main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The Sith in Disney Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by CoolyFett, Dec 8, 2012.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The Force exists with or without Force-users.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- Yoda pointed out that "that cave ... Is strong with the Dark Side of the Force"- nothing Luke did in RoTJ has changed that.

3. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Lucas has always been very clear that the Sith are destroyed by Anakin and Luke in ROTJ. The Dark Side threat will be someone or something new.

I like the criminal/mercenary types too and I hope they do feature, but they won't be primary villains. Unless the "Wars" are the Jedi going to war on crime.

4. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I find it very samey.

100 years later and the Jedi are wiped out again, democracy crumbles again, the last Jedi is a Skywalker again, the Sith are back... again.

I thought that Remnant lasting 25 years was way too long.

The Vong invasion was the a great new way to take the franchise into new ground but as I understand it the fans didn't like it because it was too different.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  5. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Ok I have a few problems with this, and it is an argument that has been made multiple times in every version of this thread. We aren't talking about a simply race that is destroyed and can never return. It's not like if I slaughtered every ewoke in existence thus never allowing any ewokes to ever be in the galaxy. it is a belief system. It is an ideology. You can't destroy an idea. It carries on in history. people become aware of it. people with the kind of personality that draws this ideology can adopt it. The sith did not exist since the dawn of time. They developed over a set of ideas and beliefs.

A return of the sith does not mean Anakin failed in destroying the sith. Quite the simple fact Anakin destroyed the sith that existed in the galaxy at that time. However, it is impossible for his actions to have kept someone form picking up that same belief. I have yet to literally hear one single good reason for why sith cannot return with out
    1. Using a prophecy that we have never actually heard specifically what it says and that has a message that requires personal flawed interpretation. (example: The prophecy suggests the chosen will bring back balance to the force. This implies the force has an already known state of balance meaning the for was actually thrown into balance at some point in time. The prophecy is improperly taken to the extreme that the force will forever remain in balance when nothing even remotely comes close to saying this.)
    2. Using interviews with George to take specific quotes and say he has always siad them from thw dawn of Star Wars creation. I love George. he is the reason for the blissfulness of my childhood. he is a personal hero to me. I believe the man is brilliant. I also know he is fallible, and regularly changes his mind. I also know that everything people have quoted him on in this topic has never been stated even remotely close in the films. In other words, until he actually puts it on screen it is entirely fair game.

Honestly I don;t care one bit if the Sith are in these films or not. I care about as much as I do on whether or not Justin Bieber will get a new girlfriend tomorrow. I only say all this because if sith do show up then there will be fans who will say it was such a goof, and blame Disney for grotesque issues in continuity when in reality it would be completely fine. maybe a little redundant, but zero harm done to the continuity.

6. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Lucas is a hero of mine too - nothing in my post criticized him in any way - in fact I think the man is infallible.

And yes, anything is fair game.

If he decides the Sith need to return I'm sure he'll think up of a creative way to do it.I see no "goof" there.

However, " I have yet to literally hear one single good reason for why sith cannot return with out " - Lucas said it. That's the only good reason anyone needs.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    If they do a new villian, they will be dark force users. However, I hope not Dark Jedi... Let them be a new cult of dark force users, even more secret than the Sith or something along that lines

8. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Again the same man who said their were twelve parts to the series, then nine, then definitely six remaining firm to the point of telling people to stop asking about it for years, and the viola we are back to nine for the full story. Never said your post criticized him, and it certainly was not my intention to give off that vibe. "In fact I think the man is infallible" Not sure if there is much point continuing this discussion then. Lucas is human therefore fallible. Lucas could easily have changed his mind, and very purposefully left room in his films for that to be so. In the end I just want a great film, and i am not about to assume there will be no sith because of a single quote that still does not even prove the sith cannot return. Again the sith our a idea and religion, not a race. Nothing Lucas has said could prove the sith can never come back.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Yup- "The Sith were destroyed" phrase does not in fact have the "for all time" phrase attached to it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    He actually never said that. He said he had a 9-part story plus ideas for some movies set in the same universe but that weren't part of the 9-movie story, but that would add up to 12 movies. And that's very well what he could be referring to in those youtube videos posted on the official site when he talks about "treatments for episodes 7, 8, and 9 plus some other stories" (paraphrasing).

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  11. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Apologies for that then. Lucas still has a tendency to change his mind. I don't think that is bad, but very applicable to the discussion at hand. Doesn't really matter to me either way. A return of the sith doesn't negate Anakin's sacrifice in my mind because it is rather logical to me. Not everyone will have the same opinion though, and thankfully those opinions will not negate my enjoyment of the film.

13. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012

I don't see how anyones opinions could affect enjoyment.

The ST is guaranteed to be epically awesome no matter what it is about :)

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    No it isn't, it could be awful.

