main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Number Kriffing One, Baby: Prisoner of the Floating World

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I presume mini.

2. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Palpatine was a Sith Lord, so what you say isn't true, from a certain point of view. :p[face_skull]

--Adm. Nick

3. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    It is not mini, the website this comic intel comes from says "ONGOING!"

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I doubt it was an actual child of Palpatine's. An illegitimate child of Palpatine's wouldn't be a member of the Imperial Family, and I don't see the Tagges being too excited about inviting the fruits of shame (or insert whatever other 19th century pejorative you want) into their ranks. Triclops in general doesn't seem to be terribly well known. We're probably talking distant relatives here, especially considering what happened to Palpatine's immediate family. Aside from Triclops, Ederlathh is probably the closest possible relation to the Emperor, and she's female. So we'd have to look at someone who's a distant cousin -- we know Volpau was a third cousin.

AdmiralNick22 , and George Washington was a Freemason, but we don't follow masonic rules of succession in this country :p

5. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    It's an ongoing. The series is "Legacy". "Prisoner of the Floating World" is just the arc title.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How do we refer to this, anyway, arc aside... ? Legacy #51? Legacy #57? Legacy 2.0 #1 ? :p

Perhaps even Leegacy? :p

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Without legitimate close relatives, illegitimate ones might have some degree of claim, so be sought after anyway.

8. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Legacy II: #01?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I still wonder why then these distant cousins etc. of Palpatine counted as Imperial family.. isn't there a limit as to what degree one is part of the core family and thus part of the Imperial family? Why did he need/allow for an Imperial family at all given he does not care at all about them and they had no use to his plans ever except as reminder of his hated and now dead closer family he had slain.

Thus my request, can Imperial family mean less his distant cousins and more so adopted family or in other words, the family he created through Imperial titles he handed out? In that regard, Baron Soontir Fel had gotten an Imperial Baron title and had become part of the Imperial family by title. Which would legitimize the Felpire indirectly as one of the last remnants of Imperial family taking back the throne!

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Iron_lord Only if all collateral lines were extinguished though -- and a grandniece isn't that remote anyway, since we're just talking about the grandkid of one of his siblings. Keep in mind that Napoleon III was nephew of Napoleon I -- this is just one generation down.

@Ceiran_Harmony , uh, no. Handing out a title does not constitute adoption. Lord Fel may be a baron of the Empire, but it's actually a younger title than something like the Tagges anyway so it's not more prestigious. He's a peer of the Empire, he's not royalty. You can't make someone royalty via orders patent. This is royalty and nobility 101 :p

Being a member of the Imperial Family is as simple as being a relative of the monarch -- it's only recently that we've seen restrictive definitions, such as George V during WWI limiting the usage of HRH or the post-war Constitution of Japan limiting the size of the Imperial Family.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Legacy, Volume 2, #1 - it's worked for years for loads of titles, no reason to mess with a system that works.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  12. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Star Wars: Legacy II: Leg Harder #1.

Valin__Kenobi and cdgodin like this.
  13. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Why is this kid named Solo? I'm guessing part of it is to throw a bone to those fans whining about the lack of characters named Solo in the original Legacy series.
    Since I'm suffering from a serious case of Solo fatigue I think I will probably give this one a pass. I'm glad to see a series starring a female but I really wish it was someone else.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't he kill all his siblings in Darth Plagueis?

I suppose Cosinga could have had siblings or cousins of his own.

15. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Well, that's why I said a claim, not that she was outright the only potential successor. As Children of the Jedi shows, the notion of claiming the Imperial Throne based on blood ties must have at least some level of credibility. And if that is the case then in the face of there being no known biological heir to Palpatine's throne, selecting an heir adopted and acknowledged through his own religion, and clearly groomed as a successor, seems fairly reasonable.

In addition, as the Supreme Commander, even if there were no heir, Vader would have been one of the foremost contenders for assuming the throne had he wanted it.

