main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The New Jedi Order Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Paddy O'Furniture, Dec 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Paddy O'Furniture

Jedi Paddy O'Furniture Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2012
    I'm considering reading the New Jedi Order starting with Vector prime. Does anyone have any opinions, convictions, praise, qualms, or warnings about this series?

2. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Prepare for an awesome ride.

3. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Best EU ever!

Samayel_ and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    It depends. Some loved it. Some hated it. I personally felt like it just dragged on way too long. It did not need to be 19 books or whatever number it was.

5. FatSmel

FatSmel Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 23, 2012
    Those

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    First off, awesome username. Jedi Paddy O'Furniture? That's just brilliant.

I love the NJO. It has a lot of great new characters and uses older characters really well, better than most of the books that followed this series. And it's a great story. Read every book, they're all worth it at least a little bit.

son_of_skywalker03 and Esg like this.
  7. Jedi Paddy O'Furniture

Jedi Paddy O'Furniture Jedi Youngling

Dec 9, 2012
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to amazon now.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    If you start it, stick with it to the end. The conclusion is epic, one of the best Star Wars books of all time.

9. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I just started reading it for the first time (more or less). Vector Prime is really fascinating and it's setting up a lot of action for later books. It promises to be entertaining.

10. darthjulian777

darthjulian777 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 28, 2008
    It's by far the best series, it's the darkest, and has the most drama. Be prepared to be shocked because of how different it is.

11. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    I love the NJO save a few personal gripes, but the main storyline after it, DNT, LotF, and FotJ, angers me so much, and makes some things in the NJO extremely difficult to stomach, to the point that actually reading the post-NJO is out of the question for me.

12. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I read Vector Prime, meh, some parts were good but I didn't find it that great. Chewie's death was devastating, though. I might read some more in the series. Do I really have to read all of them though? Which ones should I skip?

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Skip Force Heretic 2. Everything else is fine.

RC-1991 and Jeff_Ferguson like this.
  14. JediLaw

JediLaw Jedi Master star 3

Oct 30, 2001
    It is a good series. It starts off strong and meanders a bit in the middle .. . . . then picks up big time with Star by Star and continues right on to The Unifying Force. I can honestly say that, for all its faults, the NJO was the last series that captured and kept my attention all the way to the end. The most recent series . . . blah! I FORCED myself to finish it.

15. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Vector Prime is probably the weakest NJO book, along with Dark Journey. But the rest are all fantastic, especially Star by Star, Traitor, Destiny's Way, The Unifying Force.
    Also Balance Point is kind of crap.

DNT are my favourite SW books. IMO they are perfect examples of the way they should be written.
    - Perfect amount of action
    - Space battles/starfighters
    - Lightsaber Duels
    - Political issues
    - Serious threat, but not necessarily galaxy spanning

also i love the way Troy Denning writes, even if the direction he has taken the post-NJO EU is questionable

16. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    DNT may very well be all of those things, but if I can't stand things like the story or what he does to certain characters, then what is the point.

My gripe is DNT was basically a reset button for the NJO that started everything that is wrong with the post-NJO.

17. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    I actually completely disagree with that. DNT handled Post-NJO beautifully with the vong-formed coruscant, rebuilding processes and the Jedi's new understanding of the force (thanks to Vergere's influence).
    It was LOTF that it the "reset button" and ruined all that. Coruscant went back to regular old coruscant, the YV influence was almost completely ignored (except for World Brain in Tempest) and they made Vergere a sith all along . . .

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    That's not the reset button I was referring to, which was Luke's inexplicable change in philosophy. I was also under the impression that there wasn't any rebuilding and it was somewhat of a reset button for TUF, but then again, I have no interest in reading the osik that is the post-NJO, so it makes no difference to me.

19. FatSmel

Sep 23, 2012
    Yeah well, like i said, DNT actually adressed a lot of the Post NJO issues that should have been there, before LOTF ignored everything. Annoyingly.

20. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Well, I don't like enough about DNT that it is apart of the never reading club along with LotF and FotJ.

21. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I see a lot of folks don't like Balance Point, and I agree it's not a great book, but it felt crucial to me for the Solo family in particular.

22. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    The series really drags on in parts, but as a whole I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it did many of the characters justice throughout it entirety. The only two real mistakes they made were making it to long, and not have a firm exit strategy from the series after the final book. You could tell they never sat down as they were finishing the series to say, "So where do we take these characters after such an galaxy shattering experience?" In the end it felt as though what was the most significant event that has possibly happened within the history of the galaxy was made as an afterthought. Unfortunately that makes the NJO series look bad when i don;t really think it was the fault of the series itself, just rather poor planning for what to do afterwards.

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'll defiantly continue reading the NJO in the future. Is the Dark Tide duology any good?

Samayel_ likes this.
  24. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I'm sure you'll find folks who really liked those two books, but I skipped them the first time I read NJO, and didn't need them to follow the story.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't expect too much from it and you might be fine. It has its moments, those tend to be very good indeed, but it's a pity there ain't more of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.