main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Lord Blackhole

Discussion in 'Literature' started by General Immodet, Dec 12, 2012.

1. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Some questions about Lord Blackhole (Cronal):
    -) Some sources state Blackhole survived the Battle of Mindor.
    While reading the novel (Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor), however, I got the feeling Cronal died at the end while he was trying to flee. Luke used to Force to kill him.
    -) Who was the Imperial Director of Intelligence during the Galactic Civil War? Blackhole or Isard?

You can also use this thread to discuss other thing involving Blackhole.
    Do you like the character? Why (not)?
    Do you want to see him back in future novels/comics?

2. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I remember loving Cronal for both B movie purposes and from a philosophical standpoint. And on lousy days I sometimes think Cronal had things right.
    Despite how brilliantly he exited Shadows of Mindor, I'd love to have him back.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ulicus , Cronal, CT-867-5309 and 2 others like this.
  4. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Batman baddie, you say?

Blackhole needs to found his own Legion of Doom with Tremayne and Vongerella.

5. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That was the subject of my first thread in the JC more than ten years ago. :):_|

General Immodet likes this.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Do we even have a satisfactory answer to that yet? The best I've ever come up with was that Blackhole was a shadow director of intelligence in a basically duplicate shadow state that Palpatine set up to consist of dark siders -- basically mimicking all the functions of secular government until the time came to transition from the Galactic Empire to the Dark Empire. Of course, that goes against my thesis that the "Dark Empire" wasn't really a goal of Palpatine's until after his death at Endor.... but when have I ever let inconsistency stop me? :p

Ulicus and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  7. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I thought I remembered an old Abel post saying something to the effect that Blackhole was only director for a short period, something like an interim appointment between the Isards.

8. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Add the Ubiqtorate to the mix and... so much fun! At least EGtW more or less patched the relationship between the Director of Intelligence and the Ubiqtorate.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    (edit - hm, did it? I must've missed that discussion about the Ubiqtorate and ImpIntel)

"But Your Majesty, who would you rather have as your intelligence director, a guy who looks like a creepy hologram of space or some bimbo? She doesn't even wear a hat!"

"She's prettier than you are, old man."

"But... but... she lacks style!"

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I remember Abel theorizing that. I like the shadow director theory better, myself. Certainly fits with the whole "dark side theocracy waiting in the shadows" mythology from the great Dark Empire Sourcebook.

And Jay: your theory about post-Endor DE was debunked by the Force Unleashed Campaign Setting. [face_whistling]

11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    What? Nooooooo. Curses! Another thing to blame TFU for -- even though I suppose WOTC is ultimately to blame for that. What exactly did it say?

This is a problem because my propagandizing only works because it has its bases in canon and the like -- I can't just make things up. :(

12. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I'll get you some quotes when I get home. I'm sure you'll find a way to work around them. :p

13. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    You can always just treat it as another Exar Mothma situation. :p

14. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    Ooo yes! Tremayne! I always forget he's still MIA!

And aren't some of the old-timey Mofferencers still kicking around? Excellent evil henchmen!
    And I say we add Sunber to the mix. He can be play the Two-Face role.

15. Parnesius

Parnesius Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    How about:

Blackhole is the shadowy secret ultimate authority of Imperial Intelligence...and of the ISB, and the Inquisitorius, and Naval Intelligence, and a hypothetical Army Intelligence.

Obviously he'd have little involvement in running any of those organisations; only the Ubiqutorate, the Grand Inquisitor, the various Directors and his own staff are aware of his existence. He'd just occasionally pop in to commandeer whatever resources he requires for his or Palpatine's projects, or shut down a particularly inconvenient internal or external threat. A sort of quieter equivalent to Lord Vader's position regarding the armed forces.

It's elevating him to a greater position than the character perhaps warrants, but I think its workable without devaluing any other characters overmuch.

Presumably, Isard overthrows him at some point between Endor and Mindor, possibly usurping his control of the entire security apparatus.

CeiranHarmony and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  16. General Immodet

General Immodet Jedi Master star 5

Dec 5, 2012
    Some Imps who are still around:
    -) Wrenga Jixton
    -) Grand Admiral Grant
    -) Demmings
    -) Governor Wessel
    -) Leonia Tavira
    -) Wermis (from the Marvel comics)
    -) Captain Brandei
    -) Maarek Stele
    -)...

What happenend to Ranulf Trommer? He had quite some potential...

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh there are a ton of formerly prominent old school Imperials still around. The idea is once the whole pardoning of former Imperials in TNR occurred, a lot of them flocked back to the Core instead of wasting away in the galactic backwater with Pelly and his ilk.

One of my favorites from SWAJ's NetsNets, Alec Pradeux, was intended to be chilling on Coruscant as the head of the Order of the Canted Circle (and therefore being closely watched by Jan Ors and Alpha Blue).

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Good old slimy Pradeux... I loved how EGtW made the Pradeux line an august lineage, and the christening of the ISD Pradeux was a magistral touch.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    He defected.

20. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    What if Cronal defected too?.. hiding in plain sight as one of Luke's new Jedi... with a new body, a new alias... like only a true mastermind can?

Come on... did you really believe Kyp Durron lived all his live in the mines of Kessel and then instantly learned how the galaxy worked, how to fly ships, where to find/get what etc.? High force potential to boot and a mysterious crazy old woman as teacher who vanishes as soon as he is established in the order :p then he tries to split the order in the NJO.. meddles with the Solokids.. vanishes multiple times for a mysterious girlfriend nobody knows.

21. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    He is in fact ... Saba! [face_nail_biting]

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I.... hmmm. I... hmm.. Hmmmmmmm.

OK maybe I'd continue reading FOTJ after Kenth's death if that were the case.:p

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Woah.... Cronal is Saba and Kenth found out... that's why he had to die!

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Some questions for me? Awesome! Oh wait... that Cronal... and here I thought I was special :(

EDIT: Oops, forgot to answer questions. I think its not been 100% explained about Cronals position in Imperial Intelligence. Personally, I always thought his position was a temporary placement for some reason before passing to Isard... possibly an interim post between Isards. However, I do like the idea of a 'shadow director' of Imperial Intelligence.

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Doom!
    [​IMG]

25. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    From the Rebellion Era Sourcebook :

As the head of Intelligence, Blackhole had unparalleled access to the galaxy's unfathomable seas of information. He interfered little in the already smoothly running daily functions of Intelligence - few ever noted his addition to their ranks. Instead, he holed himself away in his sanctuary, meditating on the countless data-documents streaming through his office, awaiting dark side visions to act upon.

This seems to support the idea of him being some sort of shadow director. Maybe he did this while Isard acted as the 'real', visible director of Intelligence.