I hate to be a skeptic, just sayin'

15. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Kindly refer to my previous post for commentary on how much the Word of Lucastm means [face_whistling]

16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    You seriously believe that what Lucas has/had to say about his far-distant future plans for his movie series has any bearing on his interpretation of the movies that he's already made? 8-}

17. jedimikey

jedimikey Jedi Padawan star 2

Oct 21, 2012
    You mean the Legacy storyline, I take it? Gotta agree with you there. However, I really enjoyed everything up to the end of Fate of the Jedi. I don't fully understand some folks dislike of EU material, but I have been told things like "it's poorly written", "it focuses on the big three too much," and such. I agree that some of it is poorly written....but so what? It's Star Wars! :) Some of the ideas in it are also a bit...silly...like clones of Palpatine, C'baoth, ysalimiri force-repelling lizards (although those little guys came in handy in FotJ)...but so are giant space slugs. But the Vong were cool villains, Chewie's death was epic, Jacen questioning the path of the Jedi made sense...I could go on all day, but the point I'm trying to make is that EU stuff is personal, and for those that enjoy it, it's part of the Star Wars universe. You either like it or you don't.

18. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You're not a skeptic - you are just wrong ;)

19. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Your opinion of what it means - send a link.

20. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Not to mention Del Rey getting comfy enough to make books like Mercy Kill, Scourge, Crosscureent and Riptide...

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I hope so, but the PT left a nasty sting on many people and I'm sure a lot of them thought it would be as great as what came before.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    You mean the Legacy storyline, I take it? Gotta agree with you there. However, I really enjoyed everything up to the end of Fate of the Jedi. I don't fully understand some folks dislike of EU material, but I have been told things like "it's poorly written", "it focuses on the big three too much," and such. I agree that some of it is poorly written....but so what? It's Star Wars! :) Some of the ideas in it are also a bit...silly...like clones of Palpatine, C'baoth, ysalimiri force-repelling lizards (although those little guys came in handy in FotJ)...but so are giant space slugs. But the Vong were cool villains, Chewie's death was epic, Jacen questioning the path of the Jedi made sense...I could go on all day, but the point I'm trying to make is that EU stuff is personal, and for those that enjoy it, it's part of the Star Wars universe. You either like it or you don't.[/quote]

Yes - sorry - I didn't mean to group all the EU in together.

The samey I refer to is the Legacy comic. It is just the PT and OT jumbled up a bit.

I really enjoyed the Post-ROTJ era books from Bakura to the Thrawn Duology, but I do think that 25 years of the Remnant being a threat is too much.

There are s few of those stories I'd like to see adapted into an OT animated series, and tighten up the timeframe a bit.

The Vong were a great idea and Chewie's death was indeed epic. I only got a few books into the NJO though - didn't abandon it, I just had less and less time and money to keep up.

However, having another member of the family go bad and an Imperial warlord take over as an elected galactic president was a bit samey of the PT.

I would though like the Post-ROTJ books and the Vong be adapted or made part of a new ongoing "New Republic" animated series, although Disney and Lucasfilm will be concentrating on the ST era first and foremost.

23. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    It was is as great as what came before - those "many people" are simply wrong and there is not as many of them as they think. They just moan the loudest and longest.

24. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    I agree with you. I will not assume the films are good until I see them. I am hopeful and believe there is much potential, but it would be foolish to assume they will be amazing off of one element at this point.

25. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012

Yes - sorry - I didn't mean to group all the EU in together.

The samey I refer to is the Legacy comic. It is just the PT and OT jumbled up a bit.

I really enjoyed the Post-ROTJ era books from Bakura to the Thrawn Duology, but I do think that 25 years of the Remnant being a threat is too much.

There are s few of those stories I'd like to see adapted into an OT animated series, and tighten up the timeframe a bit.

The Vong were a great idea and Chewie's death was indeed epic. I only got a few books into the NJO though - didn't abandon it, I just had less and less time and money to keep up.

However, having another member of the family go bad and an Imperial warlord take over as an elected galactic president was a bit samey of the PT.

I would though like the Post-ROTJ books and the Vong be adapted or made part of a new ongoing "New Republic" animated series, although Disney and Lucasfilm will be concentrating on the ST era first and foremost.[/quote]

We are on the same page here. Young kids have known about the Clone Wars for a while, some don't even know about the original trilogy. I would love to see a series where the first season is like mopping up imperials, introduce rogue squadron and maybe Kyle Katarn. Second season THRAWN, Dark empire, Jedi Academy, I Jedi, Introduce Mara and Corran and Clighal and Kyp. Third Season, The Solo Kid Season, blend them into every event possible. Introduce Lowie... Season 4 Vong War, should be right inbetween EP 7 and Ep 8 at this point. Can have entire episodes about Corran or Kyle or Rogue Squadron... :D Let kids get to know the Post Ep 6 world. Ive been debating this one for a while, In the Pilot, have Tano wake from stasis directly after EP 6, her and Luke do stuff. Retcon her into alot of the stuff, then either kill her off or move her into Luke's council