main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Lucas clarifies his 'consultant' role

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by dolphin, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

Kyris Cavisek likes this.
  2. stellarmagic01

stellarmagic01 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Does any of this surprise me? No.

3. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    Am I the only one who keeps thinking of Office Space when I hear about Uncle George's role as consultant?

[​IMG]

4. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    Well-well look. I already told you: I deal with the god damn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills; I am good at dealing with people. Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?

5. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

LOL...indeed. Perhaps Episode VII is far enough in the future that those who know the term "lightsaber" are all dead (except for Leia, Han, & Luke...Chewie as well but nobody but Han would understand him).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    This is bad news for me personally. I want GL to be a big part of this, not just a consultant. Without GL it won't feel like a SW movie...

7. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Disagree, Lucas has always been best as an ideas man, but needs somone to refine things, that way things like midichlorians and Jar Jar can be edited out. Well that and his casting choices which are less than stellar .... Jake Lloyd, Hayden Christienson, Natalie Portman etc.

8. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I've noticed that some on here always get all defensive when someone says they shoudn't expect elements of the EU in EP VII....Now, I am as big a fan of the EU as anyone else...but IIRC, Lucasfilm/Kathleen Kennedy/Disney, whoever-actually SAID they won't be drawing from the EU at all. So when people say that stuff on here, (myself included), their statement is just based on that fact. Not just EU bashing or whatever.

I would imagine GL's "consultant" role might be similar to what he does for TCW series. Cos doesn't he kind of have some input on certain elements in those episodes??? I don't know-I may be wrong on that, but that's just my prediction. And if that is the case-great-cos I think it's pretty safe to say most people here enjoy the episodes/storylines of TCW!

Artoo-Dion likes this.
  9. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    "Guys, honestly. I really just don't have that much to do." - George Lucas

10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    The Wookipedia time line should be law !

11. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    It will be law, if the 28th amendment is passed!

12. KamSolusar

KamSolusar Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 8, 2001
    We're talking about the guy that kept referring to Rodians as "Greedos" because he didn't know what the species was called and relied on other people to keep track of all in-universe information?

Esg likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They said it will be an Original Story- not quite the same thing.

14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Names and surface details aren't really what Lucas means, IMHO. He's talking about the universe's internal logic--the how and why, not the what and where.

V-2 likes this.
  15. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Exactly. He's not there as a repository of trivia. Casual movie goers do not care at all what Greedos are supposed to be called according to some book/comic/audio tape/computer game/trading card game/etc.

16. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

Didn't Lucas say this at the start?

17. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    And cause for much celebration![face_laugh]

The EU is getting the shaft, the glorious shaft!

Just need to move on. On the bright side he nearly trashed the whole saga with the PT! The best Star Wars movies had Lucas no where near the director's chair or writing dialogue! The future looks very bright.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  18. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, the lazer sword guy.

19. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't Lucas refer the Gungans to Spielberg as the Gungas at one point? I think it was right before TPM hit theaters.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    “I mean, they have a hundred encyclopedias and things, but I actually know a lot." --George Lucas, emphasis mine

Actually, this is one of the first times we've heard anything about the writing team using existing reference books.

Esg likes this.
  21. fenton

fenton Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    No proof? Lucas is saying when they have questions they will go to him and he'll answer. If they were going to use the EU characters or plots they wouldn't go to someone who didn't write them and (according to him) doesn't know anything about them.

22. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    See the above post and Hildago's blog know it all

23. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    Hildago said he would be there if they needed him to do research. But that doesn't mean he looking at hte EU.

24. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It doesn't disprove it either so get proof or ****

Watch your language, please.

25. fenton

Nov 29, 2001
    I could say the same to you.

Lucas wrote the treatment they are working off of, and when has Lucas ever cared what came in the EU? He will continue to consult and Kennedy has said that the world they are working in is in Lucas's head. Kennedy also dismissed the EU book series, saying they didn't have a book series to serve as a template for the movies (ie - the further adventures of Jaina and Ben).

You're right, no one has said "we are disregarding the EU", however there are many indications and hints. Where is the proof that they aren't throwing the EU out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.