I do, however, concede your point about the Remnant, but am not terribly happy about having to give Admiral Dalliance any credit. Unless we're arguing that she's technically got a claim to being the Remnant's Empress meaning that if we follow through on certain more disturbing implications from Revelation, we could end up with Boba Fett as the Imperial Prince Consort. Because come on, I'm not made of stone here.

Eh, if it's anything like the British monarchy then they make up for their lack of specific surname by "styling" themselves as whatever they please, more or less. Prince William goes by "Flight Lieutenant Wales," in the army, for example.

So what I'm saying is, Jacen Solo is territory that got plundered by the Hapan Monarchy, yes.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, he does, which was one of my HUGE complaints with Plagueis but that doesn't mean the siblings didn't have kids already. Edi was only eight at the time of Endor, so it can still work out ok.

Jedi Ben: Ah, cool. Not familiar with comic conventions about these things.

becca: Boy, this Imperial legitimacy argument has got some legs. :p Who'd have thought? I love it though. Part of me fears that RF or Havac will show up and demand we get our own thread. But I guess there's nothing else going on with this issue right now, so...

The notion of Fett as a prince consort is killing me, by the way. Killing me.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Palpatine was 17- and if I remember rightly, the eldest.

18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, being fair Jello, this is the first time a SW comic book has ever gotten to even having a second volume!

At least, I don't think there are any others in this respect.

19. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    It's a monthly. And of course this is just the title of the first arc. It will still be "Legacy" overall, just with a different story and different writers/artists. But this is basically Legacy #57.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Argh. Luceno, you're not supposed to break these things! See, this was why I was mad at the overcompensation for the lack of family records.

21. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    The Wook suggests that the novel references Palpatine's father had an extra-marital affair, suggesting there may have been an unmurdered half-sibling out there somewhere. Although this does raise the question of legitimacy and whether that matters in this instance.

22. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I suppose one or more of his sisters could have been elder. Still, as it stands, the "grand-niece" could in fact be a half-grand-niece as has been speculated- descended from Cosinga's mistress.

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004

Well well.. I did not mean Palpatine adopted Soontir. Merely that the Imperial Family per se did not exist since Palpatines character did neither need one, nor have one due to slaightering his family with few exceptions like the one that lead to Ederlaath. Maybe Cosinga got a shadow child he could not find to murder and that line is Ederlaaths. But, given Palpatine being opposed to and not needing an Imperial family, it is more likely he created one that in fact does support him through titles. Maybe not Fel, if that is your concern :p but like nonames did become royality and nobility once in the distant past (since every nobility started down the line somewhere with an idiot claiming a title and keeping on to it against all odds!) I could see Palpatine creating an Imperial family as the empires elite to support him and the Empire much like he used COMPOR and later COMPNOR for that purpose. So creating new royality and nobility is not without precedence and actually serves the Empire more than distant relatives that Palpatine does not want or care about and to boot that serve no official role in any administrative role in the Empire!
    Ederlaath is as annoying as Triclops and Triocolus in Palpatines eyes. His only true family was Mara it seems anyway!

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    beccatoria Iron_lord But if that's the case, I can't see Palpatine being happy to include the offspring of his hated father (and not his mother) into the "Imperial Family," which we know was a thing. And since Ederlathh's the closest relative we know of aside from Triclops, she'd have to be descended from an older sister (which could explain where the Pallopides surname came from). Palpatine would have had to extend favor and status to members of the Imperial Family for them to be worth marrying into, and I just don't see him doing that with a descendant of a half-sibling.

CeiranHarmony - there's no indication that members of the family served any administrative purpose whatsoever. It's more probable that they were ornaments of the Imperial Court and that's it: tinsel for high society to gawk over and gossip about. COMPNOR serves a different role than the Court -- the latter is how he rules the galaxy, and the former is what secures people in his thrall. Remember that it's the Court types who go to Byss to have their essences sucked up, not the goose-steeping fascists.

We also know that Palpatine still has a retreat on Naboo, suggesting he's still fond of his homeworld. Members of his family might live there, in the Palace, or even on Byss.

25. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    so? Hal Horn got a kid at age 8 or what if canon is still canon :p