main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Question about Clone Army, Sifo-Dyas, and Order 66

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Master Agoraphobia, Nov 13, 2012.

1. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    Right - the clones had a method of thinking imprinted into them since very young - and they were taught that Order 66 was necessary to the Republic, which they were taught that they must serve. Just as lots of Christian people didn't choose to believe that Jesus Christ is the almighty God - they were just raised that way and believe not from a concious discovery but because it has been the way they have thought since they were able to think.

2. Jedi Master Kenobi

Jedi Master Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 17, 2012
    Exactly how I see it.
    There's probably a whole heap of "Orders". Order 65 might mean Kill All Wookies and Order 67 might activate a flash-mob dance to Duel of the Fates.
    All I can say is I'm surprised that during the Clone Wars nobody accidentally set this function off.. "Hi, Pizza Hutt, I'd like to Order 66 pizzas ple... Arrrggghhhh!"
    :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, there are indeed a whole heap of "contingency orders" in the event of something important to the war going wrong, and needing to be countered.

Order 65 is in the event of the Supreme Chancellor turning traitor.

ILNP likes this.
  4. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    The EU isn't all canon.

The Sith were the ones who ordered the clone army, whether through a pawn or directly.

Furthermore, when Order 66 is issued, the clones response is "Yes, my Lord."

Not "yes, Chancellor" or even "yes sir", but "Yes,My Lord"

The clones address Sidious as a Sith Lord. Officially, they are programmed to serve the Republic, but the clones ultimately answer to the Sith.

That's the way it looked in ROTS. The clones follow Palpatine without question. I'm pretty sure that a secret part of their programming was to be ultimately loyal to Palpatine.

They just used his role as Chancellor as justification. But if by some miracle Palpatine was somehow voted out of office, I would expect the clones to denounce the Senate and proclaim Palpatine the embodiment of the Republic.

Commander Salvo in Dark Lord says it simply "Palpatine is the Republic."

V-2 and Order66Survivor like this.
  5. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm pretty sure tht it was some sort of Manchurain Candidate Type training that they recieved..

6. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    But the EU gives a logical explanation to the question. If you don't like what it has to say on the matter then by all means don't let it affect your opinion on the subject but like it or not it gives a very logical answer. And the clones don't address his as a Sith. Just because they call him lord does not mean that they knew/ suspected he was a Sith Lord. Besides, we don't know the Chancellors title when being addressed by subordinates (which is what the clones were). For all we know, the proper way to address the Chancellor was lord.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Senator Padme's been addressed as "my lady" on occasion. Why not Palpatine as "my lord"?

Order66Survivor likes this.
  8. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I think it was either "Chancellor" or "My Lord".

9. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Mace, of all people, addresses Palpatine as "My Lord" in Revenge: "You are under arrest, my lord".

10. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Maybe he was mocking him? But yes, "my lord"/"my lady" seems to be the common address for the Senators.

11. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    ^THAT

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    While the novel doesn't state outright that Sifo-Dyas actually contacted the Kaminoans himself and placed the order, The Essential Guide to Warfare does.

13. Kurnous Ntol

Kurnous Ntol Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2012
    In one of the novels, I don´t remember which, a group of clones pursue a lead regarding the identity of Darth Sidious and ultimately find him before being promptly killed. So, I doubt the clones know who Palpatine really is.

14. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But at this stage Mace knew that Palpatine was a Sith Lord so he is probably refering to his Sith title.

As far as I know, the chancellor is not adressed as "My Lord". He is called "Chancellor" or "Your Honor".
    The Sith are the ones that are always refered to as "Lord". So the clones usage of the "Lord" title could indicate that they knew him as a Sith.

By for now.
    Blackboard Monitor

15. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    Labyrinth of Evil

16. ILNP

ILNP Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 12, 2011
    The Jedi commander of the Jedi Army during the Battle of Ruusan was called Lord Hoth. I know it's from the EU but it still shows an example of the title "Lord" being used when the more common title would have been "Master."

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Back then there were 'Jedi Barons' and 'Jedi Lords' ruling systems feudally.

18. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    yeah the "my Lord" from Mace was to me clearly of a mocking tone.

V-2 and Order66Survivor like this.
  19. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    More likely, the Sith were the feudal lords. The Jedi are the ones who freed the Galaxy from the "Sith oppression". Hence, the Sith want revenge.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe more plausible- but it's not what sources covering that time period have written.

That said, the Jedi rulers were a lot nicer than the Sith ones.

21. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    It is not surprising that there are other contingency orders even if you do not look into the Expanded Universe. The fact that the Order is "Order 66" would give it away that there are others. I am really surprised that Yoda did not try to find out what the programming of these clones were. It appears that he just blindly took them to Geonosis. I also wonder why the Jedi Council allowed their Jedi to just lead these clones without further information on them. They had over three years at least to investigate.

22. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    The clones had heaps of "orders" that they learned, hence "Order 66" is a pretty high number . . . duh

they are loyal to palpatine first and foremost, and obeyed the order unquestionably

as someone mentioned Sifo-Dyas was sort of tricked into ordering the army by plagueis/sidious, because they convinced him it would be necessary with the degrading state of the republic, which he was already very worried about

23. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    The clones don't know or care about the Sith.
    "My Lord" is just a standard title for the chancellor. They are loyal to the chancellor as head of the republic/empire. End of story.

And trying to research whether "My Lord" is an approproate title based on every bit of SW work is just stupid because it was just a random line written by lucas, not likely intended to indicate anything. He certainly wasn't worried that people would think they knew palps was a sith

24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You don't know that he didn't. The point of AOTC was that the clones were conditioned to obey orders in general, not that they came pre-loaded with specific orders.

25. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Exept that "My Lord" isn't shown to be a standard title for the Chacellor. "Chancellor or "Your Honor" are used.
    In the films, the Sith are the ones most commonly/almost exclusively refered to as "My Lord". So why is it unreasonable to assume that the clones use of the word might be significant?

The films never make it totally clear exactly who ordered the clone army and I would not be suprised if Palpatine had made them loyal to him and not just to whoever happeened to be Chancellor. If Palpatine had gotten voted out as Chancellor he would no longer have the army and I doubt he would accept this. Also the clone army was ordered ten years ago and the plan seemed to be for the Senate to propose a bill to make an army for the republic and the clones would turn up. But due to Padmes objections the bill didn't get pushed through, instead it seemed that Palpatine had to improvise and have the senate give him emergency powers instead.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface