main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Everybody and Yo Mama Wants to Be in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Lord Tyrannus, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm hearing you...

Watch those scenes (especially the jedi temple scene) and then watch the throne room scenes on Naboo in Phantom Menace for comparison...

To be upfront and 100% honest, I pretend the prequels don't exist. I really do. I hope the new trilogy treats them that way too... I don't want to see any connection what-so-ever!

Go back to what worked! They didn't.

fishtailsam and Han Shot First like this.
  2. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    You are reading my mind man! I actually pretend the EU doesn't exist either! If nothing else the PT serves as a template on how not to make a Star Wars movie. Kathleen Kennedy has been involved in some great movies, with heart and soul. And I for one have complete faith in her!

3. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    As far as I'm concerned the PT is consigned to the same club as Batman and Robin, Catwoman, Return to Oz, The Lost Boys sequels, Waterworld, Moonwalker, American Werewolf in Paris, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Rocky 5 and The Karate Kid 3, as movies that really are best deleted from memory!

4. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    This PT hate is so old...I like the PT and I'm the OT generation.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Aside from George Lazenby, what is wrong with OHMSS?

And it's laughable to say the PT should be in the same league as Batman & Robin, disappointment at how something turned outis not reason to unjustly hate on it. They are average films, not great films and not bad films.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Blue_Jedi33

Blue_Jedi33 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 12, 2003
    Yeah that would be good, do you age when frozen, I don't think you do.
    Imagine Luke finding it and "thawing" him out.

Mace could become a major player in the ST

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Uh, "universally canned"? What the heck?

Also saying the prequel trilogy has as much disdain as Batman & Robin is downright absurd and there is absolutely no logical evidence to support that. If you're using Internet Message Board Comments as proof then the entire argument is null and void.

Also, I restate, "universally canned." that is all.

8. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Ummm Batman and Robin destroyed the franchise for 8 years before being completely re-invented. The PT did none of what you just said. Waterworld was a flop, yet none of the PT flopped. What is with the hate for OHMSS? That is probably the best Bond film of the 60's besides Goldfinger.

9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    What do you want us to say? I hate them. I prefer Caravan of Courage as a film over the prequels because atleast it FELT real (so to speak) ...maybe it is because I think that the originals are 10/10! ...maybe that is why I was so dissapointed with the prequels -because they didn't even come close.

Anyhow... I am really hoping that the sequel trilogy gets Star Wars back to where it was -at the top! I still have faith.

It's funny, I thought the LOTR's films were brilliant. Far superior to the Star Wars prequels. Looks like Peter Jackson has made some of the same mistakes that Lucas made with the overuse of cgi, the stupid humor etc etc

Shame really... Now is the time for the new Star Wars films to take the power back! :cool:

*moonwalks to the exit*

10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I think what he is getting at is that alot of people that love certain franchises just ignore the really bad installments...?

Eg - Terminator 1 and 2 were great!
    Terminator 3 was horrible...easy solution = doesn't exist.

Quite alot of my friends feel the same way I do about Star Wars...they have all the originals but not the new ones. Oh well...

fishtailsam likes this.
  11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What do *I* want *you* to say? Why, your truth, of course, even hate or disdain. I am just tired of those who dislike (or worse) the PT throwing out the "universally hated" and "no one likes" and "everyone knows how bad they are" lines. Everytime this is said I bite my tongue OR stick in my thoughts - why must we continue to debate whether it is true or false that "everyone knows___" crap?

No. Objectively, (generic) you are wrong when you say/imply "everyone dislikes/hates/condemms/__" - you are well within your rights to say *I* hate them. But really, after all this time, why is it still so important to inject one's hate, dislike of the PT into almost every thread on every conceivable SW related issue?

eht13 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    PT hatred that's still going strong? How depressing.

13. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    So.....
    Ewan; He's cool.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ewan probably doesn't hate the prequels. Come on what would Ewan say to all of this nonsense right now? I bet he'd be deeply ashamed in all of you. SHAME ON YOU SHAME ON YOU.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Two words: Hell no.

This thread is hilarious. It went from the possibility of Ewan appearing in the ST (as Obi-Wan's Force ghost I suppose?) to "Let's talk about how the PT sucked and all the actors in the PT sucked."

16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    It also turned into an EU discussion. Seems to be happening a lot these days.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    LOL there using the "everybody hates" tagline again? Poor guys, they must have never been on a SW forum....oh wait...

Roger Ebert of the Chicago Sun Times gave The Phantom Menace three and a half out of four stars, calling it "an astonishing achievement in imaginative filmmaking," and stating that "Lucas tells a good story." Ebert also commented that it was perfectly fine for the characters being a bit less compelling, seeing that they were just being introduced, and hypothetically entreating filmmakers to "give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day."

18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Your opinion does not equal "universal". Oh, you can have one of these too: :rolleyes:

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Yeah, I'll be losing sleep over that...

You guys are going to be defending these films forever... Why? It won't make people love them. They will NEVER be held in the same regard as the originals because...well...let's face it -they are bad films. (Darth Maul gets a pass)

You might be in the majority on these boards -but go anywhere else and see what the opinions are.

Anyways... Don't bother quoting me and trying to engage me in more conversation about it, you won't change my mind and I am not here to change yours.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Ain't that the truth.

And LMAO at the assumption that expressing one's enjoyment of films is an attempt to "make people love them." Maybe we own our opinions and are simply expressing them, since that's what a message board is for, as opposed to being so insecure that we need to "make" anyone else like them?

I'm still waiting for the part where I'm supposed to give a flying **** what "people" are saying "anywhere else."

eht13 and Valairy Scot like this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I still think the PT had better CGI than most other blockbuster movies. Yes, that includes LOTR as well. Gollum is a great character, not just "CGI" character, that's why people don't mind him. Other than that, there was plenty of fake CGI (Moria, for example). The PT used a lot of models too. Most people complaining about CGI can't even distinguish the "real" from the "fake".

22. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, maybe you and every other hateboy stop rewriting history? The reaction was mixed to good, it's far from "universally canned". And there're a lot of people who don't hold the originals in high regard these days, especially ROTJ.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah so Ewan is a really good actor, and I like that he's interested in doing more work in SW.

24. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    The CG was great in the PT, my beef is that it was over-utilised. But there is absolutely no denying the quality of it, and that sequence at the start of RotS was effing phenominal.

25. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    If Luke is around, I wouldn't mind seeing Ewan as Obi-Wan's Force ghost a la ESB or ROTJ.

And yeah, I like Ewan when he isn't falling into a giant toilet.