main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Right, to a point - meaning for the last year. I don't think he/they ever intended to keep the villain's identity a secret up until the moment we walked into the theater. They would only have done that if the villain had been Khan, because Khan's the only villain that can live up to the hype of Khan which has been circulating for months and would only get stronger from this point out. And it's not Khan.

2. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe he's Sybok.

3. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I don't think even JJ would be that cruel.

4. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Soran.

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN

halibut likes this.
  6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    You know learning who the blonde is gets especially annoying given her history when you contrast the new!versionof this character screaming her head off in the trailer with Uhura just doing a BAMF walk through whatever ruins that is (whether it's Earth or another planet) in the trailer.

I suppose if Abrams wants to give the TOS fans some form of Vengeance by having New!Kirk kill this younger AU Soran as penance for Berman killing Original!Kirkl

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or, by not confirming it's Khan and keeping the speculation muddled, they can avoid (or, at least, minimize) a year of "Oh, they're redoing Khan already- how original!" whining and keep people focused on either the rest of the film or the mystery of the villain.

The Borg haven't attacked the El-Aurians yet, so it's unlikely we'd see Soran for awhile (especially since his motivation as a villain is a result of his exposure to the Nexus, which, again, they wouldn't encounter until it passes by around the time of the El-Aurian refugees arrival).

Now, granted, we've seen that Guinan visited Earth long before the Borg attack, so Soran doing the same isn't entirely out of the question- but, again, with no Nexus, Soran wouldn't be a villain; and, even if he was given new villainous motivation, it wouldn't be the Nexus, so he'd be an entirely different type of villain).

So, again, unless the Nero miniseries events with the Narada and V'Ger somehow triggered earlier Borg incursions, I don't see that changing.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Y'know who I'd LOVE to see but probably won't? T'Pring. Even in TOS she was ridiculously hot; can you imagine her glammed up Nu-Trek style?

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Do you honestly believe there's a chance its Khan knowing everything we know so far?

10. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    It's not Khan, he's clearly
    the real Fifth Beatle, banished to outer-space by Yoko Ono, and now returning to demand his royalties and to be retconned into the Yellow Submarine film.

Everton and Juliet316 like this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The Oblivion trailer is so much better than the new ST trailer. I don't know who's made the better movie, but I like the look of the effects in the Cruise movie. So clean. I can't believe what they can do with textures and light rendering these days. I think Abrams' effects style, basically like watching space through some dirty porthole, is going to get tiresome quickly.

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009

WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE!

I guess that for movies you need specticle, but the underwater secne is silly, Why even have tansporter is your Bestly ship can land on a planet?

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    > where characters misuse words like 'parsecs'

Parsecs was not misused in Star Wars.

15. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    that explanation was the height of retcon and you know it

16. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It was. Han was supposed to have been making up bull**** to impress what he thought were a couple of hicks. The EU just made up a convoluted way for him to be telling the truth.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Now you're talking!

18. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    They fixed it. That is what matters. Singling out a fixed problem is just petty.

19. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Deflector shields. Since the ships of Trek can put off bursts from weapons measured in terms of nuclear weapon power levels I have no problem with it being able to not only enter an atmosphere but sittting under the ocean surface. Also, hull preassure? What might be more durable, our own nuclear sub hulls or the hull of a spacecraft created hundreds of years from now in a scifi universe?

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    VLM i am guessing you didn't read the part where he said they shouldn't have to dip into technobabble so early into the reboot.

21. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Star Trek without technobabble is not Star Trek.

MistrX and Juliet316 like this.
  22. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    A certain amount of technobabble is necessary because it's impossible to describe impossible technologies without... babbling. Some of it was self-aware and tongue-in-cheek, like "Heisenberg compensators" for the transporters. They already had some in the first film from Scotty and Chekov, IIRC. The problem with some TNG and especially Voyager is that the writers took it too far.

I take issue with the author's assertion that Star Trek is fundamentally scientific. That's ****ing ridiculous. I mean, the Enterprise submerging itself underwater is also stupid, but more for "Why would a giant-ass starship be capable of that?" than "IT'S AGAINST THE LAWS OF PHYSICS THAT THE FRANCHISE IGNORES AS PART OF ITS BASIC PREMISE."

23. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    To be fair to the author, there are certain physics that should be upheld even in scifi.

24. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    I think the point is, when Star Trek does some stretching of the science, it has usually been in the service of the story, and not because "wouldn't it be cool if the Enterprise went underwater?". And VadersLaMent did you read the part of the article where the author talks about the vastly different engineering tasks of keeping pressure out vs. keeping pressure in? Regardless of the super materials involved, if it would take six atmospheres of pressure to conceal the Enterprise, that's already at least 600% more than it was originally rated for.

25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe the Enterprise tries to come out of the water like the trailer suggests but Scotty is like "haha guys I forgot to mention that this is impossible we're all gonna die" and then the Enterprise falls back into the water and everyone suffocates and dies and Kirk wakes up because it turns out it was all a horrible dream and he has actually been in the Nexus this whole time :eek:

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.