main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Doesn't Obi-Wan point out in Obsession that "every Padawan on Coruscant" knows where Anakin is spending his spare time, meaning wherever Padmé is? Although I think the CW media project had some diverging interpretations with this being the most aggressive one.

And seeing how EU even kicked Palpatine down a notch - he had to find out about the wedding through Typho - I'm pretty sure Yoda and the Jedi only think of Anakin and Padmé as friends. Therefore, it's perfectly okay to constantly have them on missions together. Obi-Wan was appointed as Padmé's security in AOTC with no objection to Palpatine pointing him out as "an old friend". And what do we see all around? Jedi having "old friends" everywhere. Yoda in Best Blades and on Kashyykk, Mace with the Colossus of Destiny. Bail Organa if you look at it the other way round. The Jedi still form connections with other beings, keeping contacts so that they can effectively help on a galactically important level, not just on the level of diner owners and freighter captains. If Yoda senses anything, then only that Padmé has an important destiny, and that it is a good thing to have a Jedi with a natural connection to her.

And after all, it only makes Obi-Wan more awesome if he was the only one who found out and tried to support Anakin the best he could. Awesome as a friend - other than that, this probably contributed big time to his failure as a master.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Panaka I think. From the Revenge of the Sith Visual Dictionary. In the RoTS novel he says "Do you think I have no friends among the Naboo clergy? Your secret marriage has never been secret. Not from me, at any rate."

3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Has the EU attempted to address this discrepancy at all?

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No reason he can't be both; a lieutenant governor is a civil administrative position and a naval commander is a military position. Yeah, the former is more powerful than the latter, but they're different charts -- perhaps he thought a stint in the navy would be good for his career, or he is on the reserve lists and does active service from time to time in between administrative duties.

There's really no problem there at all.

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    He's like that kid in high school that joins all the extracurriculars just so they can put them on their college applications.

On the Anakin thing - I don't know that even Obi-Wan necessarily would've known about the marriage. I think "every Padawan on Coruscant" knew that Anakin and Padmé were very close, but there's no reason--or obvious means--for anyone to know hard details about the relationship. Those closest to him knew how attached they were to each other, and likely worried about it, but they knew that calling them out would just prompt a freak-out from Anakin, so they didn't bring it up. Then in RotS, Obi is feeling her out to get a sense of what she knows about Anakin's wherabouts, senses for the first time that she's pregnant, and puts two and two together.

That's my read, anyway.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In The Clone Wars: Wild Space- Yoda has figured out something is up- though not how serious it is- and asks Obi-Wan to break them up, right after Geonosis. Obi-Wan gives Padme a lecture- but as we know, she rejects it.

7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Although the GTW establishes that Tarkin's fleet in RP was set up by his uncle. He's basically switching a big government role for a (not even senior) post in what amounts to the family firm. Can't imagine that would work all too well as resume padding.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Well, not all nepotism has to be extreme. I mean, if you look at people who intern in senatorial offices in the U.S., a lot of them are connected. Yet they're still mere interns. Now Tarkin's actually going from a position of responsibility to one of less responsibility, but perhaps he just doesn't have all that much military experience yet? His civil/administrative experience + connections get him somewhere, but not to the top. He still has his foot in the door in a way that a lot of others wouldn't.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    isnt it obvious that Tarkin in his youth thought girls in uniform are cool and thus he joined the military... which is where he might have found his wife then after all? we saw her in Marvel SW, but never when he married her, both in love stuffing their home with pink hearts and sweet presents each day.. he gets a miniature death star for her, she gives him a Mon Calamari slave for their anniversary... [face_whistling]

Zorrixor likes this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I feel like you might be projecting a bit, there.

RC-1991 likes this.
  11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    not possible, never was in the military ;) and never will be

12. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Another big continuity problem that's been overlooked - I believe - for a while is that Obi-Wan was also only meeting Grievous for the first time on the Invisible Hand in RotS, not only Anakin. The novel states this and the movie implies it, Lucas basically almost contradicted himself (and strained the scene). This makes Grievous' line on Utapau about being trained in Jedi arts less awkward than TCW's half a dozen meetings they've had.
    "You fool! I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku."
    "Yes, I know. Remember those times aboard the Malevolence, above Saluecami and when you boarded my flagship when we dueled?"

