main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    This bunny is the easter egg to end all easter eggs!

But since canon doesn't understand easter eggs, this does mean they killed Jaxxon even though he should canonically be alive at that point, eh? ;)

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  2. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I think you mean Easter bunny.

3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Hasn't Rogue Planet been rendered apocryphal by those episodes of TCW that depict Anakin and Tarkin's first meeting during the Clone Wars?

Then again, Rogue Planet has other problems, such as a Jedi character being irked by the fact that Mace Windu has never gotten married, which would make ****-all sense in light of what AOTC established regarding Jedi lifestyle.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It wasn't that he hadn't gotten married- it was that his lack of marriage and raising children, made him less qualified to comment on what to do about Anakin (who was a kid raised by a parent rather than the Order).

5. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    That still doesn't make sense, as no Jedi could marry and have children, so therefore no Jedi could look after Anakin effectively.

And what about Anakin's interactions with Tarkin in the book? How does it effect their meeting in TCW?

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Well IIRC, Jedi Thracia Cho Leem had been married and had children, and that was her point. She's had kids, she has a different perspective, one that suggests the Jedi are ill-equipped to raise children, or at least would be better equipped if they had children of their own.

I didn't read the book until well after I had seen AOTC and ROTS and I saw absolutely no problem with that aspect.

7. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think it makes sense... from a certain point of view....

:p

8. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the context of AoTC- it might be closer to "Jedi are ill-equipped to raise a child who has grown up with a parent"

Because Anakin has been raised by a parent all his young life- he has issues that normal Jedi children don't (from the point of view of Yoda and Mace)- issues that are best resolved by having someone who's been a parent handle them (at least- that's what Thracia thinks).

9. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    AOTC makes it pretty clear that the Jedi Order of the PT era does not tolerate any of its members having relationships, either within the Order or inside of it, or having families.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Later works such as No Prisoners have "Jedi splinter factions"- like that of Djinn Altis. Maybe Thracia was a member of one of these, on good enough terms with Yoda to make regular visits to Coruscant?

11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I disagree.

Anakin had a pregnant wife and they let him slide. I'm pretty sure they knew. I don't take everything that is said in the movies at "absolute" face value.

I think exceptions can and were made, there are several examples in the EU.

To follow up on what Iron_lord said, Thracia Cho Leem hardly seemed like a member of the Jedi Order at all, she seems to come and go as she pleases.

So, if you want, you can say that she's not even a proper member of the Jedi Order in Rogue Planet.

As I said, I have no problem with it.

Esg likes this.
  12. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    The EU novels set in the time leading up to ROTS establish that Obi-Wan was the only other Jedi to know that Anakin was in a relationship with a woman, and that while he kept it to himself, he did not approve of it.

13. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I think Yoda's knowledge of their relationship is evident in the movies.

14. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I think Yoda knew Anakin cared for Padmé more than he should have, but I don't think he knew they were in a relationship. There's no way he'd have just sat on that, with everything else that was going on.

15. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    What about Anakin meeting Tarkin in Rogue Planet? How does that mesh with the TCW episodes?

General Immodet likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Do the TCW episodes explicitly state he's never met Tarkin before?

Esg likes this.
  17. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    I've long since given up expecting PT Tarkin to be at all consistent. I'll live longer for it, I think.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  18. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    I have wondered about that too...

19. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    To be fair, 'lil Annie was pretty pissed at Tarkin in RP. He probably didn't want to give the man the courtesy of remembering him.

Plus, during the course of the war, he runs into so many random officers who probably have similar names, so how is he to know that this random captain is the same as the governor he had to deal with earlier?

20. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Tarkin is quite a remarkable figure, wouldn't you say?

21. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Sure, but Anakin has no reason to know that if he's just met the guy once before when he was a kid. He's got all his Jedi training between then and the war, plus all the people he's encountered during the course of the war -- some of whom were remarkable in their own right.

It might be a stretch of credulity, but a reasonable one I think. As always, I prefer to read texts together rather than to assume one invalidates the other. We can massage these things as long as they're plausible.

Ulicus likes this.
  22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Agreed.

Plus it's more likely Anakin just heard people talking about how the governor did this, the governor did that, where's the governor, what's the governor doing, I like the governor, I hate the governor, rather than necessarily hearing the name Tarkin that much.

I certainly was told the names of various people back when I was a kid, but like heck would I remember them all beyond "oh, that guy who taught the other class... what was his name again? Uh... I dunno." Memory isn't nice and clear like a Wookieepedia page.

23. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    It just seems unlikely to me that Anakin would forget someone like Tarkin.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    "Oh hi, nice to meet you. What's your name?"
    "We've met several times. We had like four classes together. [face_plain] "

^ I had that conversation about a month or two ago. Granted, this person was no Tarkin but you know -- these things happen.

Tarkin was someone Anakin met like a decade before TCW. That's a long time.

25. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It's not like TCW is the only thing to throw a twist into prequel-era Tarkin. In Cloak of Deception he's a lieutenant governor, and then a year later in RP he's a lowly naval commander? Strange career trajectory.

Esg likes this.