another Star Trek.
    I'd give some leeway for the possibility that at some point in the movie John Harrison says "I'M ACTUALLY KHAN/GARY MITCHELL/SOME OTHER VILLAIN" but I really, really think that having been inside the speculation bubble for a year now, everyone's overthinking this, and it's really just an original villain, and there's no reason for the studio to hide that anymore.

8. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I'd love it if it were an original villain actually, but supposedly, according to everyone involved, the villain is a character who has been featured previously in the original series, so it looks like misdirection.

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Why would this be misdirection and the buzz about it being a previous character not be misdirection?

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    That is not entirely true. The producers have said (and given the way they did the reboot, it would be reasonable to assume) that everything that happened before Nero came through the wormh-- black ho-- something-- still happened. That means V'Ger, Botany Bay, the whale alien probe are out there, etc. And most notably the entire Enterprise series (Scotty mentions an "Admiral Archer").

Also,

The name definitely sounds like a pseudonym to me. ...But so does Gary Mitchell. So whatever.

11. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Okay, I exaggerated. But Space Seed definitely didn't happen, so the point in my post stands.

12. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Dunno. Just assuming that Abrams & co. haven't been lying through their teeth for no reason for the past ten months. I'd understand them hiding a known character for surprise, or hiding an unknown character because nobody would know him, but saying a character is known and hiding it even though the character is new? Seems a little convoluted, even for the guys who wrote Lost.

13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Are they just sticking with TOS villains? I was wondering if he could possibly be related to the Borg? I know it sounds silly but you never know.

15. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If she's playing Carol Marcus then her B-Movie Scream is even more annoying and more of a a slap in the face especially given Bibi Besch's portrayal of her in WOK.

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  17. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Given that all the characters (or at least the actors now playing them) are far younger than they were when the original universe's TWOK was made, I would expect some characters will no longer exist in the Abrams universe, or may pop into existance by the end of Into Darkness.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Oh crap, this thread is going to become page after page of spoiler-tagged posts.
    If she is Carol Marcus, she probably won't become the mother of Kirk's child. I imagine they'd even kill her off or something.

And Nero wasn't a TOS villain. And unless the Borg have been changed vastly by the producers' whims, Cumberbatch has nothing to do with them.

Juliet316 likes this.
  19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I know Nero wasn't a TOS villain but didn't Abrams or someone else mention that the villain this time would be from TOS? Yeah the Borg have been done to death. I was just wondering.

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The Borg aren't TOS villians either. :p

21. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I don't see how it could be the Borg. As Even noted, the Enterprise series still stands in this universe, and the Borg only get to know of Earth thanks to the subspace signal sent during Regeneration, which will arrive in the 24th Century. So no Borg just yet.

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Argh I knew that I must have left it out/worded my post wrong.

23. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
  24. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I don't know about TOS to really comment on the blonde and her relationship with Kirk ... other than that I've seen her for about a second in a trailer and she's already annoying 8-}

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think we'd get any Borg... however, there is the outside possibility of canonizing the oft-suggested/explored theory of a Borg/V'Ger connection- depending on how much the Nero miniseries plot is considered (since that series explored the common Borg origin for both V'Ger and the Narada in relation to Nero's escape from the Klingon prison).

But I would assume they'd keep the Borg away from TOS so that they can both re-explore TOS era material without overshadowing the more recent fare AND save the Borg for a potential TNG reboot down the line (and, by then, the Borg will have been on vacation for so long in the public eye, it'll be refreshing to have them in a film/series once more)..

But this is Abrams we're talking about- keeping something secret so people speculate like crazy over it is kind of his thing,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.