I wouldn't be surprised if in a later release of RotS they edit that line out, so as there's no reason to have awkwardness after whoring out the characters.

13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    So Tarkin gives up a political position for a military one that ends up becoming the de facto rulership of the Outer Rim of the galaxy?

It's almost like Tarkin knew that something was going to happen...

Random Comments likes this.
  14. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Just watched a Sunny Day in the Void. Total ***t. Last week's was a great light-hearted Artoo adventure, and it would have been perfect if they had left it as a standalone. This week's episode should be the posterchild for how hard they're trying to stretch everything out into a four-episode arc and consequently ending up with boring, dragging episodes where nothing happens.

Convor and Esg like this.
  15. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Same issue with Onderon

16. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    Any idea when they're going to show the next episode? I checked the Wook, and they haven't listed the next episode in the Season 5 entry.

17. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Sometime in January, so no more this year.

18. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ahahahahahahah

They just keep dragging it out

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    At least it's better than that one season where they kept doubling up episodes and then showed reruns every other week. Ick. I remember they lost a lot of viewers that year.

Esg likes this.
  20. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Indeed. According to the retcons that have amassed, Tarkin had been in the Outland Regions Security Force as a young man, and retired to run for lieutenant governor of Eriadu, which is where we see him in COD. Tarkin had been a political ally of Palpatine already, and it seems evident that he was also acting as a client of Darth Sidious as well, in secret. Once Palpatine becomes Chancellor, the NEGTC establishes that Tarkin left politics and Palpatine reactivated his military commission, transferring him to Coruscant, where he was used as a sort of secret agent for Palpatine/Sidious. Rogue Planet is pretty clear that Tarkin is in on a New Order cabal operating within the shadows of the Palpatine administration. I would guess that Tarkin knew he was making a wise career move by abandoning a low-level political career at home and heading to the galactic capital, where Palpatine presumably got him some kind of fairly influential staff position and he was able to act as an agent for the rising power of Darth Sidious behind the scenes. His military career advances, he's got the Chancellor's favor, and he's in a cabal that knows big changes are coming.

During the Clone Wars, we then see him making his heroic return to his home sector, serving in the military and becoming governor of the sector on the strength of his military record, before he's appointed to the new Moff position by Palpatine at the end of the war and the rest is history. The arc is simpler than it seems when you factor in the fact that Tarkin is operating with some level of knowledge of Darth Sidious's schemes and the political patronage of Palpatine, and when he returns to the military he's working as their fixer and probably gets well-placed in the Judicial hierarchy.

21. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    *sigh* It just keeps getting worse.....

22. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, but I just have to say this: This sort of thing perfectly illustrates what a bunch of unfeeling jerks the Jedi were in the last days of the Republic.

23. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    In the prison arc, Anakin addresses Tarkin with just a tiny bit of snark when they debate at the end of the first episode. If one wishes, said snark perfectly plays into the fact that they once met each other, long ago. Anakin is only holding back for professional reasons due to them now being on the same side. It's obvious that they don't think very much of each other from the start of the arc, but slowly gain respect for one another as it progresses. This is acceptable and it is never explicitly stated that they have not met before.

24. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I sometimes feel as though TCW is designed as a giant middle finger to the EU. I can't help it.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Yeah, I didn't see TCW-Tarkin as contradicting Rogue-Planet-Tarkin in any way. You could definitely make a case for Anakin vaguely remembering him from that prior meeting and still harboring old feelings.

Admittedly, it can be very annoying sometimes. The dead Jedi thing being the biggest nuisance. But they do make an attempt to incorporate the EU at every opportunity, including accurately rendering planets and species. And they're constantly name-dropping sectors and hyperlanes. It's a weird situation. They give with one hand and take with the other.[face_dunno]