main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC The Royal Family Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by AaylaSecurOWNED, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    Hemorrhoids are a choice

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Getting in-jokes is a choice.

3. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Not being able to think of a signature is a choice.

4. Space_Caboose

Space_Caboose Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 14, 2009
    Jaleel White is a choice

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    AS DAYS GO BYYYYYYYYYYYYY

6. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Oh look, a wild tangent! Let's see where it goes.

7. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It'll install malware and a browser toolbar if you're not careful.

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I can't be the only one who's sadly reminded of this last series of The Thick of It with regards to this poor nurse and the appalling failure of the system and the press who sat outside her house, can I?

9. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Never heard of the show, but that was one of the points I was making earlier. I find the tabloid media far more culpable in this than the two DJs.

Juliet316 likes this.
  10. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    im probably the only ************ on here cool enough to have seen that show other than you (how'd that happen?) and (going by his 'tar) adam of nuchtern, and i didnt think of that at all. how did the press fail mr tickle?

11. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Tickell!!! His name was TICKELL!!!! :mad::_|:mad:

12. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I feel as though someone put a couple of Australian DJs through to this thread.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    the royal family is about as much use as a marzipan dildo

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Agreed, I didn't hear about the harrassment until yesterday, but I seriously doubt the DJ's did this thinking that some poor woman was going to kill herself in the end.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Getting his name right is easy peasy lemon squeezy.

16. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Let's get back to bowing to our false idols.

17. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I haven't read the thread, but has a joke about the Royal Baby being photographed nude been made yet?

18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I find it difficult, difficult, lemon, difficult. (Technically that's In the Loop, but good enough).

And yeah rogue_ten, in the show the media plays the role of airing the guy's mental status in public, which is part of why he kills himself. It's a very general connection, but when I heard this story I couldn't help but wonder what kind of things might have been going on behind the scenes or which are now. Mostly I just always picture Malcolm pulling the strings of British government.

19. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    . . .

What?

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Because several members of that family have been photographed nude in variably public settings, embarrassing themselves, harpuah.

21. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Or in the case of Kate, being photographed with her top off while she thought she was at a private location with her husband.

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    "variably public" is what he said.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So, Parliament is discussing Nick Clegg's bill to change the royal succession to cognatic primogeniture. Surprisingly, there seems to be strong bipartisan opposition. The argument is that the passage is being pushed with unseemly haste, both from conservative opponents (who cite problems with other titles that would still operate under male-preference primogeniture, particularly the duchies of Lancaster and Cornwall or who argue that allowing the heir to marry a Catholic would either invalidate his/her children if they were raised Catholic, or insult Catholicism by prohibiting the kids from being raised that way) and from reformist opponents who insist it doesn't go far enough.

Should the bill pass, a whole bevy of legislature would have to be amended in the UK along with 16 other realms (who have already indicated willingness to change their respective laws should the UK do so).

24. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    That's a fair point, though. Can't really have a Catholic head of the Church of England, can you? :p

25. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I mean, I agree with the people who think that the reform should NOT be fast-tracked and they should sit down and get this absolutely right considering that there's actually wide support for it. But I cannot fathom actual opposition to reforming the male-preference aspects, at least. If the succession to the duchies is problematic (and it surely is), abolish male-preference in general. That would be a gargantuan change and would possibly upset the reasonable expectation of second-born male heirs, but I think it needs to be done. Arguably I'd say that female firstborns would have a good case in the ECtHR if this reform passes on the royal level but not on the peerage level.