main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Understanding the Fan Dynamics of Star Wars Going Into the Sequel Trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Kyris Cavisek, Dec 11, 2012.

?

What category do you fall in?

1. 1/2. Original Trilogy Fan/Remastered Fan

79.1%
  2. 3. Prequel Trilogy Fan

34.9%
  3. 4. EU Fan

27.9%
  4. 5. TCW Fan

16.3%
  5. 6. Random Movie Goer (I don't like Star Wars, I don't know why I am here)

2.3%
  6. 7. Hearththrobber (I will sit through a galactic epic if it means I get to see a half naked man)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    You aren't looking deeper into the fanbase, you're looking at stereotypes of fans. Then you're trying to take those stereotypes and assign stereotypical and superficial desires to them.

You're not just segregating fans into groups, you're also generalizing those groups in the shallowest (and sometimes quite stupid) ways as well.

-shrugs-

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Kyris Cavisek

Kyris Cavisek Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I can agree with that. I enjoy the PT for what they are, are there things I wished changed, at times. But it isn't mine, it is George Lucas's (now Disney's). I can voice my opinion like everyone else. I would like to see us come to a census to what point the EU should have influence. There will be people that will say as doctrine or not at all, but chances are it will be an influence in the history between 6 and 7, possibly giving characters nothing more

3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    As long as the movies are good then I'm ok with them including or excluding almost anything. I have my preferences, of course, but I'll gladly overlook them for a quality trilogy.

KilroyMcFadden and Kyris Cavisek like this.
  4. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    But in people saying, hey I am not this, I am that and this and this other thing. I understand the fanbase better. However, the problem I have is that we are all REALLY BIG Star Wars fans, we are talking about the movies years before they have been shot cast or released. We are grasping at straws. I want to get into the thought process of the not so big Star Wars fan that don't hang out on forums, but enjoy the films and will see it opening weekend probably... What do they want?

5. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    Do you think you'll find that here?

eht13 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Who knows? They're not on the forums to offer an opinion.

7. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I know, I have been talking to some of my friends who like star wars, they seem to expect Luke Han and Leia to be in it in starring roles, picking up directly following Episode 6, others think they shouldn't be in it at all. One got excited because he thought Vader should come back from the dead like the one rumor had... I accept those opinions however don't necessarilly like them... Three of them were just like give me space battles and saber fights

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I love you.

I don't have anything to add to this post other than the point of stereotyping is to segregate people into categories; if the point of the OP were really to say that "we're all Star Wars fans," the question would be "What do you want to see in Episode VII?" and the thread could then be integrated into all the other prediction threads around here.

I hate stereotypes so much that I am tempted to defy them for the hell of it, but that would be conforming to nonconformity.

9. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I love the OT and enjoy the PT and TCW. I like some parts of the EU but am not an avid follower and don't consider all of it sacred material. If the movies want to change it, they will do so and I will accept it so long as the movies don't contradict each other (which is one of my problems with the PT).

We all have ideas how things should be done, but the films are Lucas's vision and we should respect what he wants them to be rather than hoping it is the way we want.

10. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    A well written extravagant science fantasy film that they can enjoy with their friends and families, with all the Star Wars tropes and trimmings.

It's a good bet that they couldn't care less about trivialities of the EU, Mandalorians, or if a 3 eyed alien's hands are too big, etc.

11. CT-867-5309

Jan 5, 2011
    I know.
    :*

anakinfansince1983 and eht13 like this.
  12. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    If I were writing the script I honestly wouldn't give a toss what the fans want, I would just try to write the best script I could while trying to keep true to the source material.
    When you start to pander to what people want, things tend to fall apart, too many cooks spoiling the broth and all that.
    You're better to give the fans something they didn't even know they wanted, it's a much more difficult mountain to scale, but the result are always better.

13. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I like that thought, not to mention, Ardnt created some really awesome characters in Toy Story 3 to join the fan favorites from the franchise. However, if I were Ardnt and Lucas's treatment says "Skywalker Child does XXX" I might utilize wookieepedia to see if Luke has a kid anywhere

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I second that!

15. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    Many people fall into many different categories

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  17. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I don't and I won't. I feel that analysis of different subcultures within the Star Wars community is important to understand what we will recieve for the Sequel Trilogy. However, I will admit that there is alot of resistance to this thread and it isnt my best. I have no problem saying that I am an OT fan first, with EU second, PT third, and have a tolerance for TCW. Stand up and be counted. May I just ask, How are you a Force Ghost?

18. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    Sure, but this list doesnt cover the basics.

19. Kyris Cavisek

Nov 12, 2012
    I should have included a Film Purist, who Love star wars but hate anything outside the movies and see anything else as fan fic, then we got Saga fans...

20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I don't like being put in to categories.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    What if I like everything? What then?

22. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    How about STAR WARS fan? I saw the OT in theaters, 70mm and 35mm. Still like 'em. Guess what, I like the SE. I like the PT. I like TCW. I like the early EU.

23. LunarMoth

Nov 27, 2012
    I guess I should put my cards on the table here:

I grew up on OT.
    Liked the Special Editions.
    Liked the PT.
    Like the Clone Wars
    Like some of the EU stuff although I'll fully admit that I have only read a couple of the books.

My opinion of whats "real" and whats not:

I kinda feel like the movies are their own thing. When speculating as to what might come in a Sequel Trilogy, I can only consider what is in the previous films. This is because thats all there is to go on in continuing the story beening told by the films. Obviouly I am aware that the EU exists, but lets take Chewies death as an example. If the ST starts, and Chewie is dead because he died in EU content, how does the general audience know this? Sure they could include it in the opening crawl, or in some exposition in dialogue, but I would think that was just poor writing. Thats not to say that if a choice was made not to include Chewie for some reason, that they couldnt leave him out, but if he was not in the ST, I dont think it HAS to be because he died in the EU.

I have always looked at the EU as "What ifs" or someting for people who just wanted more. I have enjoyed some of the things I have read, but never did I take it as gospel that Leia was making out with some lizardy mob boss while out looking for Han between Empire and Jedi. What I took it as was a cool story about a time not seen in the movies. A creative "What if".

But thats just me. (And I understand that.)

V-2 likes this.
  24. lord_eidolon

lord_eidolon Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 2, 2004
    I can't vote, because I don't see option 8:

Star Wars fan. Loves everything SW.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  25. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    What is a "hearth throbber"?

Someone who throbs inside the fireplace?